Master of Lh'owen (possible mod for MOO)

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 4th '10, 04:01

Has anyone ever played Master of Orion (MOO) or Master of Orion 2 (MOO2)?

It was one of my favorite 4x strategy games, and I still play it from time to time. Basically, you build your star empire up from scratch
First you choose 1 of 8 races to play from, you start out with a colony ship and a home planet, and you go out exploring. You compete with up to 5 other alien races for dominance in the galaxy, either by making deal with them, joining alliances, waging war, peace treaties etc. You research technologies, build your star fleet maintain your population and so forth. Eventually you win by annihilating everyone or through diplomatic means.
Great game, I strongly recommend playing it if you haven't. Although there's a mac version of it, I recommend you play it with dosbox.

Well anyways I always thought about making a mod based on Marathon, same game, but all the alien races will be races from the Marathon universe, the ships will be Marathon style ships, and (if possible) base it on a war between the spht/humans vs the pfhor.

I thought it was an interesting concept

I know there are other games that have that same style of gameplay but moo was the first, however I'm game if someone would like to do one for another game like "sins of a solar empire" or "galactic civilizations 2" both of which have better graphics.
Last edited by riserobotrise on Feb 4th '10, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 4th '10, 07:19

Well, nobody's stopping you. [MGrin]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 4th '10, 08:09

dugit, let me be the first to congratulate you for climbing one social rung. don't disappoint us now.

screamingfool

Post Feb 4th '10, 15:06

riserobotrise wrote:you start out with a colony ship

I can tell you're not a serious Moo2 player.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 4th '10, 15:50

screamingfool wrote:dugit, let me be the first to congratulate you for climbing one social rung. don't disappoint us now.

Hey, thanks. [MGrin]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 4th '10, 16:02

riserobotrise wrote:spht/humans vs the pfhor.

This is bugging me, as the spht ( I know the pfhor are contolling them) fight with the pfhor in the marathon games. If you go ahead with this, then make the spht a seperate race from humans or pfhor.
Fishman92

Post Feb 4th '10, 16:16

Fishman92 wrote:This is bugging me, as the spht ( I know the pfhor are contolling them) fight with the pfhor in the marathon games.

Did you beat Marathon 2?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 4th '10, 16:19

Treellama wrote:Did you beat Marathon 2?

Yes, why?
Fishman92

Post Feb 4th '10, 16:42

Fishman92 wrote:Yes, why?

Who sacked the Pfhor system in 2881 AD?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 4th '10, 17:38

The combined Human and S'pht'Kr forces.

Yes Fishman. Those S'pht Compliers don't really count as "S'pht", in that they are so twisted by machine, they really count as their own separate branch of "S'pht". They don't have a choice, as long as the automated command node (Pfhor Cyborg) is still operative.
Last edited by Dugit on Feb 4th '10, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 4th '10, 17:43

Dugit wrote:The combined Human and S'pht'Kr forces.

Yes Fishman. Those S'pht Compliers don't really count as "S'pht", in that they are so twisted by machine, they really count as their own separate branch of "S'pht". They don't have a choice, as long as the automated command node (Pfhor Cyborg) is still operative.

I suppose so... but I stand by my opinion that they should be a seperate race.
Fishman92

Post Feb 4th '10, 18:01

They would have, what, two different units? Talk about variety.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 4th '10, 18:16

Fishman92 wrote:I suppose so... but I stand by my opinion that they should be a seperate race.

Well, if you think about it, they ARE a separate race, they are just grouped according to alliances. Think about this- when I say the Pfhor in general, I would group Drinniol and Compliers in with the term, as they (generally) fight alongside true Pfhor.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 5th '10, 00:10

Maybe it would work out better to separate the factions based on their race instead of their allegiance in the games, as Master of Orion is more about development and technology-management rather than troop-to-troop combat.
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Feb 5th '10, 00:50

riserobotrise wrote:but all the alien races will be races from the Marathon universe

Fishman92 wrote:then make the spht a seperate race from humans or pfhor.

Marathoner325 wrote:Maybe it would work out better to separate the factions based on their race instead of their allegiance in the games

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 5th '10, 07:00

Treellama wrote:I can tell you're not a serious Moo2 player.

not a serious player?

You wanted to hear that you start out with a colony ship and 2 scout ships, and then a bar on the right side where you can research technologies and check up on your first colony and build whatever building you want, or build more ships, or assign roles for your colonists to either research, grow food or be in industry?

Fishman92 wrote:I suppose so... but I stand by my opinion that they should be a separate race.

yes they would be a separate race, that would be a lot like the psilons acutally.

and to the rest, you can't have multiple different types of units as far as military goes. You only have 1 type of ground unit in offensive campaigns who's attributes are based off of racial bonus and handicaps, and also on the technology that race has at that time. The same goes with ship combat bonuses. As far as types of colonists, you only start out with the race you have, you can conquer other races and assimilate their population and move them to other planets in your empire.

Due to moo2 engine constraints, it would probably end up breaking marathon cannon (you'd probably have things like the spht declaring war on the humans, etc), but it would be a fun game. The idea of the human/spht pfhor war probably isn't very feasible.

One could add in random events that are specific to the marathon universe (i.e have a colony's computer system being compromised by a rampant AI, so that player would have to devote research points in that colony to deal with that issue) Or replace the seller converter with the Trih Xeem (early nova device) - except the stellar converter on a doom star can only destroy planets, not stars themselves.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 5th '10, 14:02

riserobotrise wrote:not a serious player?

Real men start on Pre-Warp.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 5th '10, 19:15

Treellama wrote:Real men start on Pre-Warp.

psh, pre-warp doesn't affect the difficulty of the game - the real men play on impossible difficulty level.

watch this guy's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5cdkjj78nk

he's a real man, and he started on average - but played on impossible.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 5th '10, 19:55

I went to school with a guy who could beat it on impossible with any race, including any custom one you could come up with, as long as they weren't repulsive. Don't need a youtube :D

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 5th '10, 21:19

Treellama wrote:I went to school with a guy who could beat it on impossible with any race, including any custom one you could come up with, as long as they weren't repulsive. Don't need a youtube :D

wow, even humans? That's insane, I get slaughtered in normal difficulty with them (well in moo1, I normally use custom races in moo2 on normal).
riserobotrise

Post Feb 6th '10, 01:54

I started playing the first MOO several months ago, and it's actually become one of my favorite games now. I prefer playing with Psilons. I've also played the second, but it for some reason has the tendency to crash within the first ten minutes of gameplay.
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Feb 6th '10, 05:42

Marathoner325 wrote:I started playing the first MOO several months ago, and it's actually become one of my favorite games now. I prefer playing with Psilons. I've also played the second, but it for some reason has the tendency to crash within the first ten minutes of gameplay.

yeah, psilons are probably the best because of their technology bonus. I prefer the humans because well, because I root for my own kind.
The 2nd moo is a bit more complex in terms of its gameplay. Are you playing it through dosbox? If so, check your dosbox settings. I played both versions on the mac, and if you can an old ppc and can get your hands on the mac version, go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend it through ppc emulation. I have dosbox on my mac and it works well.

Make sure you up your CPU cycles, and check the graphic card emulation in your preferences.

I could try to help you out if you want me to.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 6th '10, 20:34

riserobotrise wrote:yeah, psilons are probably the best because of their technology bonus. I prefer the humans because well, because I root for my own kind.
The 2nd moo is a bit more complex in terms of its gameplay. Are you playing it through dosbox? If so, check your dosbox settings. I played both versions on the mac, and if you can an old ppc and can get your hands on the mac version, go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend it through ppc emulation. I have dosbox on my mac and it works well.

Make sure you up your CPU cycles, and check the graphic card emulation in your preferences.

I could try to help you out if you want me to.

I am running it on a Macintosh OS 10.4.11, using my computer's emulator "Classic," which runs old Macintosh apps from system nine and below. I'm downloaded the game from Macintosh Garden, which came with a generated Disk Image. I installed the files onto my hard-drive, and when I open the disk image and start up my game through the installed files, it, again, crashes within minutes.

However, I'll try and download dosbox now, and see if that works.
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Feb 6th '10, 22:06

forget moo, play deadlock!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 7th '10, 03:44

Treellama wrote:Real men start on Pre-Warp.

. . . so that is the measure of a man.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Return to Projects