One Survivor [Horror Scenario]

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Mar 5th '10, 12:43

This project is a survival horror scenario that mimics the poor-horror game Resident Evil: Survivor, it's like how FreeDoom is to Doom, a free replacement.

RE:S has about an hour of game-play, it's a slow-paced FPS, One Survivor will be about the same.
What this scenario will have:
  • Different story - Different story to RE:S, as the RE:S story sucked
  • New physics - To slow down the pace, making this feel like an entirely different game to Marathon
  • New textures - Dark, horror themed set in real-life as opposed to sci-fi
  • Zombies - No aliens, slow-walking zombies that take 6-8 bullets to kill and other unique monsters similar to RE:S
  • Multiple routes - This is already in, there are different routes to places.
Some current shots:
2 3

Some things to add:
The scenario won't have view sprites for weapons, current will be shown on HUD, this is in a way to add to immersion.
Aiming reticle is needed for this
Story will not be told through terminals, dialogue will be written on-screen, in-game.

Why bother? Because I can't make Marathon maps, all my maps are very modern, cramped and work best when moving slowly and being cautious around every corner, so this is something I can do.
Plus, I'm enjoying making this, it's not like my other great ideas that I get bored with and drop, this will be short and sweet.

Multiplayer will be featured, but due to the way the scenario is mapped I don't think co-op campaign will work (There are moments where doors slam shut behind the player, this would lock the other players out!)
So perhaps a separate multiplayer campaign telling a different story of some other survivors.
Last edited by xilef on Mar 5th '10, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

xilef

Post Mar 5th '10, 15:42

Wahey now this looks good. Love the idea of non-marathon gameplay. But I don't really like the idea of not seeing the players weapon, because without one, the player won't really feel "In The Action", i mean- He'll have no visible hands!

But other than that I think this has alot of potential if done properly, let's just hope you pull it off.

EDIT: Make sure it's dark. Really dark. And has good textures :P
Last edited by Fishman92 on Mar 5th '10, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92

Post Mar 5th '10, 15:49

and very thick fog
so you really cant see the good textures!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Mar 5th '10, 17:20

Fishman92 wrote:But I don't really like the idea of not seeing the players weapon, because without one, the player won't really feel "In The Action", i mean- He'll have no visible hands!

Actually I'm removing view-sprites of weapons to assist with immersion, if the player sees a hand holding a gun on the screen, it feels like they're acting out the role of the person whose hand it belongs to rather than it is actually them, in the game.

I'll test some things, show some footage and shots and see if you like it, i'm having pretty dark and brown 128x128 textures but quite a high lighting level in some areas, fog will be added last as it's an opengl feature and it will only be in some areas.

xilef

Post Mar 5th '10, 18:14

Xilef wrote:Actually I'm removing view-sprites of weapons to assist with immersion, if the player sees a hand holding a gun on the screen, it feels like they're acting out the role of the person whose hand it belongs to rather than it is actually them, in the game.

I'll test some things, show some footage and shots and see if you like it, i'm having pretty dark and brown 128x128 textures but quite a high lighting level in some areas, fog will be added last as it's an opengl feature and it will only be in some areas.

128 x 128? Oh yeah,,, software :/
I like 512 x 512, easy to load, and quite detailed!

And I like the lighting idea, having a high contrast in lighting does help a lot.
Nice screens btw. Apart from the orangyness.
Fishman92

Post Mar 5th '10, 18:53

I'd suggest texturing your levels before posting screenshots of them. If they aren't textured because you just started them or don't have textures yet, then you probably announced this too early.

I'm glad you're enjoying making this and hope that this does go somewhere, but few people will be impressed when you announce a project with nothing but a few bland screenshots which use a total of 3 different textures.

I also think that removing the weapon in hand images is a bad idea and will probably just end up looking awkward, but it's up to you. I'd like to comment on more, but there really isn't anything to comment on.

$lave

Post Mar 5th '10, 20:16

Scenario creation is easy when you're on the concept/idea stage. It's a lot like the picture below.
A calm sea and no worries. BUt as you can see in that picture, a huge storm is incoming. It symbolises the ammount
of work that is involved in creating a scenario. And it is not pretty. So what I'm saying is this:
Be prepared for that shit.

It is friday and I felt metaphoric :P
Anyhow, best luck to your project.

goran

Post Mar 5th '10, 20:24

Goran, that screenshot needs more textures before we'll take your scenario seriously.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 5th '10, 23:16

I'd like to announce One Highly Successful Blond Male Actor Whose Character Freezes to Death in the Sea After His Boat Hit an Iceberg, a free videogame remake of Titanic much like FreeDoom is to Doom. It is a slow paced FPS where you float lazily around on the Atlantic on a piece of driftwood and slowly starve to death. Due to copyright issues OHBMAWCFDSAHBHI will feature a completely new story where everything seems calm but a storm hits your boat and everyone dies. Because you are the only person who survives this tragic event co-op will be hard to implement but I may make a separate campaign for you to play with your buddy.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Mar 5th '10, 23:44

$lave wrote:but few people will be impressed when you announce a project with nothing but a few bland screenshots which use a total of 3 different textures.

Shut up, Steve. I'm impressed.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 6th '10, 01:44

I am interested in seeing how you handle the atmospheric sound effects. The ambience.

sgraff

Post Mar 6th '10, 02:35

Goran wrote:Scenario creation is easy when you're on the concept/idea stage. It's a lot like the picture below.
A calm sea and no worries. BUt as you can see in that picture, a huge storm is incoming. It symbolises the ammount
of work that is involved in creating a scenario. And it is not pretty. So what I'm saying is this:
Be prepared for that shit.

It is friday and I felt metaphoric :P
Anyhow, best luck to your project.

Well, no one says that this has to be particularly complicated. I once had an idea of making a scenario consisting of 1 4000 polygon level or something; an "hour" of playtime.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 6th '10, 10:33

sgraff wrote:I am interested in seeing how you handle the atmospheric sound effects. The ambience.

Sound sources work brilliantly

xilef

Post Mar 24th '10, 01:12

Looks very exciting, I am waiting for more textures
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Mar 24th '10, 14:22

Skullcleaver wrote:Looks very exciting, I am waiting for more textures

I got textures but I need to make a shapes file out of them

xilef

Post Mar 24th '10, 16:35

Shadowbreaker wrote:Well, no one says that this has to be particularly complicated. I once had an idea of making a scenario consisting of 1 4000 polygon level or something; an "hour" of playtime.

I'm telling you, it's a solid metaphor.

goran

Post Mar 24th '10, 17:28

Goran, are you after my heart
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Return to Projects