Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Sep 18th '18, 01:21

Sound flag: I haven’t been able to figure out how to change it. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can change it in Anvil in SheepShaver. There’s apparently a much more recent build of ShapeFusion that’s only available as source code, but you have to build wxWidgets on a Mac to compile it, which I still haven’t worked through all the steps to do. (IDK what’s required on Windows/Linux.)

I did like the citadel view in “Dark One”, but it definitely doesn’t fit the setting. It might be worth putting some cool cavern view into those locations instead, or some other scenic vista. I’ll have to think what would fit.

Regarding combat, I’m not entirely sure how much you can do to those levels without making them outright unfair, since there’s essentially no way to give players ammo refills in that part of the story – unless we just outright retcon the “Leela can’t take ammo along” aspect of the story. I could see some gameplay-related justification for writing some sort of “bag of holding” thing where she can carry along a limited amount of ammo and weapons to assist the player, but there’s the potential of that seeming very silly.

It could, however, be written off as an acceptable break from reality despite that. Changing that aspect of the plot would have the plus that a typical player wouldn’t just flat-out run out of fusion ammo midway through chapter three and not get any more until chapter five. As things are, two weapons in the player’s arsenal are essentially completely unusable for approximately 30% of the game. It’s possible that players might build up enough of an arsenal on TC to last quite a bit longer (I honestly don’t even know, since I played the game on TC by vidding each level, but I suspect many players will come out of “Unlucky Pfhor Some” on TC with about 200 fusion batteries due to all the dead Bobs), but on other difficulty settings they’ll probably run out long before then, unless they just flat-out don’t use the fusion guns much/at all.

In any case, if we’re going to add more monsters to those levels without retconning that aspect of the story, I’d probably just add more Ticks and F’lickta; Defenders are pretty difficult to fight without weapons even now that the guided bolts have been turned back off. Ticks and F’lickta should at least be pretty easy for an average player to defeat with fists if needed.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 18th '18, 01:45

Assuming you're talking about flags like "Cannot be restarted" in the sounds file, the shapefusion built from the latest code seems to be able to edit them just fine.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 18th '18, 10:33

I kind of figured that it might be fixed in a later version. I’ll perhaps see if I can figure out what’s going on with the wxWidgets thing this week. Does anyone know why they haven’t posted a compiled version of the application to the official project page in, apparently, years?

In any case, I think I might be able to edit the Eternal sounds file in Anvil, but I’ll abstain from doing so until I have the most recent revision.

Anyway, Dr Sumner’s comments on “A Friend in Need”:

Finished playing “A Friend In Need”. I really like this level also. However, I have never been a fan of inaccessible sniping enemies. I was able to defeat all other enemies using Fists only. I refuse to use any ammo to defeat those snipers. If you are quick, you can safely get by them for the most part. Did not see any problems with the level.

ETA: now that I’ve properly played the β2 version of “Pissing on the Corporation”, I’ve come to the realisation that I forgot to use a monster trigger for one of the regions where blind & deaf monsters are supposed to teleport in. I am very smrt. I’ll fix this at some point soon. Other than that, most of it plays fine. I might actually still change a few Fighters to Enforcers.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 18th '18, 14:58

The only change to the sounds since b2 is making the grenade explosion quieter as you suggested so if you want to just make both changes on your end go ahead please.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 18th '18, 15:40

If you're using ubuntu, I got shapefusion compiled after installing the stuff mentioned in this post viewtopic.php?p=182846#p182846.

I think I was using 16.04 at the time.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 18th '18, 16:20

Unfortunately, I don’t have Ubuntu set up right now. I think I still have a working Kali Linux setup on my laptop downstairs, but I’m trying to avoid putting anything game-related on it; I need at least one computer that doesn’t have any distractions on it for school.

I couldn’t figure out how to get Anvil to keep my changes, either, unfortunately. I think there was a trick for this, but I’ve forgotten what it was.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 19th '18, 07:04

Fixed up S'pht'ia as planned tonight. Up on github now.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 19th '18, 22:29

Finished playing Unlucky Pfhor Some last night. I think this is going to be a level that I will never like. And I don’t exactly know why. I do know I hate all of those Hummers buzzing around. I know they are set to regenerate infinitely often. But they are like a swarm of gnats that keep buzzing about your head and won’t leave you alone. They seemed to stay away (for the most part) from the NW and NE complex, and somewhat from the SE complex. But they have free access to the SW complex. And that can make life miserable if for some reason you want to go back through that room. I was very pleased to see a PB in the SE complex. I have no idea how I got through this level in Eternal 1.1 without having a PB that early.

To be honest, I almost quit last night. I could not get the hang of that final room. I had forgotten that you need to get the enemies activated first before you descend the platform. Have you ever descended without first waking them up, and also successfully defeated them? I tried numerous times last night. Came close one time. Got to the last two MOAHs and one exploded with me too close. Wow, was I NOT happy. I decided to watch your film to see how you got through it. Of course, you did what I did last time. I had forgotten about that strategy. On the other hand, one Vidmaster rule is that you should always punch switches unless they are inaccessible. So to shoot that switch and allow the platform to descend is a direct violation of that rule. When you are just playing and not vidding, my attitude is “Who cares?”. But if you want to be true to the vidmaster rules, then shooting that switch is a no-no.

I have no suggestions for the level. As I said, it is destined to be one of those levels (like Pfhoraphobia in Marathon 1) that I will always dread playing.

John

P.S. On the bright side, I now have a buttload of Fusion batteries (350 or so).

I'd been afraid that the drones might still be too annoying. I'll see if I can do something to tone them down further.

I actually have survived that final room the "proper" way once or twice, but it was from a save file, and I definitely wasn't trying to do it fists only, as John has been doing. I'm not sure if it should be toned down - maybe remove some enemies or put a recharge canister in there somewhere. The other possibility is just to put a delay on those platforms so you can punch them and run out. I still would like to do a film showing that room cleared out the proper way, but I feel like there's a fair amount of luck right now as to whether I survive it, and given how long the level is, it's extremely frustrating to have a film derailed at that point. At the same time, I also feel like that final battle has to be genuinely threatening for it to be a satisfying end to the level. If it's toned down, there has to be a balance so it's not too easy.

John also has a question regarding trooper ammo drops that I'm completely stumped on. If Wrkncacnter or Treellama happen to be reading this, have you got any ideas about it?

BTW, I meant to ask this question some time ago. When a Trooper drops his ammo, the Grenade Clips and Rifle Magazines inventory counts increase by 1. I noticed last night I am off by 1 between those two ammo counts. That is, one is bigger than the other by 1. How does that happen? Can a Trooper drop a Rifle Magazine, but not a Grenade Clip, or vice-versa?

Again, John is playing on TC, fists only. On lesser difficulties, I believe that if you've got fewer than 49 AR magazines, but 49 grenade clips, the game will let you pick up another AR magazine without picking up a grenade clip. However, I think the reverse is not the case - you need to waste an AR magazine if you want to pick up a grenade clip with 49 AR magazines and <49 grenade clips. I'm not sure because I've only been playing Eternal on TC for about six months; I might've mixed those two up.

In any case, though, that's using ammo on the non-existent difficulty settings. I haven't got the faintest idea how those would get out of sync on TC in a fists only run. Any ideas?

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 20th '18, 06:27

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate if you can help rebalance that part a bit more to John's (and your) liking.

Tonight I got... maybe half?... of Let Sleeping Gods Die relit before I ran out of time in the day. Jesus that level had like no fucking lighting at all, almost everything was just light 0, which for some reason was changed to be 35% (I think maybe that way my lazy way of "lighting" the level via miner's light a few decades ago).

I don't know when I will have time to get back to finishing that off until maybe like two or three weeks from now, so if anyone (Lia?) wants to have a go at it in the mean time I would really appreciate that.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 20th '18, 22:48

FYI I've started work on Let Sleeping Gods Die. I'm still using the 1.1 textures at the moment, because Eternal is like a 700 MB download, but I'm doing what I can until I can DL the new textures.

Of course while messing about with lights and therefore also liquids, my inner urge to connect liquid areas took hold...
lavaconnect.png

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 20th '18, 22:50

That looks cool. I’m interested to see what you come up with so it’s not just a carbon copy of the original level. I like that “Flight of Icarus” is now significantly different from “My Own Private Thermopylae” in terms of paths through the level; maybe it’s possible to do something similar in “Sleeping Gods”.

I doubt the texture differences will pose you too much of an obstacle in selecting the right lighting and texturing, but the new textures are hella cool, so I do recommend grabbing the latest version when possible. Bump maps are definitely the way forward in new Marathon scenarios.

More from John:

Aaron, I am not necessarily advocating for any changes to Unlucky Pfhor Some. It’s just an irritating level for me. I checked my inventory last night. I have one more Grenade Clip than I do Rifle Magazines. After thinking about this more, I seem to recall having this same issue with Eternal 1.1. And I recall encountering it on the same level, namely A Friend In Need. And unless I am wrong, I seem to recall convincing myself the problem dealt with a Trooper dying on one of the Automatic Exit polygons. There are four of them. If a Trooper died on one of those polys, it dropped only the Grenade Pack and not the Rifle Magazine. At least, I THINK that is what happened. I am at school right now and cannot test it. Now, why that would happen, I have no idea.

Aaron I figured out what is causing the discrepancy with the ammo inventory. At a certain point in "A Friend In Need" I had 89 Rifle Magazines and 89 Grenade Clips. There is a Havoc Rifle on poly 394. When I pick that weapon up (and nothing else in the area), my Grenade Clips increase to 91 and my Rifle Magazines increase to 90. ???? Are they supposed to increase at all? And why increase the Grenade Clips by 2?

I’d noticed that the game behaved weirdly when picking up fusion rifles and fusion pistols, so it doesn’t surprise me that the AR coding is glitchy as well. I think this is all defined in Lua, isn’t it? Might be worth tweaking some of the code if I can figure out what’s going on.

Finished playing Unpfhorseen. This is another level I really enjoy. Got through it with Fists only. There is only one problem I had with the level. Early on when the Fusion Bobs and Defenders are still active, the Fusion Bobs tend to congregate along the stairs at polys 31-34, while the Defenders seem to congregate along the corridor at polys 96-101. I am not sure what can be done about it since you do want them to move along both areas. But it is very annoying to have the Bobs stand around and completely block those stairs, while the Defenders stop in the middle of the corridor and block it. Eventually of course they all teleport out. But still….

I don’t think I had this happen to me when I played the level, but I think I only played it the once in making my vid film. It’s worth fixing, no doubt.

I’ve been making a strange dream level for Chronicles, so no progress on any Eternal issues today. Even though John said his issues with “Unlucky Pfhor Some” weren’t a big deal, I at least want to put delays on those platforms and make the drones less annoying. I’ll try to get that within the next week. There are also a couple of issues in “Pissing” that I still need to fix as well, most notably a room full of monsters that don’t actually teleport in.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 20th '18, 23:06

The glowmaps are drastically different, and the hex geometry should be considered.

Just in case I get completely sidetracked I'll maintain uploads of my progress in my git.
https://github.com/ravenshining/Eternal ... Gods%20Die
I really didn't like most of what I saw, so all I've done so far (besides the above) is replicate lights 12-19 (the important ones ≤20 that control liquids and flashing) to 29-38, thusly:
19 -> 29
12 -> 32
13 -> 33 etc.
then changed 1-20 to Weland defaults, reassigned the various switches & liquids to the new lights, and flat out paved the whole level at 0%, keeping only liquid lights (but updating them to the new assignments) and some of your special effects from the new area.

it's in a much better blank slate state, at least.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 20th '18, 23:10

Thanks to both of you as always and to John for his continued feedback!

Lia, I like the idea of connecting those lava tubes, but make sure that the player can't actually progress down there until they've grabbed the uplink chip, otherwise they'll be screwed. Unless they can get back up from down there again? That might be kinda cool actually, and eliminate the need for the door currently preventing players from going down there before they've grabbed the chip.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 21st '18, 00:57

No, the player cannot pass between because of the transparent grating texture. However, using the same lava as the adjoining pit, I could make it so you could swim out provided you haven't drained the area (personally, I usually swim across rather than bothering to drain it). Or, I could add another lava tube to spit you out elsewhere.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 21st '18, 07:01

Nah if they can't get through the transparent grate then everything should be fine. :)

I touched up the lighting and texturing on "She Is The Dark One" tonight, and that's the last of anything I'll be doing until Monday or more probably Tuesday night.

Lia if you should happen to finish with Let Sleeping Gods Die this weekend and want to maybe take an eye to the upper floors of the citadel in S'pht'ia, I felt like I left that in a weaker condition than I'd have liked too.

Thanks again!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 21st '18, 08:52

I probably won't have time to get to S'pht'ia this weekend. Maybe next week, can't say.

Went through and did some rough lighting everywhere I could find a non-lava light source. I kinda like it being dark everywhere else...

I doubled the height of the spiral staircase to better give the impression that you're really, really far underground. I didn't add any rings, just increased the step height. That made the central light pillar rather boring, so I figured, this is a site of extreme holiness or something, it deserves the best in S'pht décor. So without adding any polygons, you go from this:

LetSleepingGodsDie_0000.jpg

Skipping several WU of column, to this:

LetSleepingGodsDie_0001.jpg

To this:

LetSleepingGodsDie_0002.jpg

I also added a few polys to make the hallway lights consistent:

LetSleepingGodsDie_0003.jpg

And here's how the lava tubes are currently routed:

lavaconnect1.png

I kinda don't like how I made it so you can swim out, kinda detracts from the leap-of-faith idea. Maybe this weekend I'll lower the lava in the lavafall chamber, and shorten the alternate way out so it'll be survivable (I haven't actually tested it, but I doubt you can make it). Pushed it to git in case I disappear.

Oh, and one idea I'd like to implement somewhere in this or another S'pht level, is to recreate that scene from the M2 Citadel chapter...

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 21st '18, 09:02

That looks goddamn amazing. And if you take the staircase idea further, it might actually not be quite as ridiculous for “She Is the Dark One” to be outside after that! (OK, it still wouldn’t make much sense.)

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 21st '18, 09:34

Thanks!

I think She is the Dark One would make the most sense as a sewage level...
M2.12.1.1.1+12.4.2.1.png
M2.12.1.1.1+12.4.2.1.png (73.85 KiB) Viewed 601 times

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 21st '18, 09:56

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about that graphic! I completely agree with making it a sewage level now. It would have a bonus of making those liquid areas not completely pointless and not worth exploring. I gather that “Bob’s Big Date” is probably supposed to represent the same general area of the planet; maybe “She Is the Dark One” could have some of the same ridiculous tides.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 21st '18, 15:20

Looking good Lia, thanks! I don't know how dark you have it everywhere else, but do keep in mind to avoid 0% lighting anywhere but the darkest little nooks, since it will actually be completely black with the new miner's light settings.

I could also be amenable to making She Is The Dark One a sewage level, though I'm not going to have time to do that myself.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 21st '18, 19:02

The Man wrote:It would have a bonus of making those liquid areas not completely pointless and not worth exploring. I gather that “Bob’s Big Date” is probably supposed to represent the same general area of the planet; maybe “She Is the Dark One” could have some of the same ridiculous tides.

Yes, it would be more fun to explore, and it certainly has enough vertical space for ridiculous tides.

6000 Feet Under is literally is the same area as Bob's Big Date. Quoth Durandal, regarding Bob's Big Date:

You are in the old bunkers underneath the Citadel of Antiquity. S'pht royalty from each of the ten clans gathered here during the final days of the war in which the Pfhor enslaved the S'pht… in their time of need these ancient S'pht found a way to contact the lost clan, but were killed before they could use it… We must discover what the warring clans learned after they were joined.

And regarding 6000 Feet Under:

We're getting closer and I have learned much, but you must search even deeper underground. There are unstable magma intrusions in the geothermal shafts under the Citadel…

Pfhorrest wrote:Looking good Lia, thanks! I don't know how dark you have it everywhere else, but do keep in mind to avoid 0% lighting anywhere but the darkest little nooks, since it will actually be completely black with the new miner's light settings.

I could also be amenable to making She Is The Dark One a sewage level, though I'm not going to have time to do that myself.

You're welcome! I'll be sure to add some faint fill lighting. Is the link you recently posted to the Story Forum the most recent and does it have the miner's light settings? I may be able to snatch it later today.

I would love to sewageify She is the Dark One for you! Maybe even have sewage in some areas and lava in others, to give the impression it lies between 6000 Feet Under and Bob's Big Date. For whatever reason I just love working with liquids.

Oh, I noticed the S'pht were not attacking me or each other on S'pht'ia or Let Sleeping Gods Die. Seemed a bit strange, did you change your minds on that?

Also, if you look closely at my screenshots above, you'll see a slight yellow glow around the white lights. Since I didn't have the latest textures, I made some glowmaps to approximate the new ones and then had fun with it. Obviously that will be different when the new textures are applied.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Sep 21st '18, 20:43

I'm on my phone right now so this will be brief, but the latest version should be at http://eternal.bungie.org/development.php. Obviously the maps have been updated since then, of course. Also the texture plugin doesn't work for some systems, and I haven't figured out why. If you have problems let me know and I'll try to kludge together a fix. I'll have more detailed feedback later but I definitely approve of making "She Is the Dark One" more of an exploration level. I might actually start implementing a few of those changes tonight myself after work if you haven't gotten started on it yet. I'll let you know if I do; I don't expect that to take all that long.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 21st '18, 20:48

The most recent version can always be found here, whatever the top link is (currently beta 2):

http://eternal.bungie.org/development.php

(Ninja'd, and good point about the map updates, which are all on Github! Lia I hope you grabbed the latest off there before you started Sleeping Gods, but there was barely anything changed there yet [besides my partial-relighting, which you're redoing anyway] so I guess it doesn't really matter. Aaron make sure you grab the latest version of Dark One off git if you're going to do anything on that tonight!).

When I've been lighting dark areas that were pitch black before, I've been doing a pattern of lights 19-18-17-18-19-18-17 and so on to give some kind of differential, varied shading. If that's a helpful thought.

I'd love if you'd made She Is The Dark One some kind of hybrid sewage/lava level, that sounds pretty cool! While you're doing that some lighting will probably need to be changed too, because I have areas bordering lava brightly lit on the assumption that lava glows.

Thanks again!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 21st '18, 20:52

No problem.

I can see an argument for making the sewage in that area glow too, and if you provide glow maps I can even make a level-specific script to make it glow just in that one level. Let me know if you like that idea.

...wait, I just remembered Jjaro sewage already glows in Eternal. Should I just use that then?

...Also, just spitballing here, but I think the citadel architecture that got removed should perhaps be replaced with an inaccessible but easily recognizable segment of "Bob's Big Date", just to add even more continuity to the proceedings.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 21st '18, 21:55

Pfhorrest wrote:Lia I hope you grabbed the latest off there before you started Sleeping Gods...

When I've been lighting dark areas that were pitch black before, I've been doing a pattern of lights 19-18-17-18-19-18-17 and so on to give some kind of differential, varied shading. If that's a helpful thought.

...While you're doing that some lighting will probably need to be changed too, because I have areas bordering lava brightly lit on the assumption that lava glows.

No worries, I merged from your GitHub into mine before I pulled it. Personally, I prefer to *not* brightly light areas bordering lava for more contrast, but I'll follow your convention.

EDIT I tried to share a screenshot of using faint cyan glowmaps in total darkness to simulate human night vision, but somewhere in transmission it got ruined with a JPEG filter. It would be a ton of work to implement anyway, 17-18-19 is fine.

EDIT 2 a zipped file should go through unmolested if you want to see it anyway.

The Man wrote:I can see an argument for making the sewage in that area glow too, and if you provide glow maps I can even make a level-specific script to make it glow just in that one level. Let me know if you like that idea.

...wait, I just remembered Jjaro sewage already glows in Eternal. Should I just use that then?

That doesn't sound like a good idea, for the sewage in M2 most certainly does not glow! Glowing sewage will detract from the continuity with Bob's Big Date.
Attachments
LetSleepingGodsDie_0006.png.tar.gz
(697.57 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

ravenshining
Hawai'i

PreviousNext

Return to Projects