Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Dec 30th '18, 03:58

Sorry you're feeling bad, Pfhorrest. I don't want to stress you out :-( but please be carefult with git. for now I think I got the conflict resolved so my branch can merge with yours once it's ready.

desaturated past hunter armour, darkened mother hunter accents:
hunters.png
hunters.png (65.74 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

lightened enforcer heads, uniform scatter rifle:
enforcers.png
enforcers.png (44.56 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

unfortunately the napalm cannon uses the same index as the robes so it can't be teased apart with mere clut modification. a lot more work for another day.

disabled jugg clut:
juggs.png
juggs.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

updated forerunner pattern buffer, updated terms:
terms.png
terms.png (45.9 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

fixed transparent pixels on rechargers, updated pfhor term:
pfhor.png
pfhor.png (25.74 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

lighted switch, updated s'pht term:
spht.png
spht.png (25.26 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

so yeah, the switches that don't light up are really confusing, and after the trouble we got into playtesting last night I thought it'd be best if some lights were added. very simple tweak since currently the lights are 100% black. I copied your grey switch light from the human set and set it behind after deleting the black, and then added a slight glow:
01.jpeg

02.jpeg

no need for any change to bump map even. DDSes and glow masks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WaL7V ... sp=sharing

I'd say the shapes are done, but then there's this problem still:

TheTangentUniverse_0000.jpeg

that'll be next on the to-do list :-( but right now, physics time.

ICYMI from last page:

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Dec 30th '18, 10:36

physics updated and distributed. PR up.

Aaron, for beta 9, here you go:

merged map:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qJSEyx ... sp=sharing

shapes:
https://github.com/ravenshining/Eternal ... hapes.shpA

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Dec 30th '18, 17:52

Thanks so much lia!

Aaron please don't package beta 9 until i can pass along my own shapes changes from the past month, which i will try to do some time wednesday night.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 30th '18, 19:11

This might be a good time to package a new beta, given the lua and physics overhaul, so we can test it for the next few days while we wait for your shapes for a beta 10?

I'm thinking when we institute feature-freeze it should be called 1.2-rc1 rather than 1.2-b10 or 1.2-b11. Then subesquent bugfixes will be 1.2-rc2, 1.2-rc3, etc. until two of us decide it's ready to be 1.2.

EDIT
Just noticed that when I exported the DDS for the off-switch texture, I hadn't flattened the image resulting in a transparent off switch. Here is a tarball with the corrected version, as well as an updated walls.mml, and everything nested into the proper folders:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCSOPX ... sp=sharing

1.2-b8 has a typo in monsters.mml from the monsters plugin causing it to not function, here is a corrected monsters.mml:
monsters.mml.tar.gz
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Also, everything in the "Banshee" folder except for the images that start with "SG" can be deleted, since we have been handling banshee transparency with MML rather than alpha maps for the past couple betas.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Dec 30th '18, 22:06

I guess it doesn’t hurt to put off rolling in my texture fixes until the final feature freeze beta, so if you guys really want to put out a beta 9 to test before i get back that’s okay.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 30th '18, 23:56

When were you planning to roll out all the texture stuff? I might not actually be ready to put out beta 9 for a couple more days in any case, since I want to be sure I’ve got all those bug fixes I mentioned implemented to my satisfaction. Have you got any suggestions regarding wires, etc., on “S’pht Happens” and “Pfhor får lamm”?
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 00:07

i had originally planned to release beta 9 myself including all the texture updates as soon as you finished the little chapter 1 bug fixes that i screenshotted but didn’t have time to finish myself, but if you guys really want to put out a newer beta sooner then the earliest i could send you guys the updated textures is wednesday night, assuming i am functional enough to do so then. (i have no idea how functional i will be day by day lately, but i am out of town away from my computer until wed). i would also like to reimplement lia’s hires spht texture changes in the original ai files for posterity if i am feeling up to that; it should be really quick to do if i’m up to doing anything at all.

i don’t have enough brainpower right now to ponder those switch bugs.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 31st '18, 00:50

I’m fine waiting a few days, then; there’s a possibility of confusing people by having two releases within a short time period, and maybe this’ll give me time to get through all those texturing fixes over the next few days. When were you originally planning on releasing beta 9?
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 01:03

no specific date (i mean, not since the last-friday release was cancelled), just whenever you finished those texture bug fixes that i was trying to do myself last week

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 31st '18, 01:36

Alright; Wednesday seems fair then. I’ll try to get all that finished up by then.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 03:54

I just thought of something, re-reading the KYT term again.

i have been roland, beowulf, achilles, gilgamesh; i have been called a
hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the world goes
dim and cold. i am a hero.

she has been nameless since our birth; a constant adversary, caring for
nothing but my ruin, a sword drenched in my blood; forever my greatest
and only love. she is the dark one; the enemy and lover without whom
my very existence would be pathetic and vulgar. her eyes steam and boil
in the night (she is fantastically beautiful yet i cannot stand the sight
of her). our relationship is complex and perhaps eternal.

we met once in the garden, at the beginning of the world and unaware of
our twin destinies (not the garden of Genesis, but another; forgotten,
untended and now choked with weeds, unvisited except for ourselves).
we matched stares across a dry fountain, and i recall her smiling at me
before she devoured the lawn and trees with a translucent blue flame and
tore flagstones from the path and hurled them into the sky screaming my
sins.

our reunions there are epic battles fought without quarter, often in
the dark as the moon is seldom visible and the sun never. i powder a
granite monument in a soundless flash, showering the grass with molten
drops of its gold inlay, sending smoking chips of stone skipping into
the fog. she splinters an ancient oak with a force that takes my
breath and hurls me to the ground. she leaves and i lie in the slow
rain of burning slivers of wood
, staring at the low, dark clouds,
craving our next meeting.

There’s a script in Imperium (specifically, the level “End Times”) that generates burning embers at random points wherever the sky is visible. It might be a nice touch to add that script to “The Near Side of Everywhere”, just to match that text. I’m not sure if it would look ridiculous without trying it; that’s the biggest potential objection, I suppose. It might work better in some of the levels that use lava.

There’s also a rain script (also in Imperium; “Iconic Something” and “Hyacinth House” have two different variants) that could be applied in “A Friend in Need” and whatever other levels use a rain sound effect.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 05:37

that sounds cool to me!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 31st '18, 06:43

Once I disabled the fog function that originally accompanied it, it turned out to look pretty cool. But there’s another problem in that level when you’ve got the HD textures turned off:

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 02.06.45.png

I have no idea what a good solution would be. It might be possible to alter the effect of the increased FOV on landscape textures. There’s a less pronounced problem with this in the other, non-dream levels, but it’s nowhere near as bad.

I’ll also have to figure out whether it’s a good idea to keep the thunder and lightning effect for the fog script in “A Friend in Need”. I should see if there’s an easy way to quieten the thunder for players when they’re not directly underneath a landscape texture – that would probably be the best idea.

ETA: Doesn’t seem to be any way to quieten it at all, which is kind of dumb. Maybe it’s possible to put in an alternate sound slot for the thunder that plays the same sounds more quietly. Will have to investigate.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 07:03

Yeah, I just posted about that issue above. Also, this does not happen in 1.1, and it does happen as far back as 1.2-b2, so it's something we did very early on in the process.

Another problem: the remastered music is way too quiet. I can't hear it over the combat in places I used to, nor can I hear it as clearly as I could when it is quiet. I just did a couple tests to make sure I wasn't just imagining things, and then I had a look at the sound files themselves:

fatman.png

That's the mp3 from 1.2-b2 on the left and the ogg from 1.2-b8 on the right. it's not my imagination, it really is a lot quieter. I usually play with sound effects set to minimum and music set to maximum, so it's not like I can just adjust the balance.

While Aaron's remasters may or may not be superior musically; on their own, as game background music they aren't performing the job. I say we should go back to the originals.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Dec 31st '18, 07:44

I strongly oppose that, because they were literally giving me headaches due to the constant clipping throughout the majority of the tracks. I’ll make alternate, louder versions that don’t have the clipping problems after beta 9 is finished. But the actual problem, I contend, is Aleph One’s for not having a volume setting to accommodate music that’s mastered well. You shouldn’t have to make music sound bad for it to be audible in game. If you used, say, Dark Side of the Moon as your BGM, it wouldn’t be audible over the sound effects, which is ridiculous.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Dec 31st '18, 17:43

i suspect the landscape problem is due to the mml controlling the landscape aspect ratio being moved into the hd textures plugin along with all the other landscape mml and so no longer always on. maybe should just be moved back to scripts.

also the audio clipping thing is a problem i used to have too that i solved by changing some aleph one setting about audio sampling rate somewhere. if you have the same problem, then maybe the problem is really with AOs default settings.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 31st '18, 23:45

Well, I get headaches almost regardless of context when songs are mastered too loud, but I suspect if I just turned the original versions down, then I’d mitigate the problem to some extent. But then I’d have the same problem that Lia is reporting with the new versions, I suspect – I wouldn’t be able to hear the music over the game sound effects.

I suspect the problem may be that 1.2.1 and 1.3 handle volume levels differently, or that Linux handles them differently than macOS does, but I don’t know for sure. I can’t comment with regard to Windows, since the music for Eternal stutters on Windows, which is distracting enough that I don’t really notice the volume levels.

Anyway, people might want to chime in here.

I’ll look at the landscape MML in a bit. I think you’re probably right about that.

ETA: BTW, the rain script works fine, but it does require re-embedding the global scenario Lua (i.e., text resource 1000), since otherwise you’ve got two different things defining “Triggers = {}”, meaning that some of the global Lua ends up getting cancelled out. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing, though; in fact, I’m tempted to go ahead and copy 01000.txt into every individual level that doesn’t utilise the rain script, since that’ll prevent network games from going out of sync if someone doesn’t have the correct map file.

At the moment, I’ve got the rain script embedded in “A Friend in Need” and “Second to Last of the Mohicans”, plus the similar embers script in “The Near Side of Everywhere” (though it’s probably not necessary to rewrite that one or even include text resource 1000, since there aren’t any weapons on that level), and a fog script of my own devising in “She Is the Dark One”, “S’pht Happens”, and “Flight of Icarus”. To get all of these to work I had to rewrite them to include the functions from 01000.txt.

Videos of the rain script in action to follow; they’re taking awhile to render. (I probably should’ve rendered them one after the other; I assumed that they’d go faster if I rendered them both at once so I could take advantage of multiprocessing, but that doesn’t seem to have been the case.)

…also, has someone altered the way the staff works in the physics? It seems to be firing lower than I expect it to throughout the scenario, even on levels where I haven’t rewritten the Lua.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jan 1st '19, 04:46

I have a momentary opportunity to check, and it turns out that there is already a landscapes.mml in /Scripts that contains the landscape aspect ratio code, and that code is not in the HD Textures plugin. This code:

Code: Select all
<marathon>

<!-- Full 360-Degree Landscape Options -->
   <landscapes>
      <landscape coll="27" horiz_exp="0" vert_exp="0" vert_repeat="false" ogl_asprat_exp="1"/>
      <landscape coll="28" horiz_exp="0" vert_exp="0" vert_repeat="false" ogl_asprat_exp="1"/>
      <landscape coll="29" horiz_exp="0" vert_exp="0" vert_repeat="false" ogl_asprat_exp="1"/>
      <landscape coll="30" horiz_exp="0" vert_exp="0" vert_repeat="false" ogl_asprat_exp="1"/>
   </landscapes>

</marathon>

So I don't know what's causing the weird landscape bug when the plugin is turned off, unless the low-res landscape images somehow aren't proportional to the high-res ones?

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 1st '19, 05:36

I also had moment enough to reimplement Lia's changes to the S'pht switches in the AI files, and I've incorporated that into the HD textures plugin, and am currently uploading that (which has all my texture changes from the past month, subtle as they are) to here right now:

http://eternal.bungie.org/files/_misc/E ... -12-31.zip

Just in case for any reason I'm not able to package up beta 9 myself, now you have all of my work on the project and could in principle carry on yourselves.

Happy New Year everyone.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 1st '19, 07:05

We just completed some co-op testing...
-Compatibility with Iron's co-op script is uncertain, we had bad results but that may be because not everyone grabbed the right files.
-The rain script works great!
-My ammo script works great!
-The friendly fire on for the WMC is AMAZING and after shooting each other with it several times we decided to drop what we were doing and make netmaps

Wrkncacnter helped with the rain and WMC scripts and I suggested he ought to be credited somewhere, although in his typical fashion he wished to be identified as "DOUCHEMAN."

Also, in my latest physics and shapes (not yet distributed), I experimented with a sort of scorching effect for when the grav blades hit a wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mVKue0zY4
Last edited by ravenshining on Jan 1st '19, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 1st '19, 07:14

I don't know exactly what you did with rain, but I'm guessing that came from Treellama's code originally.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 1st '19, 08:25

Partially, I think so (I actually remembered it being yours, but now I think I was misremembering). I rewrote almost all the fog stuff because I thought the lightning effects could have been implemented much more elegantly, although that's not implemented in the level we tested. I was of course going to ask permission before formally implementing it in an official release, but I wanted to make sure it even worked before bothering, since an awful lot of stuff seems to break Eternal, either solo or in net (for instance, the Coop123.lua script seems to go OOS now). Now that I know this doesn't break it, I'll ask. (Windbreaker had said I could have it for Chronicles, for what that's worth, but I think I'd forgotten he hadn't written the code.)

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jan 1st '19, 19:58

I'm going to make one final physics pass today to make some fixes and adjustments based on recent testing and requests. Aaron, I presume you're going to package 1.2-b9 today or tomorrow, when do you need things ready by? Can you also let me know what you've changed as far as the map goes (or better yet, send me your changes) so that I can add it to git properly?

Any final physics requests? As it's a rather tedious process, I'd like to not have to do it again.

Up on git I've added a switch to the starting room that controls the lava on Sleeping Gods, in case it gets raised in co-op and players respawn there.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 1st '19, 20:51

Tomorrow, yeah. I don’t have any specific time frame, but I’ll be at work until 9:30 pm EST, probably.

The only specific observation is that the physics for the wave motion cannon are broken. Really, really, really broken. So broken it’s really easy to glitch through walls that you’re not supposed to and various other stuff. So broken they make the SPNKR and AR look well-balanced. As fun as it is to cheese things that way, I think it’s probably better to reduce the recoil, particularly since you could easily glitch yourself into an unwinnable area if you were careless and unlucky.

Sample video.

I’ll try to put together a good changelog tomorrow as well.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jan 1st '19, 21:34

I thought the plan was that I would package up b9 tomorrow by incorporating all of your changes into the build on my HD and then uploading that. Presuming I'm not incapacitated by sleeplessness. But I maybe it is better if Aaron continues releasing these post-b5 builds? In any case I would like if he would make sure Lia has all of his map changes (including all those texture alignments that I didn't have time to do) so that she can send a PR to me to roll that all into the official git build.

Pfhorrest
California

PreviousNext

Return to Projects