Inm. Pfhor Sprites

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Hey folks, I finally finished those Fighter edits I began work on late last year.

This project originally began with Chronicles in mind, but I'm hoping other people will find these useful--and also that I can edit the other Pfhor sometime before the release of Chronicles. Now, it's...very obvious that these were edited, but given how much time I spent of 'em, I figured I should release them now and worry about further edits later.

The ZIP contains 52 transparent PNG files; none of the projectile frames required editing, so it's just the Fighter.
Attachments
Inm Fighter.zip
(526.11 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
welcome to the scene of the crash
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks again for these; as I said in Discord, they look great and I’ll hopefully be able to implement them sometime soon. I certainly will implement them when I get the chance. They’ll certainly help to make Chronicles have a unique feel. As I think I might’ve said in the Chronicles thread already, they feel kind of halfway in between the M1 and M2 Fighters, while also looking bulkier than either of them – which naturally is perfect for the modern-day Fighters in Chronicles, since they’re much stronger than the M1/M2 Fighters. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with for other Pfhor / monsters.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
General-RADIX
Cyborg

The Man wrote:Thanks again for these; as I said in Discord, they look great and I’ll hopefully be able to implement them sometime soon.
You're welcome. ^^ Looking forward to seeing how these look in motion/other CLUTs.
Flowers
Cyborg

Not sure what these edits were originally intended for in Chronicles, but me thinks these could serve as a good way to separate basic fighters from projectile fighters.
The Man
Vidmaster

I’ve been using them to differentiate time periods: the ones in the present-day setting have the new uniforms, while the ones in the player’s flashbacks look like they did in the trilogy. To some extent that’s already done by uniform colours, as the fighters in the flashbacks also have light blue and dark grey uniforms, but I can’t come up with a reasonable in-universe justification for the Pfhor to give boots to projectile fighters and no shoes whatsoever to non-projectile fighters.

In any case, the projectile fighters already are differentiated from non-projectile fighters in that the latter’s staff crystals glow cyan, while the former’s glow chartreuse. This carries over from the trilogy and, AFAIR, every scenario except Eternal, in which all the staffs are purple. Since that’s not much of a differentiation, the projectile fighters in flashbacks also use the M2 shapes, while the non-projectile fighters use the M1 shapes. (Unfortunately, the M1 fighters’ staffs don’t glow. Can’t figure out what I’ve messed up there.)

Should you wish to see these in action, most of the videos in the Chronicles playlist from yesterday or today should use the new sprites. Or you can just play it yourself – all the present-day levels in the main storyline now use the new Fighter shapes (see recent updates in the development thread for more on this). I intend to create a shapes patch to put these into Infinity reasonably soon, too, but I still have a few things to refine before I do so, and I’ve got a substantial amount of real-world commitments to attend to as well.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I have to ask- what exactly are these supposed to be? What does Inm. mean? I guess it looks like you added leggings, boots, and an undershirt, but the armour... is swapped with M1 armour?
General-RADIX
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:I have to ask- what exactly are these supposed to be? What does Inm. mean? I guess it looks like you added leggings, boots, and an undershirt, but the armour... is swapped with M1 armour?
"Inm." is short for "Inmortalitas", the name I gave my Marathon AU so that I wouldn't have to continually refer to it as "my Marathon AU". XD; These sprites specifically use my own interpretation of the Fighters; the armour's not meant to be swapped with the M1 set or anything.

This whole mini-project sort of started with a proof-of-concept edit (basically to see if I could edit the sprites in Fire Alpaca and then 8-bit then in PS), and enough folks expressed interest in a full set that I decided to make one. I've started work on the Troopers now, though IDK when they'll be done (hopefully sooner than the Fighters were).

--

ETA: So, I'm still in the lineart phase, but I wanted to toss this up here:
trooperpreview.png
General-RADIX
Cyborg

HEY FOLKS, I'M DONE WITH THE TROOPER SPRITES

Didn't take nearly as long as the Fighters, which I'm proud of. I'll probably take a bit of a break between these and the Hunters 'n Enforcers.

Preview:
trooper-1.png
trooper-1.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 10790 times
Attachments
Inm Trooper.zip
(429.69 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
The Man
Vidmaster

Looks great. I'll work them into Chronicles no later than Sunday - hopefully tonight. Still need to make that Infinity shapes patch too.

General-RADIX
Cyborg

^^

UPDATE: per Aaron's request, I went back and made the Trooper's face slightly more visible; plus I took care of some colour inconsistencies between the edited and non-edited bits of armour, so it should be mostly all the same shade of green now. And took care of some grey pixels I missed on cleanup.
Attachments
Trooper revis.zip
(431.5 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
General-RADIX
Cyborg

So, between working on personal projects, some commissions, and general slowness, progress on these has been gradual, but I wanted to stick this preview here:
enforcertemp.png
(And yes, I'm redrawing the heads for this set. Inm!Enforcers have completely different facial anatomy)
Juzo-kun
Born on Board

General-RADIX wrote:So, between working on personal projects, some commissions, and general slowness, progress on these has been gradual, but I wanted to stick this preview here:
Cool! [MSmile]
...would you be interested in a map I use to check my Shapes file modification? Is basically a single room with the monsters and scenery items I'd had the idea of modifying, but I can make a version with everything.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Juzo-kun wrote:Cool! [MSmile]
...would you be interested in a map I use to check my Shapes file modification? Is basically a single room with the monsters and scenery items I'd had the idea of modifying, but I can make a version with everything.
Thanks! ^^ And that map might be more (immediately) useful for Aaron, who's handling the technical modifying-the-shapes-file work. XD
General-RADIX
Cyborg

[wenches thread back up]

Enforcers are considered "done" for now. Here's a preview:
enforcer-1.png
enforcer-1.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
I did post these to several Discord servers, but it's gotta go somewhere public.
Attachments
InmEnforcer.zip
(409.42 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

that enforcer looks too nice, I don't want to shoot it [MTongue]
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Alas, they would probably not feel the same way. XD
General-RADIX
Cyborg

[vacuums off thread]

Not Pfhor, but I recently made a set of Inm.-based S'pht sprites. These don't have the specific clan armour for reasons of practicality.

I'd also made a set of M1-based VacEnforcers, which have shown up in a number of Aaron's videos. CKT1138 edited the versions seen here into something more to the engine's liking.
Attachments
VacEnforcer_WMAiD_indexed.zip
(251.22 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Spht.zip
(238.45 KiB) Downloaded 100 times