If Marathon had RPG functionality

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 13th '09, 20:11

Yes of course there's a differance, no point in denying that.

goran

Post Nov 15th '09, 23:13

Lh wrote:Alright, yes, Deus Ex was amazing - but note this
It was a game designed to work like that.

Most of the 'games' out there that involve RPG shooters are crappy systems built on top of frameworks like UT2004, or Counter-Strike. This proposal is one of those.
You could just 4GET and make things a lot easier for all of us.

I liked Counter Strike's RPG system.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 16th '09, 07:25

I've never played Counter Strike. Maybe I should.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 17th '09, 06:26

It's fun, at least fun enough to play from 4:00 PM to 7:00 AM the next day straight, running on Butterfingers and Jolt.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 17th '09, 07:24

I've done that with Marathon: Rubicon before (God, that's good).
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 17th '09, 07:37

wallhack FTW
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Nov 17th '09, 15:35

Dugit wrote:I've done that with Marathon: Rubicon before (God, that's good).

I still can't get past the first level. I get to the point with all teh pfhor swarming me and i eventually die because i cant find teh way out.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 17th '09, 15:57

Veni Vidi Cursavi? If you keep wandering around, after inserting the chip, find the room with the giant 'conveyer belts' (horizontal elevator texture moves horizontal on large green platforms), and keep going east. You will find a large hole in the groud. In there is a couple pistol clips, and the exit.

Vale,
Dugit

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 17th '09, 22:38

I have found a hole in the ground, but I haven't found an exit in it.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 17th '09, 23:08

I think there's a hole, under the hole. just go jumping off cliffs and into stuff... you'll find it.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Nov 17th '09, 23:09

This thread isn't about Rubicon or Counter Strike, if you want help with Rubicon there is a separate forum for that. I don't mind mentioning that you like Counter Strike's use of RPG elements, but there's no need to discuss CS beyond that.

$lave

Post Nov 17th '09, 23:33

Good luck, Steve.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Nov 18th '09, 00:22

THIS IS NOT A GODDAMNED CHATROOM.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 18th '09, 14:45

I think the RPG part should not change the player's power output directly (stronger shooting, faster shooting, etc) nor do I think it would be useful to make it all depend on pure performance (Hey guys, Ima go levelin... Oh wait, there's no ammo left. By the way, my fistycuffs skill is 100).

However, it would be interesting to implement certain game elements that do make a small difference, or some sort of self-balancing system.
For example, the player could go to certain terminals and change "armor priorities" - allowing the player's cyborg parts to prioritize on certain things (increase radar sensitivity at the cost of oxygen capacity).

It might also be interesting to add optional puzzles that augment the environment, like switches that increase the output speed and capacity of health terminals around certain parts of the Marathon, at the cost of breaking a few later in the game.
Or you can do optional missions that change the game. Like raid a supply to increase the amount of ammo delivered to you. Drive away F'lickta from one place in L'howon to make them plague a Pfhor base in another mission.
Such things would influence the game quite a bit without being too RPG-ish. But I can imagine it would be hard to implement.

I think that RPG-like "skills/stats improvement" in Marathon wouldn't be that interesting.
I prefer RPG elements in shooters in the way Stalker does it. It still plays as a (pretty hardcore) shooter and you will still die if you make a wrong move (frontal assault = sure way to die), but you can at least prepare yourself for combat by upgrading your guns.
EwoudCP

Post Nov 18th '09, 14:52

I like your ideas, they would just require making multiple versions of the same maps.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 18th '09, 17:33

Is it possible to script all of those ideas?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 18th '09, 18:55

if i wanted to play an RPG game, id play one, not change a fps one :C
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Nov 18th '09, 20:49

CryoS wrote:if i wanted to play an RPG game, id play one, not change a fps one :C

Thank you.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Nov 19th '09, 09:47

Can I just butt in and say that my question actually had nothing to do with the Marathon engine? I can well understand how people came to believe this, but I was actually merely researching how a Marathon RPG would go down. As usual, I'm not working in the Marathon engine, and as usual I'm not making an FPS.
So let me rephrase this:
If there was a Marathon game, not an FPS, with RPG elements... ah, you get the point.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Nov 19th '09, 13:30

So... think TES IV?
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 19th '09, 16:48

WastdJamacan wrote:So... think TES IV?

Ha ha! Not bloody likely. I'm still just one man, you know.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Nov 19th '09, 16:53

So... like XBLA? (I haven't a clue what FPS is).

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 19th '09, 16:55

I still don't understand the point of this ridiculous poll, though. Are you actually going to look at the results, and think "Oh, 15 people voted for option A and only 12 voted for option B, I better make my game more like option A?"

That is pretty funny if you are going to do that.

If you really do want feedback from Pfhorums members (lol), next time I suggest just making a discussion thread where you explain in the first post what you are trying to learn, rather than an annoying IPB poll with two similar, poorly described options.
Last edited by treellama on Nov 19th '09, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 19th '09, 16:56

You said what we were all thinking. Sorry, Cubic.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 19th '09, 17:32

Dugit wrote:I haven't a clue what FPS is.

WHAT.

First Person Shooter by any chance??
Marathon is one [MUp] !!!
lol.
Fishman92

PreviousNext

Return to Projects