Summer mapmaking collaboration project

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post May 17th '10, 17:57

RyokoTK wrote:You're thinking of uplink chips and chip insertion switches, which are basically tag switches.

Wait, they're different? Wow, shows how much I know.

Anyhoo, I was really just trying to figure out how to make a switch only work if you had a key card an uplink chip.
Last edited by gmanyo on May 18th '10, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post May 18th '10, 12:38

To make a switch that eats an uplink chip: put the switch type on "chip insertion"
To make a switch that eats a key card: same, but you have to use mml to make chip insertions eat key cards instead of uplink chips.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post May 18th '10, 15:45

Drictelt wrote:To make a switch that eats an uplink chip: put the switch type on "chip insertion"
To make a switch that eats a key card: same, but you have to use mml to make chip insertions eat key cards instead of uplink chips.

I can't seem to find this in VML. Will I need to use Forge?

gmanyo

Post May 18th '10, 15:52

gmanyo wrote:I can't seem to find this in VML. Will I need to use Forge?

When you place the switch, the control panel editor will come up automatically. Press the action key to switch the type of control panel until it says "chip", then set the tag by holding mic and pressing the primary or secondary trigger. Finally, hit the primary trigger to save the control panel.
Last edited by treellama on May 18th '10, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 18th '10, 16:11

Treellama wrote:When you place the switch, the control panel editor will come up automatically. Press the action key to switch the type of control panel until it says "chip", then set the tag by holding mic and pressing the primary or secondary trigger. Finally, hit the primary trigger to save the control panel.

Hmm, maybe my VML file is corrupted, then. As far as I know, I have the newest one, but for some reason I only get 3 modes: light, platform, and tag. Not only that, but I have to press the action key 3 times to get through the tags section. I'll try re-downloading it sometime soon.
Last edited by gmanyo on May 18th '10, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post May 18th '10, 21:01

gmanyo wrote:Hmm, maybe my VML file is corrupted, then. As far as I know, I have the newest one, but for some reason I only get 3 modes: light, platform, and tag. Not only that, but I have to press the action key 3 times to get through the tags section. I'll try re-downloading it sometime soon.

That's happened to me a couple times but I never remember to report the bug :C

It's still providing the right types, but it only displays "Tag." They are, in order, Tag Wires Chip. (I think.)

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 19th '10, 00:52

RyokoTK wrote:That's happened to me a couple times but I never remember to report the bug :C

It's still providing the right types, but it only displays "Tag." They are, in order, Tag Wires Chip. (I think.)

Ah, okay, thanks a bunch.

gmanyo

Post May 22nd '10, 14:28

started texturing, woopie!
[attachment=3811:UntitledLevel_0000.png]
[attachment=3812:UntitledLevel_0001.png]
[attachment=3813:UntitledLevel_0002.png]
Attachments
UntitledLevel_0002.png
UntitledLevel_0002.png (786.97 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
UntitledLevel_0001.png
UntitledLevel_0001.png (750.51 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
UntitledLevel_0000.png
UntitledLevel_0000.png (779.74 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 23rd '10, 02:39

I've got something up my sleeve. It's not dirty at all, mind you.
Kurinn

Post May 23rd '10, 04:09

Nice, it's nice to see progress.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 25th '10, 01:02

Another map I've started:

$lave

Post May 25th '10, 01:19

NF;DC

NO FOG; DIDN'T CARE
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 25th '10, 16:02

I really hate it how the map I am making sucks so much ass compared to the ones posted here.

gmanyo

Post May 25th '10, 16:39

relax, practice makes decent.
Last edited by CryoS on Jun 2nd '10, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 25th '10, 19:53

Some of these look more like netmaps than anything else.
NXF
uhh, UN?

Post May 26th '10, 08:41

fier wrote:Some of these look more like netmaps than anything else.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

goran

Post May 26th '10, 13:28

$lave says he was thinking of one of my netmaps when he was making the pictured level. Legal action is pending.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post May 26th '10, 23:00

fier wrote:Some of these look more like netmaps than anything else.

Well you know, the new trend I've seen in video games, especially Bungie games is to incorporate multiplayer levels for use in single player.
One map two games.

Ever play Halo 3 ODST? Its very blatant.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 27th '10, 02:44

MoppyPuppy wrote:Well you know, the new trend I've seen in video games, especially Bungie games is to incorporate multiplayer levels for use in single player.
One map two games.

That would be crazy if someone made a marathon map that was compatible with every game type!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post May 27th '10, 06:16

brilliant wrote:That would be crazy if someone made a marathon map that was compatible with every game type!

Thunderdome
Last edited by CryoS on May 27th '10, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 27th '10, 10:08

MoppyPuppy wrote:Well you know, the new trend I've seen in video games, especially Bungie games is to incorporate multiplayer levels for use in single player.
One map two games.

Maps in halo 3 ODST are very detailed, which means they take a long time to make. I guess that for Bungie it's not a style-trend, but time-economics. Makes sense, right? They're professionals afterall. At the end of the day it's about making money.

goran

Post May 27th '10, 12:53

Goran wrote:Maps in halo 3 ODST are very detailed, which means they take a long time to make. I guess that for Bungie it's not a style-trend, but time-economics. Makes sense, right? They're professionals afterall. At the end of the day it's about making money.

If they employed RyokoTK for six months, they'd have 100 very detailed levels. How much could that possibly cost?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 27th '10, 13:05

Treellama wrote:If they employed RyokoTK for six months, they'd have 100 very detailed levels. How much could that possibly cost?

I'm just glad Bungie is getting smarter with its planning and time management. It allows for great games despite ridiculous deadlines.
What exactly determines their deadlines anyway?
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post May 27th '10, 13:12

MoppyPuppy wrote:I'm just glad Bungie is getting smarter with its planning and time management. It allows for great games despite ridiculous deadlines.
What exactly determines their deadlines anyway?

Why don't you write to them and ask?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 27th '10, 13:52

Send a phone for a quicker response.

irons
(.Y.)

PreviousNext

Return to Projects