Summer mapmaking collaboration project

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 9th '10, 07:33

If I have a spot on the map where the player's view crosses a lot of polygons but it's mostly masked by darkness, will that make the game slow? Also, is there a "strategy" to making a rocky surfaces, or do you pretty much just make a jagged wall?
Last edited by gmanyo on May 9th '10, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post May 9th '10, 10:17

gmanyo wrote:If I have a spot on the map where the player's view crosses a lot of polygons but it's mostly masked by darkness, will that make the game slow? Also, is there a "strategy" to making a rocky surfaces, or do you pretty much just make a jagged wall?

Aleph One will render all of the polygons you're looking at, whether or not you can actually see them through fog and darkness.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 9th '10, 11:48

gmanyo wrote:If I have a spot on the map where the player's view crosses a lot of polygons but it's mostly masked by darkness, will that make the game slow? Also, is there a "strategy" to making a rocky surfaces, or do you pretty much just make a jagged wall?

The Obed strategy is to tessellate hexagons, and then bend them with the bend tool.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 9th '10, 11:53

MoppyPuppy wrote:The Obed strategy is to tessellate hexagons, and then bend them with the bend tool.

Does the bend tool basically just move the points? Because if so, I could just "bend" it myself.

gmanyo

Post May 9th '10, 19:28

Just make a backing wall, then add a series of connecting polys of various descending heights. There is no need to make then all kinds of crazy shapes, that tends to stand out as awkward. The way to sell it is to go back and add a few polys to the backing wall that let the skyline dip. Then its just a case of shading to make your angles stand out from each other.

Marathon Earth and Mars has some nice shading for this. So does the GI:B demo. A well as Silent as The Grave from TI: the lost levels.
Last edited by ellio7t on May 9th '10, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post May 9th '10, 21:40

MoppyPuppy wrote:The Obed strategy is to tessellate hexagons, and then bend them with the bend tool.

That is essentially what I do, actually, except I draw them by hand. And they're not always hexagons.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 9th '10, 21:44

Started making a map, got the layout done and started most of the fillign/heighting.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 10th '10, 01:15

A friendly note: I would advise against making any designated "first levels" or "last levels." The awkwardness of two people making a "first level" aside, there's no need to assume that the audience are beginners at Marathon. So, don't worry about having a level with just Fighters and Drones (unless you really want to) or one where all you get is a pistol and you're not in any real danger.

Also, do me a favor and don't have an obscene amount of terminals in your level. 5 or 6 is probably more than enough.

And, as promised, I've linked to the Paradise Lost shapes. Included are four shapes patches: Water, Lava, Jjaro, and Sewage. (I disavow Pfhor, so there's no Pfhor patch.) There is also a shapes file with all four patches combined for easy use in Forge/VML. Remember that Atque and JUICE will only merge in one shapes patch per map, so only use one texture set's extra textures. This was made before VML existed, so there are some redundancies in the extra textures... deal with it.

Use of these textures, or textures similar to these, fall within what $lave and I consider reasonable for extra shapes. Eat death, robots.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 10th '10, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 10th '10, 04:16

RyokoTK wrote:I disavow Pfhor, so there's no Pfhor patch

NOOOOOO

Other than that, I'm using some textures I made for one of my maps because it doesn't make much sense without them (who sleeps on a metal bed?).
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post May 12th '10, 15:29

I'll try to find time for this (pending completion of prior commitments).
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post May 12th '10, 15:33

Okay, I know the answer is out there somewhere and I'm going to sound terrible stupid for asking, but I really can't find this (I've always been bad at looking for things): how do you get invisible defenders, and how do you make them against you at the beginning of a level?

There's probably some way of finding this information in 2 clicks, but I can't do it.

gmanyo

Post May 12th '10, 15:51

You have to edit your physics file. You have to check the defender's "invisible" flag and mark "marine" as an enemy in "behavior settings". If you want to make them unshootable as well, put it's radius on 1 or if that is possible on 0 or -1.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post May 13th '10, 00:17

Drictelt wrote:You have to edit your physics file. You have to check the defender's "invisible" flag and mark "marine" as an enemy in "behavior settings". If you want to make them unshootable as well, put it's radius on 1 or if that is possible on 0 or -1.

Or just make it invincible to everything.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 13th '10, 07:39

Then you can't spnkr them down of course.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post May 14th '10, 02:36

Hey, Project X is now officially underway with one complete map!

Now it's time for the rest of you turkeys to step up your game. :)
Attachments
FreshBreadandBrandy_0010.png
FreshBreadandBrandy_0010.png (466.14 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
FreshBreadandBrandy_0009.png
FreshBreadandBrandy_0009.png (454.44 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
FreshBreadandBrandy_0008.png
FreshBreadandBrandy_0008.png (352.95 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
FreshBreadandBrandy_0001.png
FreshBreadandBrandy_0001.png (459.49 KiB) Viewed 8915 times

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 15th '10, 01:08

RyokoTK wrote:Hey, Project X is now officially underway with one complete map!

Now it's time for the rest of you turkeys to step up your game. :)

At the time you posted this I had an 800 poly map in the works. It's a water map too. Sadly it will take quite a bit longer, due to the fact that its gonna need to go over 1024 polies, and I'm doing it in forge.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post May 15th '10, 01:21

My map is fully drawn and is underway to be textured.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 15th '10, 01:38

I have too little time to work on a map right now, but map is coming along. It looks nothing like Ryoko's (by how well-done it is), and I will need help improving it later.
Last edited by NXF on May 15th '10, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post May 15th '10, 02:26

My map's coming along, and it probably sucks ass. But hey, like I said, I'm trying.

gmanyo

Post May 17th '10, 13:23

Okay, I know this is a double post, and I promised I did quite a bit of searching first (I'm really, really terrible at finding things), so I'm going to go ahead and ask: how the heck do you get key cards to work? I keep trying things but nothing works; the switch can always just be turned on and off. Does the map goal have to be set to 'repair'? I'd rather not set it to that.

gmanyo

Post May 17th '10, 14:39

The key card item is a dud. It doesn't do anything, but if your mission type is "Retrieval" you have to find them all.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 17th '10, 14:51

got aobut 60% of my map textured now.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 17th '10, 15:24

RyokoTK wrote:The key card item is a dud. It doesn't do anything, but if your mission type is "Retrieval" you have to find them all.

Ah. Well that sucks. Kind of ruins how my map works.

I guess I could get around it by putting the card on a small trigger polygon (it would do one of those multiple terminal platform tricks, but with a switch), but who knows how many things could go wrong with that.

*EDIT*

Wait, then how is it that key cards leave your inventory when you hit certain switches?
Last edited by gmanyo on May 17th '10, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post May 17th '10, 17:42

gmanyo wrote:Ah. Well that sucks. Kind of ruins how my map works.

I guess I could get around it by putting the card on a small trigger polygon (it would do one of those multiple terminal platform tricks, but with a switch), but who knows how many things could go wrong with that.

*EDIT*

Wait, then how is it that key cards leave your inventory when you hit certain switches?

You might be thinking of chips/chip insertion switches.

$lave

Post May 17th '10, 17:51

gmanyo wrote:Ah. Well that sucks. Kind of ruins how my map works.

*EDIT*

You're thinking of uplink chips and chip insertion switches, which are basically tag switches.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects