Marathon:Legend First Look

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 31st '11, 00:45

Everything $lave said, plus

SPNKR ammo everywhere

Monsters: juggernaut on the first level, in a small room, that dies with two shots from one of the guns. The rest of the monsters look like you closed your eyes in the editor and started clicking randomly. They're also all minor: did you film this demo on kindergarten?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 31st '11, 01:02

A few points.

Yes this actually was shot on kindergarten. Forgot to change that....

This is not actually on a ship, it is on Tau Ceti in the Tau Ceti Water Treatment Plant.

Yes, Irons, the SPNKr was a stand in for a rifle... A very strong rifle called the PPPG-9A1 (yes that is a warped acronym for PewPewPew Gun 9001)

also, this is not the first level. In fact, it's not even going to be in the game like this at all.
I made it just to show off as much as I could.

Those are miniature M1 HUDs. They are the Wave Motion Packets.

I find all of your points valid.

The first things I will do is:

-Alter the power of the Wave Motion Cannon (the fusion pistol)
-Add the PPPG9A1
-Add the KKV6
-Attempt to finish the Minion (Pfhor cyborg), if this is not possible, I will replace it with a different monster.
-Replace that god awful map with a better one
-Reduce the Bloom.

Any other alterations you guys want?

Don't fret, this is nowhere near done.

I do intend to take a break once I'm done with the core components, just to practice my mapping.

Also, about the confrontation with Admiral Grendel.

Grendel used Durandal's rampancy to his advantage, when Durandal brought the Pfhor to the Marathon, it created instant chaos, which he used to cloak his evil scheme.
While the crew of the Marathon was under attack, Grendel struck a deal with T'fear, where Grendel was allowed to call on a small legion of Pfhor troopers and other footsoldiers.

The Pfhor task force assasinated the Governer of Tau Ceti, allowing Grendel to not only be next in line for the captain of the Marathon, but also be the new political leader of Tau Ceti.
Additionally, if the Pfhor could take slaves from Tau Ceti and the Marathon, T'fear's deal stated that he would have to leave the system with all allied forces.

End result: Tau Ceti in ruins, the Marathon demolished, Grendel looks like a war hero, and you and that other guy (you know, the Marathon Man) are forgotten.

I intend for him to be in some sort of mechanized suit, requiring heavy firepower to kill.
Last edited by zero on Jan 31st '11, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 01:08

Cool. From what I gathered in your above post, the Wave Motion Packet graphic is going to stay as-is. If this is true, I'd like to point out that using an obvious game element as part of the game breaks the fourth wall in a way you might not want.

P.S. I was pleased my DBZ comment slipped by without an "OVER 9000" but then I saw your explanation for the rifle's name. In so many words:
Last edited by irons on Jan 31st '11, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 31st '11, 01:20

irons wrote:Cool. From what I gathered in your above post, the Wave Motion Packet graphic is going to stay as-is. If this is true, I'd like to point out that using an obvious game element as part of the game breaks the fourth wall in a way you might not want.

P.S. I was pleased my DBZ comment slipped by without an "OVER 9000" but then I saw your explanation for the rifle's name. In so many words:

lol. >9k.

I might edit the graphic a little bit.

Or maybe I should make a custom JON IRONS edition of the game.

Two levels, all floors replaced with pure Pfhor JUICE, no graphics other than colored squares mapped to every object, and unlimited everything.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 01:32

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Tau Ceti in ruins

As opposed to?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 31st '11, 01:46

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Any other alterations you guys want?

It would be nice if you would change all the shapes and physics to be exactly like an existing scenario. There really isn't anything worth saving right now, and it would be best if you focused on making one part of a scenario. I would love it if you would just pick any scenario whose environment fits your idea and make a map-only scenario for that. Infinity and M2 both have texture sets for what you've described.

"But I want to make my own scenario with new texture sets and weapons and everything!!!"

Go ahead, but it will suck and no one will want to play it. If you don't know how to make texture sets, balance weapons or even create decent solo maps there is no way you are going to manage to do all of them at once.

I've been assuming that your goal is to make something that the community will like. If you just want to have fun playing around with the various editing tools then disregard everything and do whatever you want, but I'm not going to bother looking at it.

I do intend to take a break once I'm done with the core components, just to practice my mapping.

Mapping is the core component of any scenario. I know what you meant, but I'm trying to let you know that you have your priorities mixed up.

Edit: I should probably add that I am glad you're at least trying to make something. I just think the way you're going about it will lead to you giving up/losing interest before you produce anything decent.
Last edited by $lave on Jan 31st '11, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jan 31st '11, 02:03

irons wrote:From what I've seen, good bloom (if there is such a thing) is subtle and hazy, not a glow that acts as the only - and overdone - accoutrement to an aesthetically displeasing environment.

Care to revise your statement?

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 31st '11, 02:49

Treellama wrote:As opposed to?

Pre-war Tau Ceti.

I can't say Grendel wasn't successful in the "destroy Tau Ceti" part
Last edited by zero on Jan 31st '11, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 02:51

W wrote:

I would like to blame the script that made that image because as soon as i deleted it, the bloom was normalized.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 02:58

$lave wrote:It would be nice if you would change all the shapes and physics to be exactly like an existing scenario. There really isn't anything worth saving right now, and it would be best if you focused on making one part of a scenario. I would love it if you would just pick any scenario whose environment fits your idea and make a map-only scenario for that. Infinity and M2 both have texture sets for what you've described.

"But I want to make my own scenario with new texture sets and weapons and everything!!!"

Go ahead, but it will suck and no one will want to play it. If you don't know how to make texture sets, balance weapons or even create decent solo maps there is no way you are going to manage to do all of them at once.

I've been assuming that your goal is to make something that the community will like. If you just want to have fun playing around with the various editing tools then disregard everything and do whatever you want, but I'm not going to bother looking at it.
Mapping is the core component of any scenario. I know what you meant, but I'm trying to let you know that you have your priorities mixed up.

Edit: I should probably add that I am glad you're at least trying to make something. I just think the way you're going about it will lead to you giving up/losing interest before you produce anything decent.

Thank you for your input.

I wanted to make this an M1 scenario, being as it fit the time frame.

But then I realized that it would not allow me to tell my story in an appealing way.
After all, if I don't ask the community what they really hate, then it stays, and I lose the communities interest.

I am not making this for the community, I am making this to tell a story, a story where you are only a small part of a huge event, you are but one mythical warrior in a grand legend, the story of Marathon.

That is why I have to make so many changes, because so much is different.

As far as weapon balance goes, I understand that the WMC is WAAAAAAYYYYYY overpowered.
I intend to make it use more ammo faster, and nerf it a little bit.

And as for the PPPG, you only get it a few times more than the WMC (which you get about.... twice).

And as for the mapping, I finally got some assistance.
Shadowbreaker donated me a bunch of textures and maps from some of his canceled works, taking the workload off by almost half.

I already got a new Netmap done because of his charity.
Last edited by zero on Jan 31st '11, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 02:59

W wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if I could do that whenever I wanted with Lua?
Kurinn

Post Jan 31st '11, 03:09

DADDY Z3RO wrote:I am not making this for the community, I am making this to tell a story, a story where you are only a small part of a huge event, you are but one mythical warrior in a grand legend, the story of Marathon.

Why don't you just write a fanfic then? Those are pretty well received around these parts.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 31st '11, 03:13

Treellama wrote:Why don't you just write a fanfic then? Those are pretty well received around these parts.

I would. And I am almost 100% sure it would be a success, but I am already so far into this, and I already dropped one scenario (granted Motherland was a HORRIBLE IDEA to begin with), so I can't bring myself to quit.

What I could do however, is write up the plot as a fanfic, allow you guys to see it, and then, later, make a fully-fledged scenario, when I have more experience.

Sound acceptable?

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 31st '11, 05:11

It's a deal.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 31st '11, 06:40

DADDY Z3RO wrote:I would like to blame the script that made that image because as soon as i deleted it, the bloom was normalized.

I'm glad DOUCHEMAPS could help.

Wrkncacnter

Previous

Return to Projects