Lua for precipitation

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Oct 20th '09, 02:25

OK, here's a new version that uses projectiles instead of monsters. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It will not mess with the motion sensor, and you can use physics to choose whether or not you want the projectiles to splash in water. You can also control the falling speed, and anything else that you can do with a projectile.

I've set up the script to use the "unused1" projectile in Anvil by default. You will HAVE to increase the projectile limit with embedded mml if you want this script to do anything. It reserves 128 projectiles for player and monster projectiles for actual fighting, so the total number of snowflakes is the projectile limit - 128. You will probably also need to increase the total number of objects after increasing the projectile limit. Obviously, the higher you raise the number, the more it will rain/snow.

Thanks to Irons for thinking through how to make this work well with projectiles and for the fantastic ballsackXY function.

Here is the script. I've also included an example map I made messing around with this. I used a pretty large number of projectiles, you may want to use less when you make your map. I also didn't feel like messing with shapes, so the "snow" is just fusion bolts.
Attachments
precipitation.v1.0.zip
(58.64 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 21st '09, 08:07

W wrote:OK, here's a new version that uses projectiles instead of monsters. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It will not mess with the motion sensor, and you can use physics to choose whether or not you want the projectiles to splash in water. You can also control the falling speed, and anything else that you can do with a projectile.

I've set up the script to use the "unused1" projectile in Anvil by default. You will HAVE to increase the projectile limit with embedded mml if you want this script to do anything. It reserves 128 projectiles for player and monster projectiles for actual fighting, so the total number of snowflakes is the projectile limit - 128. You will probably also need to increase the total number of objects after increasing the projectile limit. Obviously, the higher you raise the number, the more it will rain/snow.

Thanks to Irons for thinking through how to make this work well with projectiles and for the fantastic ballsackXY function.

Here is the script. I've also included an example map I made messing around with this. I used a pretty large number of projectiles, you may want to use less when you make your map. I also didn't feel like messing with shapes, so the "snow" is just fusion bolts.

Works pretty good!

If you make a new sequence in collection 4 with frame 34 (last frame of the fusion contrail seq.) for these projectiles, it actually does look a good deal like real snow!

Great job!
Kurinn

Post Oct 21st '09, 15:28

You did a good job on this :)

goran

Previous

Return to Projects