Marathon 1 Redux

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Flamethrower secondary fire?

None
No votes
Angular flipping
No votes
Bouncy Grenades
20%
Burst of realistic flamethrower fire
60%
Something else - explain!
20%

Total votes : 5

Re: Marathon 1 Redux

Post Apr 8th '18, 15:49

A few new sound updates, in addition to the breather- a longer pistol sound, and a meatier, single-shot SMG. A few monsters had vaccum sounds fixed in the shapesfile.

Loooots of work done on the shapesfile- gave fighters M2 shading while keeping M1 eyes, like so:
BiggerGunsNearby_0059.jpg

finally fixed the borked juggernaut sequences, finally got the Marine working, played around with self-illuminating colours, removed a bunch of cruft, added in the enhanced Hulk, Wasp, and Looker. Probably other things.

Not ready for a new release yet. Physics needs updating and G4 needs polishing before I'll call it 0.0.8a.

https://github.com/ravenshining/M1R

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 9th '18, 06:04

If you and or Erich would be interested in implementing it, I think it would be cool to have a mix of your updated M1 fighters alongside the M2 fighters in Eternal. Maybe have Minors M1 style and Majors M2 style, or melee M1 and ranged M2, or something.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 9th '18, 06:57

Pfhorrest wrote:If you and or Erich would be interested in implementing it, I think it would be cool to have a mix of your updated M1 fighters alongside the M2 fighters in Eternal. Maybe have Minors M1 style and Majors M2 style, or melee M1 and ranged M2, or something.

That would be cool, although that's way too much tedious sequencing work for me to want to do. If Erich wants to download my shapes and copy them over, though, go for it!

Playing around with the pistol, I've decided to drop the new sound. While I think it sounds marginally better on it's own, it doesn't fit with the rest of the soundscape.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 11th '18, 09:06

I went over the physics today, implementing my difficulty-shift idea: making "kindergarten" act, in terms of monster vitality, speed, attack frequency, attack repetitions, and shot speed; as "normal" did in the original. Then lots of testing, mostly on The Rose, and fine tuning. Here is how the engine adjusts difficulty, if you are curious, and assuming I am correctly translating the code from C to normal mathematics:

Spoiler:
Code: Select all
Damage:
wuss: 1/2
easy: 3/4
m.d.: 1
t.c.: 1

Vitality:
wuss: 1/2
easy: 3/4
m.d.: 5/4
t.c.: 3/2

Speed (both monster and projectile):
wuss: 7/8
easy: 15/16
m.d.: 9/8
t.c.: 5/4

Attack Frequency:
wuss: x3
easy: x2
m.d.: 1/2
t.c.: 1/4

Repetitions:
wuss and easy: 1/2
normal and m.d.: x1
total carnage: still x1 but they don't stop when hit?
An interesting sidenote is that the Alien Weapon shot on total carnage travels faster than bullets do, at 1.25 WU/tick. And here I thought the engine couldn't handle more than 1 WU/tick for multiplayer...

The Rose went well. Then I went and tried G4 on total carnage with the new physics. The troopers and jugg are just insane, it's nigh unplayable. It's up on Github if you want to test it out with an unmerged map:
https://github.com/ravenshining/M1R/blo ... ysics.phyA

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 14th '18, 03:29

Pulled an all-nighter working on sounds and shapes. I was hoping to have 0.0.8 ready for today, but I got sidetracked into other things that needed doing.

Most of the night was spend running audio filters on some of the worst sonic offenders such as switches and metallic clangs, and distorting some M2 sounds to match the M1 feel. I am pleased with the results, as far as someone who previously had little to no knowledge of sound effects. Shapes have been updated to follow the new references, but not physics.

In shapes, I tacked the drone onto the cyborg collection, and imported shotgun and flamethrower bitmaps from Project Conflict into the VacBob collection. Only barebones sequence data for the drone, none for the battleroid yet. I'll have to make new bitmaps if I want to add rockets.

progress.png

Reading through Clucky's posts and Tour of Duty, I came across the original level notes. I've gone through and added all the items that Bungie listed but did not implement into the TODO list. Lots of Tycho references in there, and some interesting writing prompts! EDIT - Alien interfacer = alien energy converter probably, unless you want a separate item for accessing Pfhor terminals.

One other note - Tim Vogel has graciously given permission to bundle his TTEP with M1R
Last edited by ravenshining on Apr 14th '18, 04:01, edited 2 times in total.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 14th '18, 03:36

ravenshining wrote:Reading through Clucky's posts and Tour of Duty, I came across the original level notes. I've gone through and added all the items that Bungie listed but did not implement into the TODO list. Lots of Tycho references in there, and some interesting writing prompts!

I take it that "alien interfacer" you were meant to get from Tycho might make an appearance somewhere?
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Apr 19th '18, 01:38

If you svn update and build the latest ShapeFusion, there are now checkboxes for the M1 alien behavior emulation flags, including grenade climbing.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 19th '18, 08:10

Thank you Treelama, for working on that and remembering me. I'm currently working on overhauling the physics, so the timing is perfect!

=============

After some testing with the physics I posted earlier, I've confimed it is indeed possible to beat G4, and Couch Fishing. You just need to employ different tactics, for example firing a shot at the troopers guarding the health recharge, and then running to draw them away so you can circle back, recharge, and slowly pick them off. I sure died a lot trying, though, and I'm feeling agreement with the two people who voted to tone it back slightly. So I'm cutting back the Vitality, Attack Frequency, and repetitions by one level, but I rather like the increased speeds - as of the current on Github, a berserk purple fighter on total carnage can run just as fast if not slightly faster than you can run backwards.

As I finalise the Shapes file I'm also finalising the default monster slots, and will be updating the included Weland glade files. Differences from previous version (writing down for my own benefit as much as anyone curious):
Spoiler:
-Big Drones slots now hold actual Drones
-Tiny Wasp moved from Big Drone slot to Tiny Fl'ickta slot
-Big Wasp cut
-Red BoB moved from Possessed Drone slot to Tiny BoB slot, per M1A1
-Rampant MADD moved from Major Defender slot to Possessed Drone slot, per M1A1
-Black Fighter moved from Minor Cyborg slot to Tiny Pfhor slot
-Controller moved from Tiny Pfhor slot to Assimilated VacBoB slot
-Black Enforcer cut
-Major/Minor Cyborg slots now hold Orange/Blue Troopers
-Made the four colours of Enforcer promotable across the Flame Cyborg and Enforcer slots. Still not sure whether I'll include yellow and red.
-Major Defender slot to be used for Hounds if Perseus recreates them
-Green VacBob will now be flamethrower battleroid
-Blue VacBob will now be shotgun battleroid
-Security VacBob will now be missile battleroid

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 23rd '18, 17:24

Here's a fun thing you could do if original normal -> Kindergarten, original TC -> normal, etc. Why not rename the difficulty levels so that the match this? Red added "Death Wish", but we have some room for creativity here. And on the off chance someone new does play redux, then it will communicate to them clearly the difficulty of the scenario.

Here are a few ideas for difficulty names that may sound more epic than Total Carnage. "Devastating Death", "Gargantuan Gore", or my favorite of the bunch "[Supreme/Surpassing/Stupendous] Slaughter" (use only one adjective).

Or you could just call the hardest difficulty "It's REALLY hard (trust)".
CluckyInventor

Post Apr 28th '18, 06:52

At long last, v0.0.8-alpha is up on Simplici7y! GitHub is up-to-date of course although I haven't prepped a release tag. Sorry it took so long, a lot of the changes I've been making had to be done in parallel with other things to avoid breaking stuff.

Grenade climbing now works! Thanks, Treelama! Nerfed staff recoil slightly now that it's no longer necessary. Haven't implemented magazine-replenish-on-weapon-pickup yet, will probably go the Lua route for that because:

Difficulty level shift tentatively complete. Adjusted physics & maps so "normal" monsters & shots act like TC, and I added in enemies enough so "kindergarten" has as many enemies as "normal" did - hopefully the extra monsters will balance out the lack of Majors on TC. Renamed difficulties to Normal, Major Damage, Total Carnage, Complete Annihilation, and Insane.

Other physics changes as discussed earlier. Glade files updated to match new default monster slots.

Gave monsters self-illuminating colours. In particular, check out the S'pht in the dark, it's rad, as is the Hunter firing. Juggs and MADDs have some accent, and the Pfhor crystals glow as they do in M2/inf.

Juggernaut movement animations fixed, new firing frames added to the profile and 3/4 away firing animation, which only had one frame in the original. Looked really bad when it was firing at someone else, not anymore!

As mentioned earlier, I've imported Chris Lund's enhanced looker, wasp, and drinnol sprites; and upgraded the fighter to M2 detail while keeping M1 eyes

Made heavy weapon human bitmaps & added M2 drones: Sequences present,
TODO frames

Marine collection complete. Shapesfile should be ready for XBRing should Flippant Sol feel so inclined

Rearranged sounds a bit to make civillians more talkative but still cowardly, and security bolder. M1ified extra Pfhor sounds, added breathing sounds, & re-did a number of sounds in 16-bit as menioned earlier. Player no longer screams on death

Moved exploding fighter into decompression closet and added wind

Cool Fusion is present, although atm you have to get there by completing G4, A1 will crash if you start start directly. Put in two homing grenade troopers, deaf and facing away from you on either side of the chamber. Two to ensure vidmasters can hit both sets of switches, although, now I think of it, you could kill one, grab the fusion pistol, and use that to open the other side.

Other things I can't remember certainly

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 29th '18, 08:47

Updates on GitHub (link should take you to a page where you can download a sane copy unlike previous github links) - 0.0.8 slightly ahead of Simplici7y version:

Intravening levels added in, for teleport consistency. Now you can test physics and stuff on Never Burn Money, The Rose, etc. without having to download M1A1. These levels are unmodified and may not be playable due to wrong scenery items, etc., and will be skipped by default.

G4 no longer starts you with 2x health, a fusion pistol, and extra pistol now that Cool Fusion is in the mix.

Applied recording overlay to Radix term picts as discussed in the story thread.

Did some work on Cool Fusion. Thought I'd have some fun with those 5-D "Charge Corridors." Level is now in proper sequence and no longer crashes.

Added a glow image for the lava "burning wall" texture, made water transparent.

CoolFusion_0005.jpg

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 30th '18, 03:43

Sorry for the continued absence, I've been having some medical issues recently that are affecting my productivity.

Anyway, I have noticed that the charged fusion bolt doesn't have it's own hd frames (the original m1 shapes didn't have separate bitmaps for it) so I made some.

Here they are, along with a couple of mostly unrelated splashy effects in case you find yourself in need of them.
I will try to finish up the staff items and trooper rifle ammo, time allowing.
Attachments
Effects.zip
major fusion bolt, different energy impacts
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

General Tacticus

Post Apr 30th '18, 08:16

Awesome! Thank you Tacticus, and no worries I understand about health getting in the way of things. I'm getting foreclosed on myself, and that may limit what I can do in the coming months.

I used the big fusion poof as a major fusion impact sprite, and the flamey one for the vaccum alien projectile impact. Incorporated into the latest Git. Don't have a use for the small circle fusion thing sadly.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 2nd '18, 10:22

Huh, people think monsters need to be bullet sponges? Interesting.

Given the buggy nature of 3D modelling in A1, I thought I'd try and make 8-view sprites from Tacticus's 3D models as a fallback option. So, I made a simple "greenscreen" level to take screenshots with, and for once am thankful that aiming is so granular in A1 as it's easy to take 8 perfect shots around an object perfectly positioned in the centre of an 8-point star.

progress.png

That and some other minor tweaks are up on GitHub.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 3rd '18, 23:14

ravenshining wrote:I'm getting foreclosed on myself, and that may limit what I can do in the coming months.

Sorry to hear that. That kind of thing always sucks and I wish you luck.

I've wanted to play this and offer feedback more or less since hearing about it, but I'm kind of intimidated by the S7 description saying it's not fully playable yet. Is playing it in its current state going to be a complicated task? I'd probably still be up for it; I'm just wondering what I'd need to know going in (and where I can grab the most current and/or functional versions of things, etc.).

Also, in case you haven't been keeping up with the Eternal thread, is there anything I should know about pull requests?)

(I would've posted this last night if not for that twenty-minute limit on posting.)
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 4th '18, 01:36

The Man wrote:Sorry to hear that. That kind of thing always sucks and I wish you luck.

Thanks. Fortunately I'm not the one liable, it's my landlady, but I am still probably losing my home and may have to start anew elsewhere.

The Man wrote:I've wanted to play this and offer feedback more or less since hearing about it, but I'm kind of intimidated by the S7 description saying it's not fully playable yet. Is playing it in its current state going to be a complicated task? I'd probably still be up for it; I'm just wondering what I'd need to know going in (and where I can grab the most current and/or functional versions of things, etc.).

Also, in case you haven't been keeping up with the Eternal thread, is there anything I should know about pull requests?)

It should be fine, no more setup required than any other scenario. You might need to be running the latest (1.3a) version of Aleph One, because some people reported experiencing the music loop bug, however I haven't heard any complaints since I swapped out the G4 music for the original.

I included that disclaimer because of people being disappointed the whole scenario isn't there yet, on the Simplicity download you only get Bigger Guns Nearby and G4 Sunbathing so far (Also Cool Fusion but that crashes on the Simplici7y DL).

If you download the latest from GitHub, Cool Fusion won't crash, the levels will be in the proper order, and you have a few more levels for testing physics with. Just clicking "Begin New Game" will teleport you straight to BGN, and BGN will take you to Cool Fusion, but you can cheat-click into Never Burn Money or The Rose, which are great testing levels. Other levels may be present but not yet working, I need to go in and change all the scenery items.

GitHub gets updated waaaay more often, because I only have to upload the diff from the commandline at home, whereas to update Simpici7y I have to have a stable enough connection to upload the whole 100+MB in a browser, which means sticking it on a flash drive and taking it to a public library.

Pull requests sound confusing at first, but you get used to them. More info under the
Spoiler:
First you need to create your own fork of the project - clicl the Fork thing in the upper right - then then upload whatever file you want to change into your fork. Then what I do is go into GitHub and click "New pull request." Set the head fork to your fork (e.g., theman/M1R or theman/eternal), and the base fork to the one you'd like to propose an update to (ravenshining/M1R or pfhorrest/eternal). The options might dissappear at you and if so you may have to click "Compare Across Forks" to get them back again. Then you hit "Create Pull Request," fill out your comments, and hit "Create Pull Request" again.

Later, if you do more stuff but so has the author, I do same thing in reverse, setting head to theirs and base to mine. I'm sure there's a cleaner way to do it from the commandline, but I haven't figured it out yet. I think you're also supposed to do things in branches and not just always master but again, I haven't figured that out yet.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 6th '18, 13:12

Lots more work done on Cool Fusion, and then some on Arrival, up on GitHub. I've decided to go the invisible oxygen tick method of creating pseudo-vacuum. It's behaving much better than using liquids, although I can't disable weapons this way.

I'm having a bit of a problem on Arrival where there's a monster who refuses to budge.
Spoiler:
polygons.png
My intention is for the BoB to activate as the player enters the airlock.
Then the fighter, which is set to blind and deaf, activates when the player enters the corridor.

However, the BoB fails to activate until the second trigger, the one meant for the fighter, is crossed, and then he refuses to leave his polygon - he runs up to the side and starts glitch-running in place. If the fighter survives and the BoB dies, it will walk right past where the BoB gets stuck with no problem.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 6th '18, 14:39

If I'm reading this correctly and the dark blue squares are Zone Borders then these are blocking any signals from triggers. So, the BoB not activating until you hit the Trigger in the hallway is correct; the zone border between the airlock and the BoB should be removed. However, if I'm reading this correctly, the Fighter should never get activated at all since he's surrounded by Zone Borders and no trigger signal should ever reach him. The only thing I can think of is that he's not actually "blind".

As for the BoB glitching out. Might have something to do with where he's placed. Is his height at "0.0"? That's the only thing I can think of.

philtron

Post May 6th '18, 15:46

Can the monsters access all the polygons in that map? They need to be able to move between at least three polygons to activate. I can't think why that geometry would pose a problem, but I don't know what polygon heights you've used. It doesn't look like any are monster & item impassable, at any rate.

You can disable weapons on a level-by-level basis using physics, if that helps. Lua can probably make it impossible for certain weapons to fire in certain polygons, though you'd have to update that if you ever deleted any, so it might be a pain in the arse. You can also change the behaviour of liquids on a level-by-level basis by embedding MML for the level, though I don't know if you can make it possible for the player to run under them (that might be another Lua thing). But there's probably a way to disable swimming in specific liquids in specific levels using either Lua or MML or both to make them mimic vacuum conditions more closely.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 7th '18, 01:01

The Man, if I knew how to use Lua to do those things, I would, but I don't.

Philtron, my understanding is that Visible/Invisible/Dual Monster Triggers can cross one Zone Border but not two, whereas Glue Triggers can not cross a single Superglue polygon. I am not sure how or whether the M1 and M2 polygons interact with each other.

After hearing about A1's capability to export video on The Man's thread, I figured out how to do the same on my machine (I use a US windows keyboard under Linux set to Apple's Mali layout, modifiers can be awkward. A1 registers the meta key as "option" whereas X11 uses the right alt as "option"). So here's a video of BoB's bad behaviour that should also answer your geometry questions. I've seen him do the same thing on the petals of The Rose, but it would take a much longer video to demonstrate it there.

In case you're wondering why the purple fighter dies before I shoot it, that's the hangar's invisible oxygen tick at work. I wish there was a way to prevent the Pfhor from trying to attack it without removing the Berserker tag.

I've tried and completely reconstructing the area with more polygons, this time using Glue, Glue Trigger, and Superglue polygons. BoB no longer gets stuck, but now the triggers completely fail to function. Despite neither monster being set to blind, they don't react until you fire a weapon or hit them. Here's a composite screenshot of Weland draw and polygon type views:
Spoiler:
polygons3.png

On an unrelated note, it's a pity 3D models cause depth testing bugs. I like how with 3D I can start the player IN the escape pod...
Arrival_0012.jpg

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 7th '18, 02:35

ravenshining wrote:Philtron, my understanding is that Visible/Invisible/Dual Monster Triggers can cross one Zone Border but not two, whereas Glue Triggers can not cross a single Superglue polygon. I am not sure how or whether the M1 and M2 polygons interact with each other...
I've tried and completely reconstructing the area with more polygons, this time using Glue, Glue Trigger, and Superglue polygons. BoB no longer gets stuck, but now the triggers completely fail to function. Despite neither monster being set to blind, they don't react until you fire a weapon or hit them.
[/quote]

Unless Weland and AlephOne deal with these things differently, then a single Zone Border will block any signal sent by a Monster Trigger.

I've never used Glue or Super Glue, but if I remember correctly: A monster placed on a Glue polygon will only activate when the player steps on a Glue trigger or if it sees or hears the player. A monster placed on a Superglue trigger will not activate even until it sees or hears an enemy, regardless of whether the player steps on a Glue Trigger. I am not 100% certain about that, nor do I know how any of this interacts with the other Monster Triggers and Zone Borders. Does a Glue Trigger cross a zone border? Don't know, but I know it's been discussed on these forums in the past.

philtron

Post May 7th '18, 03:07

Here's another post where people discuss glue triggers:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4829&p=71591#p71591
It's from 2015 but it seems that the Glue, Superglue, and Glue Triggers don't actually work unless you create some script for them. But maybe that has changed since.

philtron

Post May 7th '18, 03:40

With further testing, it appears BoBs refuse to cross zone border polygons, and so they count against the necessary three passable polygons needed for proper movement. This explains the freaked-out red BoB in the petals of M1A1 The Rose, he sits on a trigger polygon surrounded by zone borders and cannot move, whereas the original The Rose has him on one of several contiguous glue polygons and acts normally.

It appears monsters in the original Marathon have considerably more freedom of movement than they do in either the old or current M1A1, I shall have to get a better M1 map editor than Mia working to investigate the originals and ensure monsters enjoy the same freedoms in Redux.

Why BoBs are restricted from zone borders and not other monsters, I'm still trying to nail down. My first guess was it was the "cannot attack" flag unique to M1 BoBs and M2 ticks, but changing this did nothing. Searching through the source code for zone_border turned up this:
Code: Select all
      /* if weÕre trying to move into an impassable polygon, disallow the move */
      switch (destination_polygon->type)
      {
         case _polygon_is_zone_border:
            if (!data->cross_zone_boundaries) cost= -1;
            break;
but searching for cross_zone_boundaries isn't taking me anywhere that looks to my non-programmer eyes to be helpful,

I did find some surprising things in the monster activation code, apparently BoBs are deaf to friendly players!?

philtron wrote:Unless Weland and AlephOne deal with these things differently, then a single Zone Border will block any signal sent by a Monster Trigger.

Looking through the source code, this does not seem to be the case. It looks like when a signal encounters a zone border, it tests to see whether a passed_zone_border flag is set: if it is, the signal stops, if it is not, the flag is set and continues.

philtron wrote:I've never used Glue or Super Glue, but if I remember correctly: A monster placed on a Glue polygon will only activate when the player steps on a Glue trigger or if it sees or hears the player. A monster placed on a Superglue trigger will not activate even until it sees or hears an enemy, regardless of whether the player steps on a Glue Trigger. I am not 100% certain about that, nor do I know how any of this interacts with the other Monster Triggers and Zone Borders. Does a Glue Trigger cross a zone border? Don't know, but I know it's been discussed on these forums in the past.

Hmm, it appears that Glue Triggers call the same function activate_nearby_monsters() that Monster Triggers do, but passing different flags. Also there appears to be no difference between Dual and Invisible monster triggers!

All three activate deaf monsters
Glue triggers activate invisible monsters, can pass glue polygons, and cannot pass superglue.
Invisible/Dual triggers activate invisible monsters, and can re-activate a monster that has recently been activated.
Visible triggers can re-activate a monster that has recently been activated.

I may easily be wrong, but it looks like glue triggers follow zone border rules, and it looks like monster triggers cannot pass glue IF the appropriate flag is set in the map file, but can always pass superglue.

Whew. All this and I still don't know why Pfhor will cross a zone border and BoB won't.

EDIT: I think I've solved the activation dilemma, at least. It seems that deaf or friendly monsters are not activated if they are behind a zone border, while hostile non-deaf monsters are activated. At least I think that's what the code is saying, and applying this to the map solves the activation issue, although not the movement issue.

But, BoB shouldn't be running out into the hangar and suffocating anyway, however amusing that may be.
Last edited by ravenshining on May 7th '18, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post May 7th '18, 03:46

I intend to learn Lua, since it’ll be useful for a number of behaviours I want to program into various levels I’ve made; I’m going to be pretty busy until mid-June, but I’ll hopefully have time after then. If I figure any of this out after that point, I’ll let you know. I’ve looked at some Lua code before and it didn’t seem that impenetrable, and I’ve learned languages that were probably quite a lot more complicated, so hopefully it won’t be too time-consuming.

That’s weird that Bobs don’t pass zone borders. Is that an M1 thing? I definitely don’t remember it being a problem in any of my maps. (Also all the discussion of glue triggers is currently passing completely over my head, though it probably doesn’t help that it’s past midnight; I should probably get some sleep and then read the thread you linked discussing them.)

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 7th '18, 12:16

ravenshining wrote:I shall have to get a better M1 map editor than Mia working to investigate the originals and ensure monsters enjoy the same freedoms in Redux.

You could try Hopper's marathon utilities to convert the M1 map into a M2 map that Weland can read. Easier than getting Bovine or Pfhorte working.

I think Weland can open Aleph One saved games, so that's another, hackier but maybe easier way to view Marathon levels. I haven't tried it in a while though.

treellama
Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Projects