The Gray Incident BX demo

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Nov 21st '09, 20:57

I have an idea: Why not release Kill Them All: TCA and TGI: BX in one BIG pack! Or not.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 21st '09, 22:08

This demo just got me kicked out of law school. A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ because law school is a scam anyway.

ray

Post Nov 23rd '09, 02:22

Alright, a couple of notes.

I don't really know how representative this demo is vs how these maps are currently, but I'll assume that it's 'as is'.

That poly that I'm standing in should be underwater, but acts like an open air poly when you jump down.

It appears that on the very last level, with the poison pits, that aliens (At least an Enforcer) can survive down there. I couldn't get a screenshot of it, but I could see and hear the gunfire from a berserk Enforcer coming from a ledge.

Other than that, everything I could find was solid. I played through on normal, but it was testing me pretty hard - Total Carnage was an absolute massacre. That's more reflective of my skills than anything though and I enjoyed the challenge throughly.

Also, lolRoquefort.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Nov 23rd '09, 02:28

1. Duly noted, thanks. I think I noticed that and forgot all about it some time ago.

2. That's a glitch I deliberately left in. Assume the Pfhor have some kind of gear that nullifies the effect of the poison gas.

3. Nothing made me better at single player than forcing myself to test these levels at TC. :P

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 23rd '09, 11:49

How do you get the security doors open on the first level? I've been through the security complex running down the middle of the map and then I followed the path along the bottom left of the map killing everything I saw but by the time I reached the top area of the map again the doors were still closed. Did I miss a switch somewhere?

interion

Post Nov 23rd '09, 12:54

Yes. I don't remember where, but yes.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 23rd '09, 13:26

Tim wrote:How do you get the security doors open on the first level? I've been through the security complex running down the middle of the map and then I followed the path along the bottom left of the map killing everything I saw but by the time I reached the top area of the map again the doors were still closed. Did I miss a switch somewhere?

Yeah. Starting from the first save/2x charger, go along the rocks in the bottom left area. That'll lead to a small corridor that bends right, leading to a short staircase. Go up the stairs and continue going east. You'll pass along the ledge north of the first area; keep going east past the larger bronze door. From there there will be a few rocks you have to jump along, and beyond that, a door you can open on your left. Enter the door and follow the path, you should find a terminal telling you where to proceed.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 23rd '09, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 23rd '09, 15:05

RyokoTK wrote:Yeah. Starting from the first save/2x charger, go along the rocks in the bottom left area. That'll lead to a small corridor that bends right, leading to a short staircase. Go up the stairs and continue going east. You'll pass along the ledge north of the first area; keep going east past the larger bronze door. From there there will be a few rocks you have to jump along, and beyond that, a door you can open on your left. Enter the door and follow the path, you should find a terminal telling you where to proceed.

I made it this far last night...the defenders that shoot the red bolts are being quite a pain thereafter. Anyway, I'm liking this so far. Even on normal difficulty my rear is never safe! I like how you have monsters reusing areas. I've been surprised a few times revisiting the 2x.

I haven't played the original TGI. Should the crossbow sound like a machine gun?
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Nov 23rd '09, 15:50

I sounds like one SMG shot.

EDIT: It sounds like one SMG shot.
Last edited by Dugit on Nov 23rd '09, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 23rd '09, 15:55

Dugit wrote:I sounds like one SMG shot.

Beans for breakfast?

effigy

Post Nov 23rd '09, 17:32

It's not, but I don't have another sound for it at the moment.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 23rd '09, 18:19

I was admiring the architecture when I noticed the lava on the ledge appears to be flowing opposite the direction it should be:
[attachment=3332:Screenshot_0000.jpg]
[attachment=3333:Screenshot_0002_cr.jpg]
Attachments
Screenshot_0002_cr.jpg
Screenshot_0002_cr.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
Screenshot_0000.jpg
Screenshot_0000.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 6920 times

effigy

Post Nov 23rd '09, 19:08

Interesting...my post above is only true in OpenGL(Shader) mode.

The lava texture flows correctly in OpenGL(Classic) mode.

effigy

Post Nov 24th '09, 07:51

The Face of Modern Gaming wrote:Near the big front door is a large elevator guarded by three locked doors; as with the phlebotnium mine, you'll need to find security keys. Probably more than one.

Regarding the three keys found on the map -- the first has eyes only for the slot on the far right, the second key unlocks slots centre and right, whilst the third key is good for all. The quoted terminal text is not at odds with this variable effectiveness, but I wondered all the same if it was by design. For example, I found key number one after my visit to the library's sub-basement.
[attachment=3344:keyes.jpg]
Attachments
keyes.jpg
keyes.jpg (26.32 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
patrick
末法

Post Nov 24th '09, 14:15

are you kidding me that doesn't make any kind of sense

Not to mention I can't replicate your problem in full. 1 seems to operate the right switch, as normal. 2 seems to operate the middle switch, again as normal. 3 operates only left and middle.

This seems to be some kind of engine glitch. How those "key cards" actually work is that the polygon they sit on is a light trigger that activates the corresponding switch. I've double-checked the trigger polygons and they're all okay, so I blame treellama.

edit: and the switches themselves are all as normal too
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 24th '09, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 24th '09, 23:12

RyokoTK wrote:are you kidding me that doesn't make any kind of sense

Roquefortress wrote:It doesn't look like it matters which key you use for which step; the redundancy is just... well, I don't know.

RyokoTK wrote:How those "key cards" actually work is that the polygon they sit on is a light trigger that activates the corresponding switch.

When I was testing this, I would grenade hop around the canyon perimeter and into the tower to open the library's gate (and would ignore the 'key' on the floor), so I suspected that triggered switch #1(right). However, even when avoiding the western half of the map, I found I could still flip the switch.

In fact, after some combat in the main building (having entered through the side) I went to check the switches and I found I was also able to flip the centre switch/#2, despite not visiting the upper room where the trigger is found. I'm not sure how it activated--on yet another test run I travelled through similar areas (en route to key #3), and I was, appropriately, unable to activate the centre switch (left worked as it should, but right was most obliging).

It appears necessary to go down to key number three's location to activate the left switch, but the other two switches activate for reasons beyond my ken. In particular, the right-hand switch/number one has been active in every test run, regardless of what I did or did not explore on the map.
patrick
末法

Post Nov 24th '09, 23:51

What you quoted for Roquefortress is different, as those are uplink chips and they work just fine; the keys there are interchangeable but you still need both to operate both chip slots.

I'll look into this further later, but this is still an entirely unusual circumstance for me. Unless I somehow put extra light triggers on the map and didn't know about it? How very very strange.

In the meantime, for anyone who hasn't yet reached this level, don't be a cheeseball -- find all 3 cards.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 25th '09, 00:21

RyokoTK wrote:roquefortress is different

I know; I was being cute.

The maps were great fun. Roquefortress reminded me of Tempus Irae a bit*. I noticed, oddly, that I used my 'slappers' only once--fisted a red defender of all things.

i give thanks for my legs
they propel me on the course
which ryoko has mapped for me
blessed be his name

* Probably the 'cubism'.
patrick
末法

Post Nov 25th '09, 01:36

patrick wrote:fisted a red defender of all things.

I hope he enjoyed it as much as you did.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 25th '09, 02:42

RyokoTK wrote:I hope he enjoyed it as much as you did.

i swear i didn't say anything
he just followed me in there
it was like 'what the-'
and he just took my shirt up
and we just-
right, right there on the sink

[attachment=3349:r.defender.png]
Attachments
r.defender.png
r.defender.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
patrick
末法

Post Nov 25th '09, 04:38

Just finished the demo. Nice job ryoko, cant wait to see the final product
The Over-Evaluator

Truper

Post Nov 25th '09, 07:22

I'm already thinking of adding a number of the demo levels to my all-time favorite level chart...

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 25th '09, 20:03

Dugit wrote:I'm already thinking of adding a number of the demo levels to my all-time favorite level chart...

Curiously, what are your other favorite levels?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects