The Chronicles of Quelouva

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

The Chronicles of Quelouva

Post Aug 25th '17, 06:48

Since not everyone here reads the Marathon Story Forum, I thought it might be worth noting something very (very) tangentially Marathon-related that I just posted about over there.

TL;DR version: 20 years ago today I started writing an enormous story, this year I finally started putting actual effort into it, and now it's almost kinda-sorta readable and I'd love it if anyone would acknowledge the fact that it even exists. It's called The Chronicles of Quelouva.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 25th '17, 19:42

Thank you, that is actually more of a response than I've gotten from most people all year.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 25th '17, 20:04

I'll probably comment more at the Story Forum than here for the sake of keeping track of things, but I'd just like to say here: what I've read thus far (all the Antiquity summaries, one of the Meij) is pretty interesting.
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Sep 6th '17, 04:19

I don't know how long it will take you to finish this, but I expect it may take me at least as long to read it. I am fascinated, and I will probably not be bored for some time now. Kudos to you, and don't stop for anything.

Edit: Ugh, you wrote what looks like a Philosophy textbook. Earlier (last month) I just poked through some of it looking at what I thought was some hard (soft?) sci-fi (fantastic space opera) (space-involved fantasy) and got lost in the thing to the point of futility. Just now I looked at your introduction and the follow-ons to said introduction.

I'd need to gain some similar corpus of information you hold to even begin to unpack all the isms and your takes on them. I know most of it is still in brackets and you're looking for a way to break things down, but 'whoa'. Buddy, you sure can think, and by extension, write. Did you just implement your own formal logic notation in there too? I'm just glazing over this, because I'm half awake, but damn.

I'll work through all this eventually, but damn you. I just get out of school, and now here you go with this. Good job, but really, good job. Ugh, this is really going to take forever to read. :P

Seriously, just keep writing. You're doing okay.

Kuurin

Post Sep 6th '17, 06:03

Thanks Kuurin, glad you're impressed. :) I don't know when I'll ever get back to working on the Codex (the philosophy book); that's the kind of thing where there's actually a right or wrong way to do it, and I'm usually not in a clear enough state of mind these days to really be sure enough that I'm doing it the right way anymore. With fiction, like the Chronicles, there's really no right or wrong, so I can just force myself to write something, anything, and come back around and tidy it all up later and there's no loss. But finishing the Codex will probably have to wait until the mythical day of my retirement, if I've still got enough brain cells left to rub together by then.

(And yeah, part of the Codex is coming up with a new formal logic notation, though I'm not sure if that will survive to the final form of it or not).

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 18th '17, 05:56

If anyone here hasn't also been reading along at the MSF, this phase of writing the Chronicles is "done" now. I'm going to spend the next month or so doing some general cleanup stuff, but it's basically all there now (such as it is, for this stage) if anyone cares to read it. Constructive criticism of any kind is encouraged, whether it's "this part doesn't make any sense, why wouldn't they just..." to just simple spelling errors.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 18th '17, 10:26

I always wanted to make a lore series of sorts. I haven't read through this series(Yet) but by all the praise here, I presume it's great. Maybe if I'm to work on my thing then I can learn from you.
Screamernail

Return to Projects