Summer mapmaking collaboration project

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jun 15th '10, 01:40

MoppyPuppy wrote:Because I wrote this, I feel I should post due to the fact that I will not be contributing.
I can't make big maps.
Multiple objectives, 1024 polygons, tons of architecture, and even more enemies.

Duration required to beat level: 3 minutes.

I don't know how to give a map longevity.

I redact my post, I will not be contributing to this project.

Cmon Moppy, don't be a party pooper. [MFrown] [MFrown]
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Jun 15th '10, 06:37

Just for posterity, you can't texture with a shapes patch. It just crashes. You have to merge it first, but do not select it again in the Environment section (or it'll crash again). Just leave it as Infinity Shapes or whatever.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jun 15th '10, 13:22

Dugit wrote:Just for posterity, you can't texture with a shapes patch. It just crashes. You have to merge it first, but do not select it again in the Environment section (or it'll crash again). Just leave it as Infinity Shapes or whatever.

Of course you can't texture with a shapes patch. Come on. Where would the rest of the textures be?

Please tell me you didn't merge the shapes patch into your untextured map. ughhh

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 15th '10, 13:31

Please tell me you didn't just rhyme "hate" and "Hecate"
Last edited by treellama on Jun 15th '10, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 17th '10, 19:44

I'm leading a video game design clinic with 4 kids and we're very interested in participating. However, we're having problems with finding documentation on making doors, creating goals to level up, etc.

We've been using Obed and we just discovered Visual Mode today. We have one Mac and lots of PCs.

We're using GIMPSHOP for image editing and Audacity for sound.

Can anyone suggest a FAQ on making doors, platforms, stairs, etc.

It's an extremely STEEP learning curve to begin but I think we're making progress.

Any advice would be appreciated.
jnevans

Post Jun 17th '10, 19:49

If you're willing to use Weland, which is designed to be a Forge clone, you can read all about making doors and platforms in the Forge manual (http://archives2.bungie.org/manuals/Trilogy_Manual.pdf) and even watch the Forge tutorials on Youtube.

I don't know if any such resources exist for Obed.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 18th '10, 11:43

I looked at Weland but it's not clear on how to apply the textures?

Thanks for the reply!

Jay
jnevans

Post Jun 18th '10, 12:49

jnevans wrote:I looked at Weland but it's not clear on how to apply the textures?

Weland can't apply textures, you need to use Visual Mode.lua for that.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 18th '10, 18:12

it seems your timing is perfect jnevans; our local expert just wrote up a handy guide to the tools available for making content for marathon.

screamingfool

Post Jun 18th '10, 18:15

screamingfool wrote:it seems your timing is perfect jnevans; our local expert just wrote up a handy guide to the tools available for making content for marathon.

His post was the impetus for my own, as it happens.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 24th '10, 15:19

Would it be fun or just irritating for me to have (some of the) Bobs included with Pfhor as enemies? I've always wanted to see what a firefight between Bobs looks like. Sure, I have seen a couple in Rubicon, but I wanted to make one myself.

Also, something wierd happened with Atque when I merged the shapes patch from Paradise Lost (Polaris specifically) with the untextured map file. It worked, and I tried texturing within the finished map file. It appeared and all, but it wouldn't let me texture. So I deleted that file, and went back into the setup folders for the original file, and went to texture it using just the Infinity shapes. Ooo. The shapes patch, somehow, had merged with this map too and it even let me texture using it on an untextured map! Explain? [MOh]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jun 24th '10, 15:49

The most likely explanation is you lost track of which file is which.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 24th '10, 15:57

Dugit:

1) install the shapes patch from paradise lost in an infinity shapes file.
2) select that file in the environment prefs
3) just texture your map, and merge it with the patch only when it's finished.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Jul 2nd '10, 19:12

There's about one month remaining in PROJECT X. So far I've only seen one map that's actually (almost) done, so this is just a bit of a roll call.

If participants wouldn't mind just posting to say "hello" and posting their progress on their map, if they've made any, that would be really nice.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 2nd '10, 19:33

I've nearly finished texturing the level (there's far more of it than shown), and I am personally proud of it, but I don't know what the community would think of it. All I've got left are the rest of the textures, platforms, triggers, and monsters. Would Bobs as monsters be acceptable?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 2nd '10, 19:35

I don't see why not... They can be annoying enemies, though.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 2nd '10, 19:48

So there's nothing wrong with what you're seeing here? Lights ok? Textures ok? [MTongue]

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 2nd '10, 21:49

Nice, dugit!
The third screenshot is a bit confusing, but maybe you just took the picture from a bad place.

I don't expect I'll still get a map finished this month.
Last edited by Drictelt on Jul 2nd '10, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Jul 2nd '10, 23:16

Dugit wrote:So there's nothing wrong with what you're seeing here? Lights ok? Textures ok? [MTongue]

the lighting on the third pic could have a bit more value change. You have a lot of angles with pretty similar values so it comes out kinda flat. Other then that these look great!

A note when using bobs as enemies, they tend to stay in place and fire until they are hit(similar to the enforcer). This makes them a huge pain in tight spaces and corners.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jul 3rd '10, 06:57

Don't worry, I'm only going to use enemy pistol BoBs in long corridors, where I've placed some cover, and going to place some recharge canisters, on the other side. I'm also using enemy VacBobs; I've put up their health by quite some margin, but have made their shots less accurate and less repetitive.
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 3rd '10, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 4th '10, 09:42

Two questions:

1) How do you make BoBs stand still at the end of corridors so they shoot you without moving? Should I get rid of the monster triggers?

2) Big problem (see attached image). Whenever I get to a particular stage in the level, it crashes and shows me this:

(EDIT: It appears to happen after I hear a 'teleporting in' noise. Should I provide a screenshot of where the error takes place? And also, what does "Attack Frequency" mean, when editing the physics?)
Attachments
Picture_5.png
Picture_5.png (16.84 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 4th '10, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 4th '10, 13:00

Dugit wrote:Two questions:

1) How do you make BoBs stand still at the end of corridors so they shoot you without moving? Should I get rid of the monster triggers?

2) Big problem (see attached image). Whenever I get to a particular stage in the level, it crashes and shows me this:

(EDIT: It appears to happen after I hear a 'teleporting in' noise. Should I provide a screenshot of where the error takes place? And also, what does "Attack Frequency" mean, when editing the physics?)

1. You want "Stay with clear shot" flagged in the physics model.

2. I think that error means you have a platform trigger without a platform index. Not 100% certain.

3. That's the delay between attacks, in ticks. A lower AF means a faster attack.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 4th '10, 14:42

Thanks, all fixed!

I'll be sending it to you later today.

EDIT: Sent it a day ago. Good enough? (:)
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 5th '10, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 15th '10, 00:42

Um sorry about this late update, but Im still working on two of my maps. One of them, Water Facility is almost finished, except for end/ terminal. The other, Elevations, I might cancel.
I cant post screenshots now, I will in few days. Im still working on both. Don't worry. [MSmile]
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

PreviousNext

Return to Projects