Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Mar 22nd '18, 23:59

Thanks! I'll integrate all of this later tonight. A few questions in the meanwhile though:

What is this Chapter 6 folder? There are only five chapters. And I don't think Pfhor are ever supposed to be neutral. I'm confused.

And can I assume that the physics files Lia has supplied for chapter 3's various levels earlier today (where what S'pht there are varies level by level) are all based off your newest base physics, so I can just leave those as they are?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 23rd '18, 00:41

Ah, no, I haven't seen his physics. As explained in commit comments:

S'pht'Ia:
minor defender: clut 7
major defender: clut 3

Let Sleeping Gods Die & She is the Dark One:
minor defender: clut 7
major defender: clut 6

On all three, I set ticks, s'pht, and defenders immune to lava, because they kept randomly flying in and dying. On some of the failure levels (which I did not get to) I think you even have them set to start under lava, so they die as soon as they activate and you never even see their corpse unless you dive in the lava yourself.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Mar 23rd '18, 03:10

Pfhorrest wrote:What is this Chapter 6 folder? There are only five chapters. And I don't think Pfhor are ever supposed to be neutral. I'm confused.

I think I got mixed up and split the Hulk levels and Dreadnought levels. The Physics file under Chapter 5, Failure Levels is meant for "Run, Coward!". The rest in Chapter 5 can be ignored, then, and the Chapter 6 folder is meant for Chapter 5. I checked the current physics file for "Where Giants Have Fallen", and only the Juggernauts will automatically target you. The rest of the Pfhor do not have Marines marked as enemies. The default physics should work fine if you want them to behave normally, though.

As for Chapter 3, I copied the Possessed Drone, all four Cyborgs, and both S'pht'Kr from the file ShiningRaven sent with the "S'pht Happens" update over email. I didn't copy anything from the Tick slots. Looks like the only changes I missed were some Enemy Flags for the Syphon Tick.

I can clean up the folder a bit and add the proper files for the S'pht chapter, now that I know about them. So it's just Color Table changes per level, correct?
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Mar 23rd '18, 03:17

I'm putting everything together right now and I've mostly fixed it all up already, so no need. It's color table changes, and that all Defenders attack you on the first three levels of ch3 (now that none of them are meant to be 'Kr), while none attack you afterward.

(I forgot that the Pfhor were neutral on Where Giants Have Fallen. That's special for just that level, and I'll just use the default for the rest of that chapter).

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 23rd '18, 03:39

I had it set to S'pht'Lhar on the first and S'pht'Kr on the second two, since in those second two you seem working with the S'pht'Kr. Didn't have time to get too in depth with it yet.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Mar 23rd '18, 06:19

A personal emergency came up and sucked up most of my night unexpectedly, so I didn't get to test this thoroughly enough (mostly, making sure the physics stuff all makes sense like it should), but hey this is what alphas are for:

Eternal X v1.2 alpha 2

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 26th '18, 21:44

work this week may be delayed by a personal emergency

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 27th '18, 01:59

Hope everything turns out okay, man.
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Mar 28th '18, 05:59

Thanks. Things seem to be mostly sorted now.

Got the first two base textures of the Pfhor set done tonight:

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.37.05 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 11.11.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 11.12.33 PM.jpg

That first one is mostly a refinement of my own old version thereof (I initially expected I would base it closely off an M1 texture, but I decided my old one looked way cooler), while the second is actually very closely based off an M2 Pfhor texture.

I don't know why the color variation in the second one shows up so much more sharply in the blue variant. It doesn't look at all like that in any of the other color variants (as seen in the green above), even though the hue difference within each variant is exactly the same, just shifted around the color wheel and at different saturations.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 28th '18, 19:22

Pfhorrest wrote: by Pfhorrest » Mar 21st '18, 06:44
obviously misaligned texture is obvious

As a learning opportunity, would you identify this misalignment for a person who plays but is not well versed in the art/architecture of the maps. Perhaps I just don't have the proper concept of misaligned.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Mar 28th '18, 19:47

Around the edges of the charger texture, you can see the beginnings of a repetition of the charger texture, because the edges of the texture are not exactly aligned with the edges of the surface it's on. I think that alcove may actually be too big for the texture, making such misalignment inevitable, but I haven't double-checked.

Small misalignments like this are a lot more obvious in high res than in low res.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 28th '18, 20:08

Visual Mode.lua has a 1/4 WU snap for aligning charger textures :)

I forget how to use it though :(

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 28th '18, 21:08

Pfhorrest wrote:Around the edges of the charger texture, you can see the beginnings of a repetition of the charger texture, because the edges of the texture are not exactly aligned with the edges of the surface it's on.

Thanks.

HelviusRufus

Post Mar 29th '18, 06:55

ugh jesus fuck i need to get my fucking car back so i can get my backup hd out of the trunk that's been there since the fire in december so i can restore my fucking computer to its original OS so it wont be such a laggy fucking sack of shit anymore

'fixed' this texture tonight though i'm still not really happy with it
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.55.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.55.41 PM.jpg

then spent hours trying to get a nice looking texture based off canonical pfhor metals put together, then gave up here before deciding it wasn't going to be better than my old pfhor metal texture
31-PfhorMetalBase.jpg

so i just recreated that old texture in higher res
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.59.14 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 12.00.12 AM.jpg

but i'm still not sure which of them is better but now i'm leaning toward the one i spent hours creating based on canonical textures

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 29th '18, 09:08

Does anyone know who made the enhanced sprites for the Hulk and Wasp for Eternal? I'd like to use them in Redux.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Mar 30th '18, 05:28

I already mentioned to Lia in email, but I had completely forgotten that the Hulk and Wasp were enhanced in Eternal, and if those enhancements are not by Erich or by Chris Lund if I originally got them from Rubicon (which I think I did, but have you compared them to see if they're the same?) then I have no idea who did them anymore. I'm sorry my memory isn't what it used to be.

Tonight I decided to use the remade old Pfhor metal texture for the "Forerunner" metal texture since it looks like it would fit better there and I don't want to more canonical one I made to go to waste. So I finished that one off, and also polished up the other two base textures tonight.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.26.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.30.03 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.43.21 PM.jpg
x

I'm worried that the bump map for the metal texture may be ruining the metallicity of it but I'm not sure what to do about that besides making it completely flat. Which I might end up doing after all. Maybe?

Has anyone played alpha 2 yet?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 31st '18, 02:40

The Hulks, Wasps, and Lookers are all definitely from Rubicon. I even fixed the Looker’s colors in the last update by pasting it in directly from the Rubicon X Shapes file. Actually, the Wasp might need to be touched up too, as it appears to have been imported to a mostly beige color table. If you like, I can match the colors to the Minor Wasp from M1 (brown or beige body, silver-gray wings, purple blood).

I haven’t done extensive testing on the new alpha just yet.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Mar 31st '18, 03:37

Wasp color matching sounds good to me :)

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 4th '18, 00:07

Possible further delays this week because a tree fell on a power pole.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 4th '18, 04:10

Pfhorrest wrote: because a tree fell on a power pole.

Well, since the power pole may have been a tree in a previous life, perhaps the current tree was just trying to reach out to someone. On the other hand, if'n it were a metal pole... well, no accounting for taste.

HelviusRufus

Post Apr 5th '18, 06:53

blurgh i'm not super happy with this one but it is what it is and what it's replacing was whatever already

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 12.11.22 AM.jpg

so tired

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 6th '18, 06:40

so I kinda made last night's texture a little bit better, though I'm still not completely happy with it.

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.47.38 PM.jpg

and here's tonight's. the bump map needs a little refinement at the least, and I'm also not super happy with it in general. (this example, which is the best I could find on the first Pfhor level even after extensive searching, has obvious alignment problems that make it kinda sad to use for an example)

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.55.18 PM.jpg

illustrator's twirl function works really differently than photoshop's, and sometimes I like the effect better but it doesn't tend to produce effects that tile well. that's going to make this pfhor set, which has a lot of twirly and wavy patterns, particularly difficult. that's not what's making the second image above look particularly derpy, that's map texture misalignment, but there's smaller problems you might find if you look harder that are illustrator's fault.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 7th '18, 08:03

so tired

New texture:

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 1.14.25 AM.jpg

Also fixed the tiling problem on this one:

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 1.19.00 AM.jpg

Tried improving the bump map for that too but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Still not sure whether any of these Pfhor textures are better or worse than what they're replacing, I'm too exhausted to trust my judgement lately. Any opinions or specific suggestions for improvements?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 7th '18, 20:30

I love the purple threads on green background and the checkered one from April 5th, very pretty. The second one on April 6th, with the green threads on bright purple looks good too, in an alien sort of way.

On the new green threads on faded purple background texture - first one one April 6th, I think it would look better with the green areas either darkened or desaturated.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Apr 8th '18, 00:13

The 2nd one on the 6th is the same as the 2nd on the 5th, just a different color variant (because finding that one on the 5th was hard, so I found an easier one one a different level) and some bugfixes.

Good suggestion on darkening or desaturating the threads on the other one, thanks!

Pfhorrest
California

PreviousNext

Return to Projects