MARATHON ARRIVAL MOVIE TRAILER

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 12th '10, 02:19

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I would like to introduce myself. Mi name is Jorge Trevilla (25y) and I do 3D animation and VFX in an animation studio based on Mexico city. I've been fan of the marathon series since they came out, I actually played the first marathon on a apple macintosh LC-580@33mHz when I was 12 , and felt fascinated about it big time. Time pased and forgot about for a while til I crossed with the marathon Story page, great site, and I really fell in love with it. So... To make long story short, me and my brother are starting a small protect called marathon arrival, wich will be a fake movie trailer about the first installment of the marathon series and we are currently working on the storyboards.The main objective of such endeavor is that a large audience would watch it and get notorious (least 1 million views on youtube, that´s a viral video and that's what we're aming for) so that maybe, and that's a big maybe, a large studio or just a crazy millonare, or granny picks out the savings of her life and give us a decent budget to produce a FULL LENGHT MOVIE ain't that cool or what?, and of course if it doesn't make a dime we wouldn't give a shit, since were gonna do it anyways becuase we love Marathon and cgi. This project will be OPEN SOURCE, what that means you say? Well if you downloaded aleph one you pretty much know what open source is. This means ALL CONTENT of the trailer will be available to anyone, including 3d models, textures, .ma files, full frames, etc. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY SKILLS MODELING RIGGING ANIMATING IN MAYA OR MODO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, (yes i'am beging) CONTACT US, the salary of course is the amazing sum of $0.00 since I am a starving artist (not quite but you get the picture). So Ill be somewhere in heavens waiting... For some of you...

Feel free to tell me what you think, to comment, to critic, to blame, to insult, or whatever you think would help us to make this a great project, it's ambitious i know probably, the most ambitious project we ever had, but what the heck! it's gonna be a hell of a ride!!!

I'll leave a youtube link with my work and another one of my job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzh2cbWbk4M

http://www.whiterabbit.com.mx/

It may help so i don't sound completely lunatic.

Thanks a lot, i'am excited to be part of this community.

-mknd

And sorry if my english is crap [MOh]
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 03:07

woah buddy, lay off the caps!

I'm sure your idea is great and everything, but I'd like to see some of what you produced so far.

Also, I'm not sure if the "Projects" section of this forum isn't the appropriate sub category for what you wanted to post, I recommend posting anything related to your video project to be posted in the Artwork and Music subcategory or the maybe the chat section.
riserobotrise

Post Feb 12th '10, 03:17

It is hard to say whether this sort of thing has been attempted before. I know there were rumors about Marathon being made into a movie way back when, like more than 10 years ago, but that never happened. An open-source project isn't a bad idea, though. Rallying support here will be difficult without something to show first. It should be somewhat substantial, a seed to crystalize upon. This will serve to better communicate what you envision as far as quality and style. It will also speak volumes about how serious you are about it.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post Feb 12th '10, 06:13

The best projects are the ones you care about. It looks like you have a drive. I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 12th '10, 07:17

I saw a fake Durandal Movie Trailer on Youtube- were you anything to do with that?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 12th '10, 10:35

Ah, you're a professional. That's always nice to see, what people who know what they're doing can come up with. Great demo reel.

I wish I could help, but I have enough trouble just putting together static 3d scenery for my project with Aleph One.

I'd really like to see what you do for this though. Good luck.
Kurinn

Post Feb 12th '10, 13:15

I cannot help, but it sounds like a cool project. Your video look impressive. Whatever happens, good luck.

goran

Post Feb 12th '10, 13:24

riserobotrise wrote:Also, I'm not sure if the "Projects" section of this forum isn't the appropriate sub category for what you wanted to post, I recommend posting anything related to your video project to be posted in the Artwork and Music subcategory or the maybe the chat section.

This is clearly a project. It has an beginning and an end, a particular aim, and involves many people.

I'll quote the guidlines for the project section:

Topicality

The Projects board is about the status of Marathon-related projects.

First, what is a project?
1. A project is a major/total conversion for Marathon/Aleph One, or a Marathon port to another engine (Doom to Marathon or Marathon to Doom, but not Doom to Unreal).
2. It can also be an Infinity single-player scenario, i.e. Siege of Nor'Korh or Gemini Station.
3. It can also be about netpacks as a whole.
4. It could be something that amplifies Aleph One, i.e. enhanced textures, music, etc.
5. Undertakings for new shapes, physics, lua/mml, or something along that line.
6. Films about Marathon (in-game clip montages, especially)
Last edited by goran on Feb 12th '10, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:37

riserobotrise wrote:woah buddy, lay off the caps!

I'm sure your idea is great and everything, but I'd like to see some of what you produced so far.

Also, I'm not sure if the "Projects" section of this forum isn't the appropriate sub category for what you wanted to post, I recommend posting anything related to your video project to be posted in the Artwork and Music subcategory or the maybe the chat section.

Thank's a lot for the quick reply, i'll post the storyboards between today and tomorrow, wich is the current stage we are right now, obviously we're moving a bit slow cuz our jobs and schools...

Any suggestion to how to move the topic from projects to Artwork and Music?

Thanks again, i really apreciate it. :)
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:43

SynthNinja wrote:It is hard to say whether this sort of thing has been attempted before. I know there were rumors about Marathon being made into a movie way back when, like more than 10 years ago, but that never happened. An open-source project isn't a bad idea, though. Rallying support here will be difficult without something to show first. It should be somewhat substantial, a seed to crystalize upon. This will serve to better communicate what you envision as far as quality and style. It will also speak volumes about how serious you are about it.

Thanks a lot SynthNinja, you're right, i need to show what's been produced so far, at current time only storyboards are complete but we're thinking on moving a bit on the modeling stage just we finish reviewing the storyboard. I never knew about that project you mentioned, that's really interesting and it would be awesome if you have any information about it you could share. About the project we are very serious about it, but it's hardware and people what we are missing, i mean we are not completly naked, we have our desktops computers, but render power its never enough...

Thanks a bunch, take care!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:45

Zott wrote:The best projects are the ones you care about. It looks like you have a drive. I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Thanks a lot, i am looking forward as well...

Take care!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:47

Dugit wrote:I saw a fake Durandal Movie Trailer on Youtube- were you anything to do with that?

Hi there Dugit, not at all, by the way the trailer was one with just cutscenes from other games? That's not the type of trailer we are aiming for, we're looking for 100% especifically designed assets for this project, so as disclaimer :) No we had nothing to do with it...

Thanks a lot!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:51

Kurinn wrote:Ah, you're a professional. That's always nice to see, what people who know what they're doing can come up with. Great demo reel.

I wish I could help, but I have enough trouble just putting together static 3d scenery for my project with Aleph One.

I'd really like to see what you do for this though. Good luck.

Hi Kunnin, thanks a lot, to bad you can't help us. I asked for skills in maya or modo, but ANYTHING IS ON, you know, people might have skills with z brush and normal map extraction, or texturing, or are great painters, or mattepainters, or musicians, JUST LET KNOW ANY WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COOPERATE, IT COULD BE ANYTHING, AND OF COURSE IF THE PROJECT TAKES OFF, YOU'LL BE INSTANTLY HIRED :)

Thanks a bunch!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 16:52

Goran wrote:I cannot help, but it sounds like a cool project. Your video look impressive. Whatever happens, good luck.

Hi Goran, thanks for the support, too bad you can't help us but really think about: Is there anything you could help us, it could be anything just let me know.

Thanks!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 17:19

Septupleposting is frowned upon, but i dont even know how to put 7 timestamped quotes into the same post so I forgive you.
Your work is very good, btw.
Last edited by envy on Feb 12th '10, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Feb 12th '10, 17:50

Envy wrote:Septupleposting is frowned upon

This is the first time I think you've sincerely made me laugh.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 12th '10, 18:42

mekanismo wrote:Any suggestion to how to move the topic from projects to Artwork and Music?

Only moderators can move topics, but as goran pointed out this could belong in this forum anyway.
Last edited by $lave on Feb 12th '10, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Feb 12th '10, 20:16

I would be interested in helping with this, but i am rather busy with other projects on this forum. but perhaps i could squeeze in some time :)
I have no experience in maya though. I am only self learned in cinema 4D. i consider myself a nice modeller but when it comes to rigging and such i have no experience. i suppose i can do scenery, weapons and other animate objects, but not characters. if you'd like to see some of my work check out the eternal X 1.1 and nova topic in the projects section. (check the latter pages though since the best stuff is there)

pointer: i can export to wavefront and 3ds, aswell as other formats.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 12th '10, 20:35

Swe Mussolini wrote:I would be interested in helping with this, but i am rather busy with other projects on this forum. but perhaps i could squeeze in some time :)
I have no experience in maya though. I am only self learned in cinema 4D. i consider myself a nice modeller but when it comes to rigging and such i have no experience. i suppose i can do scenery, weapons and other animate objects, but not characters. if you'd like to see some of my work check out the eternal X 1.1 and nova topic in the projects section. (check the latter pages though since the best stuff is there)

pointer: i can export to wavefront and 3ds, aswell as other formats.

Thanks that's awesome, i'll check your work and tell you later.

Thanks a lot i really appreciate it! [MGrin]

P.D. I'm sure you can export .obj, right?
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 20:41

wavefront is .obj ;)
Last edited by CryoS on Feb 12th '10, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 12th '10, 21:33

Swe Mussolini wrote:wavefront is .obj ;)

Yup missed that, but its been 5 years since i exported "wavefront" :)

I saw your work it might help, i'll try to post a model so everyone can get the idea of wich kinda of style am going for...

Cheers!
Last edited by mekanoidvfx on Feb 12th '10, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 22:11

If you want music, I'm willing to chip in for that, but I have no experience with graphics and rendering. If you want something 2-D, though, (like for backgrounds, textures, etc) I could probably do a decent job with that. I have nothing to show for that, unfortunately, but feel free to assign me something (maybe not terribly important) to test my skills.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
SynthNinja

Post Feb 12th '10, 22:20

SynthNinja wrote:If you want music, I'm willing to chip in for that, but I have no experience with graphics and rendering. If you want something 2-D, though, (like for backgrounds, textures, etc) I could probably do a decent job with that. I have nothing to show for that, unfortunately, but feel free to assign me something (maybe not terribly important) to test my skills.

Thanks a lot, i might send you something soon, have you ever painted maps for models using UV reference?
Cheers!
I'm waiting...

mekanoidvfx

Post Feb 12th '10, 22:20

Swe Mussolini wrote:I would be interested in helping with this, but i am rather busy with other projects on this forum.

Your work on 3D renditions of Marathon units could probably translate into something useful for this project, if they got rigged and animated properly...
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 12th '10, 22:27

I would consider helping if I was experienced with 3d modeling. It's something I have been interested in exploring to do but my life has been too busy for me to sit down and teach myself, the same goes for different forms of art and general game creation. In any case, best of luck on your project.

sgraff

Next

Return to Projects