Marathon Trojan revival?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 27th '10, 07:00

it was one of the most popular scenarios to come out for the first marathon game.

It was a pretty fun scenario, I wonder if anybody remembers it, and if they also think it should be brought back to life?

The guy who made the scenario is named "hamish sanderson". No where on the website has any email links, and I'm pretty sure those emails are dead by now.

http://bighouse.bungie.org/trojan/trojan.html This is the website. Music is actually pretty decent compared to the original music in Marathon one, and all the civilians have British accents, lol.

We should look into this and maybe bring it back to life.

Try it out on your mac emulator.
riserobotrise

Post Jan 27th '10, 07:08

I'd love to see an A1 remake of Trojan seeing as I can't play it otherwise.

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 27th '10, 07:10

Likewise. I've always been wondering about Trojan, but I've never been able to play it. I think there was a M2 Win95 version released on Orbital Arm, but it doesn't work for me.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 27th '10, 07:19

Dugit wrote:Likewise. I've always been wondering about Trojan, but I've never been able to play it. I think there was a M2 Win95 version released on Orbital Arm, but it doesn't work for me.

there is:

http://bighouse.bungie.org/tm2/main.html

maybe we can pull the files from there?
riserobotrise

Post Jan 27th '10, 15:36

riserobotrise wrote:there is:

http://bighouse.bungie.org/tm2/main.html

maybe we can pull the files from there?

There was an Aleph One SDL on Orbitalarm that I got, but it never worked, even after I followed the instructions. The link is here, and Trojan is at the very bottom. You can probably get the files from there.
Last edited by NXF on Jan 27th '10, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post Jan 27th '10, 16:37

Hamish and team have expressly said they are done with Trojan forever. There was an aborted Infinity demo available on Fileball some time ago whose readme said this in no uncertain terms. They also forbade anyone else from updating Trojan in any way. With that said, there's a "Trojan Legacy Sampler" for Aleph One that M1A1's Raul Bonilla put on Fileball. It's HARD. I still haven't beaten it years after finding it.

EDIT:

With all that said, I'm going to be a douche and post an updated Aleph One version of the Sampler to my site. It's a Zip file and the Images and Map files now work on non-Mac systems.
Last edited by irons on Jan 27th '10, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 27th '10, 17:26

Thanks. I'll get on to playing it soon. [MUp]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 27th '10, 23:38

Woah, this takes me back. I think I played this one way back in the day when I was playing the trilogy for the first time. Anyone else noticing a lack of sound effects?

sgraff

Post Jan 28th '10, 07:09

And a lack of levels?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 28th '10, 10:25

textures and sprites are very old, made for the first marathon.

maybe an artist around here can bring them up to date.
riserobotrise

Post Jan 28th '10, 12:36

THERE IS NO NEED TO
trojan is perfect as it is. sometimes its best to keep some thigns OLD SKOOL
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jan 28th '10, 15:46

Dugit wrote:And a lack of levels?

Did you read the terminals?
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 28th '10, 18:09

TL;DR dugit?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jan 28th '10, 21:01

I'm not much of a Marathoner, and I've never been huge on solo play to top it off. But playing through this (I still haven't finished) is really, really cool. There is a sense of atmosphere beyond even Rubicon here. They have some cute gimmicks I'm sure just about everyone has tried, but they work here. This ship is hell, and they want us to know that. I'm not a good taker of screenshots, TLS isn't exactly breathtaking by modern (R:X, TGI, Eternal) standards, but here's some stuff to look at, in case you're curious.

[attachment=3564:tls1.jpg]

[attachment=3565:tls2.jpg]

[attachment=3566:tls3.jpg]

[attachment=3567:tls4.jpg]

EDIT: Here are two more images.

[attachment=3568:tls5.jpg]

[attachment=3569:tls6.jpg]
Attachments
tls6.jpg
tls6.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
tls5.jpg
tls5.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
tls4.jpg
tls4.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
tls3.jpg
tls3.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
tls2.jpg
tls2.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
tls1.jpg
tls1.jpg (63.97 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
Last edited by irons on Jan 28th '10, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 29th '10, 00:26

Kinda reminds me of the movie Event Horizon.

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 29th '10, 05:27

I guess I can see that. It's a lot quieter, though :P

For those of you who are having trouble with this weird-ass level, I made a film of it. The last third or half is in a tiny 5D maze, which is probably where most people will give up. As you will see, I get turned around in there too. I also show how to get the assault rifle, and it doesn't have to be in the exact order that I do things. There is a SPOILER ALERT here in case you want to be surprised when you enter the parts of the level that are on their side. It's about 25 minutes long; don't say I didn't warn you. And I make my fair share of goofs.

[attachment=3571:TLS_film.zip]
Attachments
TLS_film.zip
(41.84 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by irons on Jan 29th '10, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 30th '10, 01:33

Marathon games I have beaten so far:

All three.

Scenarios I have beaten so far:

Morgana's Revenge
Red
Eternal
Rubicon (all three planks)
Evil
Winter 1
Devil in a Blue Dress
Tempus Irae
Tempus 2

Would have beaten Squadron, but something makes it crash on level 15's exit terminal. Besides that, did I miss any?

When will Trojan be available for A1? Are there currently plans to convert it?
Last edited by SynthNinja on Jan 30th '10, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post Jan 30th '10, 04:29

In a word, no.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 30th '10, 05:49

irons wrote:playing through this (I still haven't finished) is really, really cool. There is a sense of atmosphere beyond even Rubicon here. They have some cute gimmicks I'm sure just about everyone has tried, but they work here. This ship is hell, and they want us to know that.

I agree with you here, the atmosphere is indeed very nice and "old school" if one may call it that. speacally (SPOILER) the part of the ship that is leaning made my head spin. the mapper really managed to pull that off.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Jan 31st '10, 01:48

what is trojan about? O: i wanna play it
but i think that will never happen :C
teh shark blaster

slypher

Post Feb 2nd '10, 00:19

It says it couldn't find the M2.exe, can someone help me?
Exodus2002

Post Feb 2nd '10, 13:36

From the OrbitalArm page: "WARNING - You must have an original Windows 95 version of Marathon 2: Durandal to install this package (a clean copy of the executable and a valid serial code are required)." If you don't have those, the jig is up.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 3rd '10, 01:07

slypher wrote:what is trojan about? O: i wanna play it
but i think that will never happen :C

In the distant future... where the Pfhor are just a memory...
In a world gone corporatist... where the UESC is no more...

A bunch of stuff otherwise unrelated to Marathon happens.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 3rd '10, 09:23

Pfhorrest wrote:In the distant future... where the Pfhor are just a memory...
In a world gone corporatist... where the UESC is no more...

A bunch of stuff otherwise unrelated to Marathon happens.

good music though.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 9th '10, 02:07

"WARNING - You must have an original Windows 95 version of Marathon 2: Durandal to install this package (a clean copy of the executable and a valid serial code are required)." If you don't have those, the jig is up.

I guess that's one scenario I won't be playing, unless it is somehow ported to A1.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Next

Return to Projects