Kill Them All III: The Complete Masterworks

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 15th '10, 18:35

OK, here's some more two cents:

Pagoda Panic: 2.5/5. Sorry, but it's just too easy. The architecture is nothing special, but I do like the effect of the lights going on at the beginning. Nice one.

Poppy Seed: 5/5. Although the excelling combat balances out the errors, I shall nonetheless annotate them- at the beginning, you have too much assistance. Also, the saver here

is pretty pointless. The room fills with loads of troops, and you only really get a chance to use it once they're all dead- the end of the level.
Nonetheless- a bloody brilliant level. Well done, $lave.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 15th '10, 18:46

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the level. I only placed that save there incase there wasn't a save at the beginning of the level following it. I only tested the level on TC, and all the vac bobs die pretty much instantly there anyway and drop fusion pistols/ammo for you. If there's ever another release I could remove the friendly monsters.

$lave

Post Jan 15th '10, 19:02

$lave wrote:Thanks, I'm glad you liked the level. I only placed that save there incase there wasn't a save at the beginning of the level following it. I only tested the level on TC, and all the vac bobs die pretty much instantly there anyway and drop fusion pistols/ammo for you. If there's ever another release I could remove the friendly monsters.

I tested it on TC too, but even then, the VacBobs nullify the initial hunter patrol.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 15th '10, 20:26

Dugit wrote:I tested it on TC too, but even then, the VacBobs nullify the initial hunter patrol.

Actually I've played the level 3 times on TC and the Vacbobs maybe got one kill before they all died.

FWIW Steve, Poppy Seed is a pretty darn good level.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 15th '10, 20:35

RyokoTK wrote:FWIW Steve, Poppy Seed is a pretty darn good level.

That it is. [MUp] [MGrin]

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 15th '10, 23:40

So, before I download, is this like a scenario, or just a bunch of maps where you kill stuff?
"Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."
Formerly Felldoh93
My Deviantart

Caleb
Pennsylvania

Post Jan 16th '10, 00:07

Fell wrote:So, before I download, is this like a scenario, or just a bunch of maps where you kill stuff?

They're all technically standalone maps and all you do is kill stuff. Completing one map leads to the next map but as each map is a Rebellion, using the level skip is totally fine.

If you think it sounds stupid and pointless, well, you're right. But it grew out of an idle mapping challenge (make a good simple map in 100 polygons), and it's a healthy challenge and probably the best co-op "scenario" you'll find due to its straightforward combat.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 16th '10, 01:58

RyokoTK wrote:They're all technically standalone maps and all you do is kill stuff. Completing one map leads to the next map but as each map is a Rebellion, using the level skip is totally fine.

If you think it sounds stupid and pointless, well, you're right. But it grew out of an idle mapping challenge (make a good simple map in 100 polygons), and it's a healthy challenge and probably the best co-op "scenario" you'll find due to its straightforward combat.

In other words, it actually gives you a break from pointless storytelling, puzzles and other bullshit you've gotten more than enough of over the past years... many years..., and actually allows you to experience the core of bloody & gory Marathon combat without any other bells & whistles to distract you from the carnage. To hell with puzzles & rampant AI's, It's time to practice your strafing.
Last edited by JohannesG on Jan 16th '10, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

JohannesG

Post Jan 16th '10, 02:37

That is pretty much word-for-word the driving influence behind pretty much everything I make for Marathon.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 16th '10, 04:05

Sounds perfect, pretty much all I do on Marathon nowadays in listen to Carbon Leaf, and blast the crap outta monsters on TC. I'll probably download it for some cool kill times.
"Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."
Formerly Felldoh93
My Deviantart

Caleb
Pennsylvania

Post Jan 16th '10, 06:29

Hmmm, my problem with Poppy Seed is that it seems to encourage choking monsters in doorways, rather than jumping out and seizing the day. I beat the final battle by blasting everyone who came through the doorway, due to the fact that I couldn't get to the other side. And once they were all dead, I killed the jugg, only to be awarded with a huge pile of ammo that I couldn't use now that the level was over. Just some thoughts...

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jan 16th '10, 12:57

It only encourages cheesing if you saw it as an opportunity to cheese anyway.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 16th '10, 18:43

The reason I put all the ammo under the jugg in the final room of Poppy Seed was to encourage running into the map right away instead of trapping monsters in the doorway. I beat Poppy Seed several times, and I didn't have to cheese to beat it any of those times. It's almost always going to be possible to cheese, but you certainly don't have to.

Generally, I run straight to the ammo and then up the stairs to the higher area in the final room. It probably isn't possible to beat if you just run around the lower area the whole time.
Last edited by $lave on Jan 16th '10, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jan 16th '10, 20:15

One more two cent:

As Embers Dress the Sky: 4.5/5. Although the combat was intense, I think it needs more troopers. By memory, I think I only fought a couple. Also, once or twice, due to force-of-habit strafe-running, sometimes I misjudged the napalm/spnkr ledges and fell into the melting pot. Other than those small quibbles, it's a good level.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 16th '10, 20:30

Fell wrote:Sounds perfect, pretty much all I do on Marathon nowadays in listen to Carbon Leaf, and blast the crap outta monsters on TC. I'll probably download it for some cool kill times.

"When all of your tears dry, let your troubles roll by", BLAM! "Arg!"
sounds awesome to me

My 2 cents? "Champagne Bath" is pretty bad (Sorry Ryoko, I know you can do better, and have done better) and "As Embers Dress the Sky" is pretty freakin good
The Over-Evaluator

Truper

Post Jan 16th '10, 20:46

Truper wrote:My 2 cents? "Champagne Bath" is pretty bad (Sorry Ryoko, I know you can do better, and have done better) and "As Embers Dress the Sky" is pretty freakin good

I gave Champagne Bath 3/5 for a variety of reasons... yeah, I know Ryoko could've done better.
I told you why I gave Embers 4.5/5. But that's just my opinion. If you think it deserves a 5/5, then that's fine.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 16th '10, 20:55

Champagne Bath is certainly not my best map but it was intended to be an easier map because mine tend to be really difficult. I was also trying to break out of my usual formula of maps (see maps like The Mindkiller and Fury). Didn't work out too well, but alas.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 16th '10, 20:59

RyokoTK wrote:Champagne Bath is certainly not my best map but it was intended to be an easier map because mine tend to be really difficult. I was also trying to break out of my usual formula of maps (see maps like The Mindkiller and Fury). Didn't work out too well, but alas.

I gave The Mindkiller and Fury both 5/5. Sure, Champagne Bath was meant to be comparatively easier, but then again, the first combat level of KTA II (An Open Mind), was far more intense, but still fitted. Champagne was too easy etc.

Edit: So, is there any chance of a revision?
Last edited by Dugit on Jan 16th '10, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 16th '10, 21:04

Of Champagne Bath? No. It is what it is.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 16th '10, 21:09

RyokoTK wrote:Champagne Bath is certainly not my best map but it was intended to be an easier map because mine tend to be really difficult. I was also trying to break out of my usual formula of maps (see maps like The Mindkiller and Fury). Didn't work out too well, but alas.

I thought it was great until the part where the switch made all that lava appear. Then I got lost and fell in the lava trying to backtrack and died. So I gave up on KTA for the weekend. I can't remember how far I got, but I felt like I made a lot of progress through the scenario.
Image Image

interion

Post Jan 16th '10, 21:16

Well once you flood the lava you really only have one way to go, you just kind of spiral around the rocks and towers. You can pretty safely rule out anything on the ground level because it's, y'know, under lava. :P

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 17th '10, 03:49

My problem is not that it was too easy (though it was pretty damn easy which is understandable, 1st level and all) my problem is a certain ledge. When you hit the switch that floods the room with lava, an enforcer pops up behind a wall that for some reason it can shoot thru but you cant. So you're trying to get back to area that troopers and fighters are going to spawn at and you're trying to get there fast. Unfortunately, the gap between the ledge and the room is too big for all except a lucky sidestep. Now that is crap. It was probably accidental so I wont dwell on it, but something like that does take away from the flow of the game.

As for "As Embers Dress the Sky" I just think that level is pure eye candy, and pretty exhilarating when you're in the middle of ton of phfor with fire on all sides
The Over-Evaluator

Truper

Post Jan 17th '10, 04:06

Oh fair enough, that is fixable and I'll look into it for a pending update.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 17th '10, 15:29

Dugit wrote:One more two cent:

As Embers Dress the Sky: 4.5/5. Although the combat was intense, I think it needs more troopers. By memory, I think I only fought a couple. Also, once or twice, due to force-of-habit strafe-running, sometimes I misjudged the napalm/spnkr ledges and fell into the melting pot. Other than those small quibbles, it's a good level.

Thank you. The reason for lack of troopers is simple. I generally dislike fighting troopers. I do agree about the ledges. They are a bit of a frustration/flow killers, although semi-intentional to add a bit of a variety to the flow, to make people stop for a second and take careful steps. In the early build of that level those ledges were a LOT MORE frustrating but they had some fine tuning throughout the versions of the map until the final one.

Truper wrote:As for "As Embers Dress the Sky" I just think that level is pure eye candy, and pretty exhilarating when you're in the middle of ton of phfor with fire on all sides

Thanks.

JohannesG

Post Jan 17th '10, 20:42

I actually adjusted the ledges for the more recent release I think.

And not every level needs troopers. AEDTS is perfectly fine without them. The Enforcers are challenging enough.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects