Winter II

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 14th '09, 01:56

Well, folks, I am back, and now I have a fuckload of freetime. I posted that stuff up on wednesday to get some opinions, so that yesterday I could begin revising a lot of the "schizophrenic" parts of the set, but wasn't ready to post anything till today.

Here are some much less... orangey-orange screenshots that I just made, from two incomplete maps. These have a few high-res textures in them. So far I've complete about 50, but those were the totally easy ones (like floors/stuff from last year/blocks):

[attachment=3283:screen2.jpg]
[attachment=3284:screen4.jpg]
[attachment=3285:screen5.jpg]
[attachment=3287:screen7.jpg]

And this is my avatar, cept its not the updated set.
[attachment=3286:screen6.jpg]

And here's some high res versions of some of the textures:
[attachment=3288:08.jpg]
This is still mostly Drictelt's texture, but I've added a lot of shit in on it to fit the color scheme.
[attachment=3289:22.jpg]
[attachment=3294:27.jpg]
Bitmap 27 in the shapes file looked so incredibly bad that I felt the need to completely redo it. Bungie has this strange love for offsetting textures...
[attachment=3290:37.jpg]
(that one is directly from Rubicon, but it is my own remake! [and it doesnt texture properly yet for some reason but it still seemed postworthy])
[attachment=3291:53.jpg]
[attachment=3292:73.jpg]

And finally, CryoS made Zenith a ship!
[attachment=3293:Ship01.j...700Large.jpg]

So, basically, the changes I have made all revolve around completely ridding the set of awful looking textures, such as that "piss yellow" sewage pallette swap and the purple lights (both of them are now blue). The excessive amount of purple made everything look... ugh, and the same goes for the orange. The set is still based around orange and green, but I stuck in some blue to give it a bit more of a relaxed look (it is a water set after all!) Ill post up the new shapes file on the first post, after I get a few more suggestions for coloring and stuff.

EDIT: By the way, I apologize for inconvieniences with the landscape; the actual landscape will look absolutely nothing like the moon landscape (except there will be tall buildings and crap), I just mustve forgotten to put it in both the 8bit and 16bit color slots in the shapefile.
Attachments
27.jpg
27.jpg (102.27 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Ship01.jpg1b0c2fc9_4deb_429b_ad42_d019a0b72700Large.jpg
Ship01.jpg1b0c2fc9_4deb_429b_ad42_d019a0b72700Large.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
73.jpg
73.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
53.jpg
53.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
37.jpg
37.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
08.jpg
08.jpg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
screen7.jpg
screen7.jpg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
screen6.jpg
screen6.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
screen5.jpg
screen5.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
screen4.jpg
screen4.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 14th '09, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:09

Dugit wrote:Could I join, even though I am really quite inexperienced? I could send you the map (after you've detailed me on where it could go) and you could send me feedback, perhaps?

Anyway, even if I'm not included, it would be great to see Winter II released.

Vale,
Dugit

You can definately help, what you make will definately be way better than the map I made from Xmas 1 (was never included because Obed sucks and the map sucked) :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:09

why all the gray? also your color balance is way off.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:12

ellio7t wrote:why all the gray? also your color balance is way off.

Part of the reason for this rather unusual set is because I had always wanted to make it unique. I've never seen a freakish looking ruined alien city set before, maybe the Vylae liked unbalanced colors :P The only genuinely green and orange set I've ever seen is Rubicon's Pfhor Prime, but that sorta didn't look very alieny.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Nov 14th '09, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:16

So maybe it's attractive to aliens, but your fanbase is human.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:19

RyokoTK wrote:So maybe it's attractive to aliens, but your fanbase is human.

I guess you're right, I just didn't want to make another blue and green set.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 02:30

Shadowbreaker wrote:I guess you're right, I just didn't want to make another blue and green set.

No one's making you. All three Xmas sets were wildly different.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 14th '09, 03:24

Great work on the textures, Shadow. They seem to be coming along, and will go well with a more streamlined approach as I refine things.

Here's some work I've done so far:

Ryoko, your input has been very helpful.

In general, I started out with a more abstract approach. The idea was to try to make an "alien" style which stood far apart, in a sort of psychedelic fashion. Capturing the idea of a "city" with an alien color scheme completely detached from what we usually see with most scenarios seemed attractive to me, but over time I kind tried to boil it down to look fresh without feeling too garish. I'm starting to get to a point where I can get enough coherence while being just contrasted enough to look good.

The bricks stand out, particularly because of the color. I'd like to keep the bricks, however with maybe with a different hue, since there are places where they are kind of necessary (not in any of these latest screenshots, but for curved walls) for the look I am going for. Maybe just not reddish/orange. Green or blue/slate would be good! The part where you were looking was really just to create a kind of interval between the wall, the building it's attached to, and the stairs which are behind it. I will probably dock it down by 1/4 WU and use a different texture though.

I really hope to get ahold of the new textures as soon as they are somewhat complete so I can start to adapt what I've already got.
Last edited by Kurinn on Nov 14th '09, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn

Post Nov 14th '09, 03:35

I did want to change the bricks from their bold orange; currently they are light blue. Any changes you'd like me to make to the set's color scheme in general?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 03:37

I did want to change the bricks from their bold orange; currently they are light blue.

Bricks are characteristically somewhere between red and brown. Why would they be blue? I meant that they stood out in a materials sense since everything else is probably metal.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 14th '09, 05:15

RyokoTK wrote:Bricks are characteristically somewhere between red and brown. Why would they be blue? I meant that they stood out in a materials sense since everything else is probably metal.

So if they are blue, then they don't stand out, because they're magic bricks... made of blue unobtanium alloy.

Problem solved (seriously).

Hell, nowadays they've got these lego-lookalikes that fit together with a kind of resin. Made of some kind of microfiber pre-stressed metallic conglomerate wonderstuff. I don't see magic bricks as a problem, so I for one welcome our new brick overlords.
Kurinn

Post Nov 14th '09, 05:18

Goran wrote:Are you constructing a toilet again?

Sssh! Don't spoil it!

Heh.

The term is "communal excretion deposit interface", #0294-C, to be specific.

Guess what you need to use as a plunger?

By the way, is it okay to make Lua scripts for these maps? I want to throw in a little something. Nothing too complex, just a kind of sideshow.
Kurinn

Post Nov 14th '09, 05:40

You can have whatever you like in these maps, it's not like its strictly regulated or anything. Just supply me with the MML script needed to embed it or whatever.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 05:57

RyokoTK wrote:I have absolutely no trouble with colorful texture sets, but the colors Kurinn used (in my opinion) clash horribly with each other. Plus most of the textures by themselves are fairly poorly-done palette swaps, which I'm not inherently opposed to, but... yeesh.

I mean, this just looks terrible. By my count, there's neon green, dull green, magenta, orange, piss yellow, and gray in that fairly small space. It looks ridiculous. The dull green and gray textures by themselves are perfectly fine, and even the neon colors would be great for small details, but used in large chunks just looks garish. That yellow texture, however, is really awful.

This one is considerably better; the inoffensive green and gray are used most of the time and the neon green is reduced to a light panel, where it stands out in a good way. That yellow-and-gray texture looks so silly, though it's not Kurinn's fault here; he used it appropriately, it's just bad. And I question the use of bricks in such an environment, but as a student of architecture it just offends my real-world sensibilities, and maybe it looks better in context.

Not every scenario can be like Sigma.
It does look garish, but I think its great because its really new.
Also, it captures a mood.
A dark, twisted, bleak mood.
Its only bad if that wasn't the intended mood.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Nov 14th '09, 06:20

MoppyPuppy wrote:Not every scenario can be like Sigma.

Apples and oranges.

MoppyPuppy wrote:It does look garish, but I think its great because its really new.

And I don't even know what "garish" means! Making textures like I originally did sometimes reflects the mood of the creator at the time, and the novelty of newness sorta wears off after people's eyes start to hurt. My original original original intent for this set was to craete a sense of apocolypsyness and stuff, but I'd rather make a functional scenario than one that matches some old idea of mine.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 07:34

Shadowbreaker wrote:My original original original intent for this set was to craete a sense of apocolypsyness and stuff,

Well then these textures are SpectacuFreakin'Lur.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Nov 14th '09, 09:29

I actually quite like this new addition to the texture set, from what I can collect, in the future it'll be not too dull but it'll be not too garish. A nice balance. Can you upload this potential set in the future so we can start mapping with it?

Just one question- I noticed that normalRes and HiRes are being used interchangeably. Nothing wrong with that, but it offsets the balance just a little.
Last edited by Dugit on Nov 14th '09, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 14th '09, 10:02

Dugit wrote:I actually quite like this new addition to the texture set, from what I can collect, in the future it'll be not too dull but it'll be not too garish. A nice balance. Can you upload this potential set in the future so we can start mapping with it?

Just one question- I noticed that normalRes and HiRes are being used interchangeably. Nothing wrong with that, but it offsets the balance just a little.

The future set will be ready tommorow, mostl ikely. I'm not going to change any aspect ratios of the textures, so it's perfectly safe to map with them. Pretty much, the only significant changes will be the landscape and the fact that therell be blue now.

As for the high res, I only use them sidebyside because I haven't completed them all! And some of them are pretty tricky to do... if only Drictelt were to help me with a few :P

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 10:27

You could just steal a couple more from Eternal (if Forrest will let you) or Rubicon (if Scott or C Lund will let you), or even Red- I noticed that their Jjaro remake was quite good.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 14th '09, 11:24

The Shapes update is in the first post. It fixes the landscape problem and is a lot less orange and more blue, and sorta more colorful. I've found that the problem isnt necessarily the fact that there were all sorts of unbalanced colors in a set together, just that they are used together.

Dugit wrote:You could just steal a couple more from Eternal (if Forrest will let you) or Rubicon (if Scott or C Lund will let you), or even Red- I noticed that their Jjaro remake was quite good.

There is no reason to add a single other texture to this set. It is 102 textures! And using other people's textures means I have to redo them in 512x512 myself, which is kind of annoying.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 16:10

The updated textures are great.

One concern is whether or not this is going to really be so pale:

I'm guessing it's just a color table thing with the shapes file, but I really hope that there's more saturation and maybe a little darker shading on this one.
It needs to be more blue.

Otherwise everything is looking peachy now.

Also, I didn't go to sleep because I got caught up in working on this...

Sometimes I see shapes in the colors... do you?

Kurinn

Post Nov 14th '09, 21:05

Mmm... illusion

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 14th '09, 21:35

Kurinn wrote:One concern is whether or not this is going to really be so pale:

I'm guessing it's just a color table thing with the shapes file, but I really hope that there's more saturation and maybe a little darker shading on this one.
It needs to be more blue.

Ok, I'll fix that one. I suppose if you really wanted to use that shade then you could just use last year's set in tandem.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 14th '09, 23:18

Dugit wrote:Mmm... illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDoC8BhtUyo

Can you see it?
Kurinn

Post Nov 15th '09, 11:36

No. Thankyou and good night.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Projects