Kill Bob LeVitus Marathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Kill Bob LeVitus Marathon

Post Apr 17th '18, 10:11

At MacWorld 1996, Power Computing (a popular Macintosh clone manufacturer in the mid-1990’s) released a CD-ROM called “PowerComputing The Disc 2”.

This contained a special demo of Marathon 2. Instead of the normal sprites for Bob, there was instead special sprites of the Director of Evangelism of Power Computing, Bob LeVitus. Also included with the demo was a Shapes file that could be used with the full version of the game.

I was surprised that this wasn't already ported to Aleph One so, I've rectified that.

Here's the page on Simplci7y
http://simplici7y.com/items/kill-bob-levitus-marathon

eisnerguy1

Post Apr 17th '18, 10:41

Man, I love oddities like this. XD Thanks for uploading the shapes file.

(The back of the disc sleeve claims to have "unique levels" for M2; wonder if that's accurate or if their idea of unique levels was "the same ones as in M2, but with clones of Bob LeVitus")
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Apr 17th '18, 12:05

Ahahaha, I forgot about this. A+

Our first PowerPC was a PowerComputing clone. It came with Weekend Warrior!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 17th '18, 12:42

General-RADIX wrote:Man, I love oddities like this. XD Thanks for uploading the shapes file.

(The back of the disc sleeve claims to have "unique levels" for M2; wonder if that's accurate or if their idea of unique levels was "the same ones as in M2, but with clones of Bob LeVitus")

No problem! Just let me know if there are any issues with it.

That special demo & the normal Bungie demo has these levels:
*Waterloo Waterpark
*What About Bob?
*Eat It, Vid Boi!
*Thunder dome

treellama wrote:Ahahaha, I forgot about this. A+

Our first PowerPC was a PowerComputing clone. It came with Weekend Warrior!

Thanks! Ah, nice. Mine was a Performa 5215CD. The only decent game that came with it was Power Pete.

eisnerguy1

Post Apr 18th '18, 00:08

Wow, this is one of those dumb but brilliant marketing stunts. I guess the next step would have been a 'Gameboy Camera' style: "Put your face in the game" Macworld booth.

Zott
Earth

Post Apr 18th '18, 02:57

Zott wrote:Wow, this is one of those dumb but brilliant marketing stunts. I guess the next step would have been a 'Gameboy Camera' style: "Put your face in the game" Macworld booth.

Yeah, exactly. Kinda special since it was a semi-official new shapes file.

edit:

I call this a win :D I asked him what the backstory on that special demo disc/Shapes file. Had to be some sort of joint effort since Bungie used a screenshot of his art on an Inside Mac Gaming ad for Infinity:

eisnerguy1

Return to Projects