Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Jan 26th '18, 06:04

Out of the two, I like the second one better. Maybe lighten the metal texture again by just a tiny bit?

That bumpmap sure is something else, though! Really cool.

Also, I wouldn't mind giving a hand with the physics/shapes files for the monster tweaks, if someone hasn't already volunteered.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jan 26th '18, 06:47

Nobody has concretely volunteered, so if you want to take on the monster tweaks, go right ahead and give it a shot!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 26th '18, 08:11

So excited I'm ahead of schedule. Went ahead and made bump maps for the three base textures of the Jjaro set tonight.

That new metal texture might be my favorite because it's just so 3D:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.02.12 AM.jpg

Here's that first one from before but more subdued now:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.04.21 AM.jpg

This one's really subtle and hard to notice:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.10.44 AM.jpg

Found a spot where all three hang out together:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.10.56 AM.jpg

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 26th '18, 08:26

Looking good! I rather liked the first version of the crystaline texture, but the second one blends into the distance better.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 26th '18, 08:38

Thanks! And now with President People doing the monster mods, if you find time after all to do the little map tweaks we'll have a whole team in progress. Hurray!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 26th '18, 12:26

As mentioned before, I'm always open for art duties if you want to change anything around/use my designs.

(Also, I've been redoing character refs and currently need to get around to the scenario guys; is it OK to link to the Eternal group when they're done?)
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Jan 26th '18, 18:37

I'm not really sure what you're asking about linking to the Eternal group, but I can't imagine any objection I would have to you linking to anything Eternal-related.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 27th '18, 08:26

Three new bump maps tonight:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 11.42.20 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.17.19 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.34.37 AM.jpg

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 27th '18, 09:20

That's just advanced man
Screamernail

Post Jan 27th '18, 22:03

Messing with the physics over the weekend.

Doing the Headless replacement first. Right now, it's a cloaked F'lickta with the Banshee death sound (pitch shifted way down) playing as it walks. In order to achieve the walking sound, editing of the Shapes file was needed - not sure how this affects the possibility of new sprites. (If we had some, I wouldn't mind adding them. Up to you, Forrest)

How much damage should this monster deal? Enough to kill in a few high-damaging hits, or quickly drain health while it's close enough to you?

How fast should it go down? The Jjaro weapons insta-kill pretty much everything in the game, but should its health account for other weapons? Carrying over from the Headless, the health is at 100 - A pretty easy kill with any weapon, but not instant.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jan 28th '18, 00:38

Since I was originally imagining an invisible Devlin, maybe make its attack comparable to that to start? We can always adjust it down later.

And maybe make its health comparable to the weakest of normal enemies? A standing punch or pellet from the scattergun shouldn’t kill it, but a few pellets or maybe a running punch should.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 28th '18, 01:10

Oh also, can you make sure that your modified shapes also includes Tacticus' modifications from his weapon stuff, and your own modified marines? I've lost track of whose modified shapes were based on whose and I don't want to lose anyone's comtributions along the way.

Also, what name would you like to be credited as?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 28th '18, 03:00

Looks like the shapes file Tacticus used already has both the weapons and marines. I'll make sure to edit that one from now on.

And I'm already credited, it looks like.

President People

Post Jan 30th '18, 01:32

Here's what we've got so far. The text file is also included with the .zip: Round 1

Spoiler:
Some Bugs:

• During the M2 Alien Weapon firing animation, the sprite flashes out occasionally.

• Tacticus' Grav Blade sprite is not widescreen-friendly while wielding only one.

Eternal Shapes Changes:

• Flickta Collection
· Changed Last Frame Sound of flickdie sequence (Matches vanilla now)
· Changed Key Frame Sound of flickfire sequence (Matches vanilla now)
· Added sequence "flickflinch", and the accompanying frames
· Added sequences "GOSTwalk", "GOSTdeath", and "GOSTattack" - Recycles existing
frames. I'm unsure if there are repurcussions for doing this, but I haven't seen
anything so far.
· Added sequence "GOSTclaw" - Instead of using an Effects slot (a precious commodity), the sequence itself plays the slashing sound for every attack.

Eternal Physics Changes:

• Lava F'lickta
· Added vanilla flinch sequence

• Tiny Pfhor (Headless)
· now a spooky F'lickta

• Tiny Bob (Nightmare)

• Tiny F'lickta (Banshee)
· Set External Velocity Scale to 0.5

• Major Energy Drain
· As it didn't seem to be used, repurposed for Headless replacement

Eternal Sounds Changes:

• Walking In Lava [ID: 19125]
· Changed Volume from Soft to Medium

Also, a question. Why was the old fusion sound replaced with the M1 version, while the charged sound remains? I rather liked the old one.

President People

Post Jan 30th '18, 05:55

Awesome, thanks! I just checked it out, and there's a couple things that I think could use improvement.

The most noticeable thing is that the sound they make when they're moving constantly restarts. Is there any way to have it just play through continuously? Maybe have it be their chatter sound, and make them chatter a lot, instead of attaching it to a sequence?

I also wonder if the Banshee attack sound might work better than the Banshee death sound for that sound, and in either case, if it could be slowed down even more, that might be good.

I think it would be better if the monsters moved much faster. The vibe I'm aiming for with them is that you might be in a completely empty room and then there's suddenly a scary sound that approaches you from behind really quickly and by the time you turn around an invisible something is upon you.

As for the something itself, I feel like even as shadows they're too obviously F'lick'ta. I'm wondering if maybe an oversized Hulk silhouette might be better (like so oversized it extends beyond the room), so it's just this big wall of shadow that rushes at you. Or maybe the Banshee attack frame, like with its cloak outstretched; maybe still oversized, so it's this huge roaring shadow-cloak coming to envelop you. Maybe all three of the new monsters should be variants on the Banshee. This one a huge fast hard-hitting Banshee, and the Nightmare-replacement a small sniping soft-hitting Banshee?

In any case, if its attack could also cause the same screen-dimming effect as the Banshee scream, that would probably add another nice spooky effect to it. Unless you can think of something even spookier for it to do than that.

President People wrote:• During the M2 Alien Weapon firing animation, the sprite flashes out occasionally.

Do you mean the weapon-in-hand sequence, or the M2 Enforcers themselves? I'm aware of some kind of intractable bug with the Enforcers (unless that got fixed at some point and I just don't remember it). If the weapon-in-hand sequence, are you able to fix that yourself or does Tacticus need to do that?

• Tacticus' Grav Blade sprite is not widescreen-friendly while wielding only one.

Did you grab the version of his weapons off the Pfhorums here or off of Simplici7y? I thought the version on Simplici7y had that fixed. At least on my wide screen it seemed to be. Just double-checked now and it still seems fine on my end.

Also, a question. Why was the old fusion sound replaced with the M1 version, while the charged sound remains? I rather liked the old one.

I am not sure. I think I changed the firing sound to the M1 version because I thought it had more oomph to it, while the M2/Infinity version sounded more... soft, like a splash somehow. I can't picture what the M1 fusion recharge sounds like off the top of my head. I'm also not clear if by "old one" you mean the M1 version or the stock M2/Infinity version, and whether you mean the firing sound or the recharge sound. I'm open to changing those around (or rather, having you change them around) if general community opinion would like that.

Anyone else have any comments on that?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 30th '18, 07:56

I also got a few more bump maps done tonight. I meant to do all of the horiz and vert textures for all three subsets of the Jjaro set tonight, but I lost a couple of hours due to life stuff and only got the first pair done, plus some slight improvements to a couple I already did.

Slightly improved metal grid:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 11.36.40 PM.jpg

Indoor horizontal:

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.04.56 AM.jpg

Indoor vertical:

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.08.34 AM.jpg

A couple of different ones all together:

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.09.51 AM.jpg

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 30th '18, 18:12

Pfhorrest wrote:Awesome, thanks! I just checked it out, and there's a couple things that I think could use improvement.

The most noticeable thing is that the sound they make when they're moving constantly restarts. Is there any way to have it just play through continuously? Maybe have it be their chatter sound, and make them chatter a lot, instead of attaching it to a sequence?

I also wonder if the Banshee attack sound might work better than the Banshee death sound for that sound, and in either case, if it could be slowed down even more, that might be good.

I think it would be better if the monsters moved much faster. The vibe I'm aiming for with them is that you might be in a completely empty room and then there's suddenly a scary sound that approaches you from behind really quickly and by the time you turn around an invisible something is upon you.

As for the something itself, I feel like even as shadows they're too obviously F'lick'ta. I'm wondering if maybe an oversized Hulk silhouette might be better (like so oversized it extends beyond the room), so it's just this big wall of shadow that rushes at you. Or maybe the Banshee attack frame, like with its cloak outstretched; maybe still oversized, so it's this huge roaring shadow-cloak coming to envelop you. Maybe all three of the new monsters should be variants on the Banshee. This one a huge fast hard-hitting Banshee, and the Nightmare-replacement a small sniping soft-hitting Banshee?

In any case, if its attack could also cause the same screen-dimming effect as the Banshee scream, that would probably add another nice spooky effect to it. Unless you can think of something even spookier for it to do than that.

Not sure if I can make the sound loop, but I'll look into it. If playing with the sound flags interferes with the Banshee's behavior, I may use a new sound slot, if I can find an empty one.

As for the rest, I'll get right to it. I believe the attack I gave it already dimmed the screen? I ended up moving stuff around, so I may have forgotten to re-add it. I wonder if the Mothrid sprites (the shadowy squid thing on Strange Aeons) from Infinity could work. Maybe if they were touched up to be scaled larger, and made them spookier? Heh, these monsters are reminding more and more of RED's ghosts than Evil's Devlins.

Pfhorrest wrote:
President People wrote:• During the M2 Alien Weapon firing animation, the sprite flashes out occasionally.

Do you mean the weapon-in-hand sequence, or the M2 Enforcers themselves? I'm aware of some kind of intractable bug with the Enforcers (unless that got fixed at some point and I just don't remember it). If the weapon-in-hand sequence, are you able to fix that yourself or does Tacticus need to do that?

It's the weapon, not the monster, and unrelated to Tacticus' plugin. The primary fire sequence periodically blinks away for a moment. If the the second trigger is held, either at the same time or firing alone, it looks fine. I'll need to experiment further and see if I can weed out the issue.

Pfhorrest wrote:

Did you grab the version of his weapons off the Pfhorums here or off of Simplici7y? I thought the version on Simplici7y had that fixed. At least on my wide screen it seemed to be. Just double-checked now and it still seems fine on my end.

I wasn't aware the Simplici7y version was different. It works for me now, thanks.

Pfhorrest wrote:

I am not sure. I think I changed the firing sound to the M1 version because I thought it had more oomph to it, while the M2/Infinity version sounded more... soft, like a splash somehow. I can't picture what the M1 fusion recharge sounds like off the top of my head. I'm also not clear if by "old one" you mean the M1 version or the stock M2/Infinity version, and whether you mean the firing sound or the recharge sound. I'm open to changing those around (or rather, having you change them around) if general community opinion would like that.

While I do like the M1 firing sound better than the M2/M∞ version, I was referring to these:

The latest version I have with this sound is v1.0.3. It was replaced with the M1 firing sound.
Eternal v1.0.3 Minor Fusion.wav

Sorry, I should've been more clear; this is what I meant by "charged sound". This is the major firing sound for the Fusion Rifle. It is in both v1.0.3, and the current version.
Eternal v1.0.3 Major Fusion.wav

These were in the earliest version of Eternal I played, and I really liked them. I just wondered why the first one was removed while the second one stayed.

President People

Post Jan 30th '18, 18:43

President People wrote:Not sure if I can make the sound loop, but I'll look into it. If playing with the sound flags interferes with the Banshee's behavior, I may use a new sound slot, if I can find an empty one.

I didn't mean for it to loop so much as to just play the full sound without interrupting itself. Right now it seems to keep playing the beginning of the sound, then cut it off as the beginning of the sound starts playing again, instead of playing the full sound. It has a stuttery effect that's not very creepy.

As for the rest, I'll get right to it. I believe the attack I gave it already dimmed the screen? I ended up moving stuff around, so I may have forgotten to re-add it.

You know, I might not have actually let them attack me. I'll have to playtest again later when I have a chance and see.

I wonder if the Mothrid sprites (the shadowy squid thing on Strange Aeons) from Infinity could work. Maybe if they were touched up to be scaled larger, and made them spookier? Heh, these monsters are reminding more and more of RED's ghosts than Evil's Devlins.

I like that idea!

These were in the earliest version of Eternal I played, and I really liked them. I just wondered why the first one was removed while the second one stayed.

You know, I'm not sure why that was removed. It is a nice sound. If you like it more, you can go ahead and put it back in, unless everyone else thinks that would be a terrible idea?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 30th '18, 21:17

Putting those sounds back in sounds fine to me.

(Finished redoing refs. Marcus, Hathor, Watcher.

...I just wanted to show you these, but by the time I thought to use PMs I'd already written that post. D'oi.)
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Jan 30th '18, 21:33

I personally really liked the old Eternal fusion firing sounds, the ones that were used for the Infinity Modulator in Star Trek Voyager Elite Forces, really gave them a nice punch. I was confused when they were replaced by the M1 fusion pistol sounds in the first place.

Grenth

Post Jan 31st '18, 07:24

Some more bump maps tonight, the rest of what I planned on doing last night.

I'm feeling less confident about these latest ones than I was with the first few, but I have a hard time articulating just what seems wrong about them to me. Do they seem kinda weird looking to anyone else, and can anyone pinpoint why?

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 5.20.03 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 5.44.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.29.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.30.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.33.10 PM.jpg

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 31st '18, 08:19

Still very much in awe of your work here... but yeah, in that second one, my eyes can't make sense of what's going on in that middle, stripey texture between the green tiles and the crystaline area. At first I thought it was steps with two different textures, but then I saw in the distance it's actually a single vertical surface? Is that the same texture as I'm seeing on the next step between crystalline surfaces? If so, it looks like there are pinstriped bumps leaping out where it should be a groove.

The first pic fought with my eyes for a second, it looked like gear teeth but actually it's rods going through a sheet. I think some of the weirdness I'm seeing is a limitation of A1's lack of a lighting model more than an issue with the bump maps.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 31st '18, 08:34

The next round of changes is about ready. Old Fusion sounds added back in, F'lickta is now Mothrid, and I found a way to make the Banshee sound not repeat itself. Oh, and there's a test map now, which I'd meant to include last time but completely forgot.

Round 2

Spoiler:
Bugs still present:

• During the M2 Alien Weapon firing animation, the sprite flashes out occasionally.

Eternal-Data folder

• Shapes
· Added replacements for the health canisters and oxygen tank from Freeverse's XBLA
M2 sprites. I would've used Visciom's oxygen tank and called it a day, but they
don't seem to have made one.

Scripts folder

• xhd-weapons.mml
· Updated health canisters sprite names
· Added entry for oxygen tank

Eternal Shapes Changes:

Restarted with the correct shapes file, updating Tacticus' weapon replacements to the current version. As a result, some of these changes may be the same as last round.

• (4) Explosion Effects
· Extended Color Table 00
· Colored M2 Trooper Grenades to green

• (7) Items
· Created large Mothrid sprites and added them into the old bitmap slots
· Edited Mothrid frame keypoints, and enlarged frame scaling
· Changed Transfer Mode of sequence "Mothrid.IDLE&MOVING" to Normal
· Created sequences "Mothrid Chase", "Mothrid Projectile", "Mothrid Attack", and
"Mothrid Death".

• (11) F'lickta Collection
· Changed Last Frame Sound of flickdie sequence (Matches vanilla now)
· Changed Key Frame Sound of flickfire sequence (Matches vanilla now)
· Added sequence "flickflinch", and the accompanying frames

Eternal Physics Changes:

• Lava F'lickta
· Added vanilla flinch sequence

• Tiny Pfhor (Headless)
· No longer a spooky F'lickta, but a spooky Mothrid-thing
· Doubled speed to 120
· Changed Repetitions to 0
· Modified Behavior flags:
[√] Invisible

• Tiny Bob (Nightmare)

• Tiny F'lickta (Banshee)
· Set External Velocity Scale to 0.5

Eternal Sounds Changes:

Restarted with the v1.0.3 shapes file, containing Eternal's old Fusion Pistol firing sound. As a result, some of these changes may be the same as last round.

• Walking In Lava [ID: 19125]
· Changed Volume from Soft to Medium

• Assimilated Human Chatter [ID: 15440]
· Hijacked for the "Cannot be Restarted" flag, to be used with the Headless
replacement.
· Copied Hulk attack sound

• Assimilated VacBob Chatter [ID: 18140]
· Hijacked for the "Cannot be Restarted" flag, to be used with the Headless
replacement.
· Copied Banshee attack sound
This should hopefully wrap up the Headless replacement for the most part, so we can start moving on to the Nightmare. I experimented with the Mothrid sprite a bit and cut out some eyes on it. I can easily remove them if you think they look silly. Also, I took the liberty of adding a green range to the Explosions collection so that the player's grenades can be green like the M2 Trooper's. I assumed their being gray was thanks to the collection's limited color table, but I can switch them back if that was intended.

Pfhorrest wrote:I'm feeling less confident about these latest ones than I was with the first few, but I have a hard time articulating just what seems wrong about them to me. Do they seem kinda weird looking to anyone else, and can anyone pinpoint why?

In the first screenshot, I think it's just an effect of the texture alignment being cut off badly in several places, making it difficult to comprehend the space.

In the second screenshot, the stairs behind the compass look fine to me. The one closest to the player is also fine - until it reaches the very bottom of the screen, where an odd shearing effect becomes apparent.

The third has a lot of that same shearing, and the rest are a combination of the first two.

It could be that the bumpmaps are raised too far, and viewing from an extreme angle creates undesired effects?

EDIT: I think lighting may also be a contributing factor, as RavenShining suggests.

President People

Post Feb 1st '18, 00:38

Those are all good ideas about the bump maps, I'll try flattening out some parts of them later tonight.

The new mothrids monsters are pretty awesome! The only criticism I have of them is their flapping motion while they move is kind of silly to see from a distance. When they're just standing there upright, they're super creepy, and the flailing action when they're in your face is really scary too. Could their moving animation maybe be slowed down a lot (so they more glide than flap), or possible have the most splayed-out frames removed from the moving animation (so they remain mostly upright while moving, then splay their tentacles out when they're up in your face attacking)?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 1st '18, 01:55

I did the thing:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 5.59.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 5.59.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.00.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.00.43 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.01.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.03.25 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.04.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 6.04.49 PM.jpg