Hd Eternal Weapons

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

So, I said earlier that I would make a thread once I had something worth showing. It is a bit on the rough side, but here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZbU ... zdLazc5b3M

This .zip file contains everything necessary to run and make changes to the weapon set, you just need to put it in place. The modified shape file is needed for the shapes to display correctly, but it wont work for software mode. so a shape patch will be needed at some point.

---

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZbU ... 2pyVmVzSzg

This .zip file will work as a normal plugin, just unpack and place in your plugins folder, you still need the modified shape file though, so here it is on it's own: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZbU ... HZjWmVqb3c

Right now what I need to know is what to do next regarding changes, polish, and format. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

holy hell that is awesome! thank you!

i am super buried in life beating the fuck out of my right now so i can't review in detail but the bit that I looked at (started a later level and cycled through all the weapons) was super kick ass!

the only real bug I noticed is that the grav blade arm sprite cuts off on wide screens.

also had a thought that maybe you could do updated HUD weapons too? had a thought a while back about rotating wirefames in the HUD. I think Hopper knew how to implement that, I forget now.

will review in more detail when i have a moment to breath, but for now, just thank you so much!

ETA two other thoughts:
the Havok Rifle doesn't look much like the original, either the M1 or M2 version. Those were basically grey blobs though, so... maybe it's better this way? What does everyone else think? (EDIT again: after peeking at the source files to see the weapons on ground I see that the on-ground sprites do look a lot more like the original), and the in-hand view is consistent with them, so I guess I withdraw the criticism).

and, any chance of doing updated player sprites too? holding your beautiful weapons?
General Tacticus
Cyborg

1) I'll get to fixing the grav blades- I dont have a wide monitor to test so I'll go for overkill this time

2) Hud stuff shouldn't be to hard to make, not sure about wireframes. I see what I can do

3) yeah, the havoc rifle is what I had most trepidation over, consistency aside

4) There are a lot of things that would be easier to do first, but I can see it being a long term goal.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Ok, here is a set of basic weapon display sprites, I don't know enough about HUD stuff to use them without messing with the other plugin. In other words, just here in case they are useful.
Attachments
hud assets.zip
(658.82 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Awesome, thanks so much! I will try to find time to play with these later tonight and see how easily they can be integrated into the HUD.

Anyone know if Hopper is still around? I remember talking to him about some cool rotating-HUD-weapons thing we were going to do when working on the Eternal HUD before, and maybe he could collaborate with Tacticus here to make that happen?

ETA: I poked around and it looks like there's just a folder of images in /Plugins/Eternal-HUD/HUD/right/weapons/ that just need to be replaced by images with the right dimensions and file names. I hacked together a rough version of that by resizing the images you provided but it might look better to render them at that size to begin with?
General Tacticus
Cyborg

I tried remaking them at proper resolution with a different scaling method. I think they might be a bit too fuzzy still, perhaps I can change the color effect to be a bit sharper if needed.
Attachments
hud assets2.zip
proper size, still a bit blurry though
(288.02 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks again! I'll check these out some time after the long weekend.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Finally got a chance to look at those, they look awesome! If you want to package the updated HUD plugin along with your weapons plugin when it's done, please go right ahead, so everyone can enjoy the full glory of them out of the box without having to swap images themselves.

On a related note, once this is complete I'd like to release an updated package of Eternal that includes these. I assume you'd be okay with that? (I'll add your name to the credits of course; I prefer real names if you're cool with that, or just let me know what you want to be credited as).

Way back before I even released 1.1 final, I was partway through a texture update process that's now on indefinite hold until next year at least. (With this as inspiration, maybe I'll make finishing that my project for next year, and put off more work on the Chronicles for a bit after I finish up this year's round of work on that). What does everybody think:

- should Eternal X 1.2 also include the partially-upgraded textures?
- should it just include the updated guns and HUD with unchanged textures?
- should I put off releasing any new update until the texture upgrade is complete, and just let people download a separate package for the updated guns and HUD?
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Hm...I'd go with the first option, if only so that the new weapons and HUD look consistent with the new textures. If that makes sense.
welcome to the scene of the crash
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Once I get the plugin on simplici7y, you can do what you want with it.

Regarding the HUD graphics, I can't think of a good way to override the HUD plugin automatically, so I think that would have to be a thing for the packaged release.

Slight problem though, a bug has cropped up that is preventing shapefusion from creating a functioning shape patch

the error dialogue goes:

Code: Select all

23:45:55: [ShapesChunk] Unknown collection version -11733
23:45:55: [ShapesCollection] Error loading 8-bit chunk... Dropped
Any advice? I'll see if Anvil works in the meantime (*edit: anvil doesn't recognize it). Once that is sorted I can release this thing.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Pfhorrest wrote:- should Eternal X 1.2 also include the partially-upgraded textures?
- should it just include the updated guns and HUD with unchanged textures?
- should I put off releasing any new update until the texture upgrade is complete, and just let people download a separate package for the updated guns and HUD?
IMHO the third is probably best if what you mean is just a plugin that people can put in the plugin folder and enable.

I think the first is definitely not good - if you're going to do something, do it right; not just half way. You already have a high quality item and are now into the diminishing returns area with further improvements so half way measures just don't seem (to me, anyway) warranted.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Ok, I have tried everything I can think of to solve the shape patch glitch to no avail.

This means users will need to use the alternate shapes file rather than having an automatic patch. It wont be to much of a problem, but it will make installation a bit more complicated.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I just finally followed up on this to see if the off-the-edge-of-the-screen bug ever got fixed and found that it has been in the version that was uploaded to Simplici7y months ago. Thanks again for this!

Also what name do you want to be credited under in the next release of Eternal?
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Tacticus is fine, though if you want a proper name you can put down Alex H.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I hope you're not avoiding using your full name because you're still trying to hide who you are. Everyone knows, and nobody cares.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:I hope you're not avoiding using your full name because you're still trying to hide who you are. Everyone knows, and nobody cares.
Haha
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Oh for crying out loud...