AlephOne: Pathways Into Darkness

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 18th '19, 15:09

This looks really nice!

Ku-rin
Not Invented Here

Post Feb 25th '19, 00:22

Hey doc, do you mind if I include your icon in the next version of AOPID? I've already got several fixes based on experiences people have had, and other things I noticed, so I'll probably be releasing an update somewhat soon.

Also, if anyone has tried this and found any bugs or inconsistencies with the original, please let me know.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 25th '19, 01:25

Firstly, great job on all of this. It's truly impressive and a pleasure for someone who has never played PiD. Secondly however, I seem to encounter a bug quite often where an enemy sprite will become invisible, but it can still attack me and I can attack it- I just can't see it for a few seconds. I was playing on 800x600 but I've changed the resolution a few times but the bug seems to pop up no matter which options I tinker with. It's not game breaking or anything, just a slight nuisance I figured I should report.

Flowers

Post Feb 25th '19, 01:41

Yeah, I've seen that and unfortunately that's just a bug with alephone's renderer. Possibly the geometry of the levels exacerbate the issue, I'm not sure, but I've definitely seen it happen in other scenarios on a somewhat regular basis.

I think in general it seems to mostly happen early on in the game when you're fighting with your knife. Once you get further and start using your weapons, I almost never notice it again. Has that been your experience as well?

Thanks for letting me know.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 25th '19, 02:05

Wrkncacnter wrote:Yeah, I've seen that and unfortunately that's just a bug with alephone's renderer. Possibly the geometry of the levels exacerbate the issue, I'm not sure, but I've definitely seen it happen in other scenarios on a somewhat regular basis.

Ahh, that makes sense. I don't recall seeing this issue elsewhere but that could entirely be because I wasn't paying close attention and I only just now noticed due to the nature of PiD's more cramped geometry where it'd be much more difficult to not notice the enemies directly ahead of you.

I think in general it seems to mostly happen early on in the game when you're fighting with your knife. Once you get further and start using your weapons, I almost never notice it again. Has that been your experience as well?

Actually, I'm only a few levels in and I'm still using the knife mostly, so I'll keep an eye out for it and report back after I progress further into the game.

Flowers

Post Feb 25th '19, 18:48

Wrkncacnter wrote:Hey doc, do you mind if I include your icon in the next version of AOPID? I've already got several fixes based on experiences people have had, and other things I noticed, so I'll probably be releasing an update somewhat soon.

Also, if anyone has tried this and found any bugs or inconsistencies with the original, please let me know.

No, not at all, feel free to use the image as official AOPiD icon if you want.

thedoctor45

Post Mar 2nd '19, 16:56

This is awesome! I never thought I would ever be able to play this game without a lot of inconvenience, but here it is. Thanks for porting it to AO!

TrajansRow

Post Mar 2nd '19, 19:26

:)

Thanks for helping me with the fog shaders. You wouldn't have wanted to see the ugly hack I was using before that.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 3rd '19, 04:57

I just updated AOPID to 1.1: http://simplici7y.com/items/aleph-one-p ... o-darkness.

If you're currently playing through the game, you can update and just continue to use your saved game.

It's got a bunch of bug fixes or changes to make it match closer to the original. There are a few other types of changes I made as well.

I added a difficulty penalty/bonus to your end score if you play the game on something other than Normal. When playing on Total Carnage for example, you'll get a +5 difficulty bonus added to your score. This is because you lose a lot of time when playing on TC, because you have to rest more often, and therefore, your end score isn't as good. It didn't seem fair to have a lower score when playing on a higher difficulty, so this is my attempt to correct it.

Total carnage: +5
Major damage: +2
Easy: -2
Kindergarten: -5

The penalty/bonus is based on an average of your entire playthrough, so you can't just play the whole game on Normal, and then switch to Total Carnage to exit the pyramid. You won't get a bonus if you try this. Also, if you play 90% of the game on Total Carnage, but drop the game to Normal at the end or something, you'll only get a +2 bonus.

Another change I made (on Total Carnage only), is the first 3 digits of the bomb code will be randomly selected every time you start a new game. This way it'll kind of force you to play the game properly, instead of just having the code memorized / looking the code up online.

The readme has the full list of changes.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 5th '19, 00:53

Truely amazing work. Ive only played the origional game briefly before i dropped it, but you have the whole feeling of the game and movement down pat from what i remember.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Mar 7th '19, 08:36

I've been having a lot of fun going through pathways again, so great work, wrk. I wouldn't have thought this was possible in aleph one.

There is one bug that I have come across:
I encountered a sentinel that a group of skitters was able to walk around in "watch your step". I am pretty sure that didn't happen in the original, so it might be necessary to widen them a bit, or check that they are oriented properly.

General Tacticus

Post Mar 7th '19, 15:25

Yeah, I've seen that too. I think I have sentinels taking up a full WU in the physics, so I'm not sure how this is happening. I don't know how to fix it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 12th '19, 00:17

OK, so I had to put out a new update because people that started a game on 1.0, upgraded to 1.1, and continued their saved games were not able to complete the game.

If you're still playing through a saved game that you started on 1.0, you should get the update http://simplici7y.com/items/aleph-one-p ... o-darkness.

Nothing else has changed, so if you don't fall into that category, the update isn't critical.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 3rd '19, 17:01

Wrkncacnter wrote:Good news everyone! The scenario nobody wanted is now available!
http://simplici7y.com/items/aleph-one-pathways-into-darkness

[MUp] Wow! Never got farther than the first level of PiD. Might have to give this a shot, at long last!
ChristTrekker

Previous

Return to Projects