Marathon:Legend First Look

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 22nd '10, 02:58

ellio7t wrote:First off the thumb can't be in that position, it would break. When making a fist you must keep the thumb to the side. Next off is anatomy and perspective. Unless the player is doing an upper cut you would not see that much of the fingers.

Is this why I've been so unsuccessful punching people all this time?

Edit: Your avatar is hot
Last edited by treellama on Jul 22nd '10, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 22nd '10, 08:38

ellio7t wrote:First off the thumb can't be in that position, it would break. When making a fist you must keep the thumb to the side. Next off is anatomy and perspective. Unless the player is doing an upper cut you would not see that much of the fingers.

The thumb seems to be at a natural postion to me. Not tucked in between the fingers, but on the side. The uppercut critique is spot on though.

QUOTE(DADDY Z3RO)
I took resized pieces of the original sprites to make mine, the posing is the same.[/quote]

I've attached images of the infinity fists for reference. Your last frame is different in perspective compared to infinity's last frame.
Attachments
fists.jpg
fists.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
Last edited by goran on Jul 22nd '10, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jul 22nd '10, 16:33

ellio7t wrote:Unless the player is doing an upper cut you would not see that much of the fingers.

G.S.10 wrote:The uppercut critique is spot on though.

Not sure what you guys mean. Uppercuts end with the backhand facing the opponent -- his frame does not. Regular punches can begin from a variety of fighting stances, including those which feature the finger side of the fist facing inward -- as both his frame and the original frame indicates.

What leads me to perceive an uppercut motion in his frames is not how much of the fingers we are seeing, but rather the lack of change in the angle and axis of the arm and its perspective as it makes its transition from an idle fighting stance to a thrown punch. The underside of the forearm should begin facing us, and end facing the floor. Right now it's ending facing the opponent.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jul 22nd '10, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 22nd '10, 17:35

The original fist sprite has the player gripping something(brass knuckles and a roll of quarters with an armbrace). When you traced it you removed these elements however you did not compensate for their absence. You have fingers bending in all sorts of ways as well as a total lack of a wrist. Thumbnails?

You want to keep the thumb to the side so you don't roll it when you make contact. It's mostly a safety thing for when you don't land the punch directly. The upper cut remark was just a note on the lack of perspective.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jul 22nd '10, 18:36

ellio7t wrote:The original fist sprite has the player gripping something(brass knuckles and a roll of quarters with an armbrace). When you traced it you removed these elements however you did not compensate for their absence. You have fingers bending in all sorts of ways as well as a total lack of a wrist. Thumbnails?
You want to keep the thumb to the side so you don't roll it when you make contact. It's mostly a safety thing for when you don't land the punch directly. The upper cut remark was just a note on the lack of perspective.

ok.
his wrist is there.... where his hand ends.

I may just add the "brass knuckles and a roll of quarters with an armbrace".

That would make sense.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 22nd '10, 18:38

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Not sure what you guys mean. Uppercuts end with the backhand facing the opponent -- his frame does not. Regular punches can begin from a variety of fighting stances, including those which feature the finger side of the fist facing inward -- as both his frame and the original frame indicates.

What leads me to perceive an uppercut motion in his frames is not how much of the fingers we are seeing, but rather the lack of change in the angle and axis of the arm and its perspective as it makes its transition from an idle fighting stance to a thrown punch. The underside of the forearm should begin facing us, and end facing the floor. Right now it's ending facing the opponent.

I am goint to go and rotate the third frame now...

You are correct, and it is not an uppercut, just a punch with weird perspectve... I intend to correct that with a simple rotation.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 22nd '10, 18:40

RyokoTK wrote:"I knowingly took bad pieces of work and copied them to make new bad pieces of work even though I did mine from scratch."

only the thumb and lower palm was used as a frame for my new art. I copied nothing, as nothing remains of the original thumb now.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 22nd '10, 20:06

It might be helpful for you to also use the fist frames from the Xbox Live version of Marathon: Durandal as reference. I haven't seen them animated, but from the screenshots it looks as though one thing they seem to have done well is the axis of the arm and fist as it tilts from idle to having just punched.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 22nd '10, 21:14

Ares Ex Machina wrote:It might be helpful for you to also use the fist frames from the Xbox Live version of Marathon: Durandal as reference. I haven't seen them animated, but from the screenshots it looks as though one thing they seem to have done well is the axis of the arm and fist as it tilts from idle to having just punched.

I getcha, I would use them for reference, but I would need to have all of the frames.
If I wasn't gonna get whined to about using copyrighted content, I would rather just take and use the XBLA versions sprites.
Last edited by zero on Jul 22nd '10, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 23rd '10, 06:56

I'm sorry, but this is total bullshit. Stop what you are doing, and go find a better way to live your life.

Just kidding... Really though, you went through such trouble to "improve" the fist? The FIST?

Throughout history artists have imitated older works in order to learn and improve their skills. I think it's good that you have started down this road, but you should probably aim higher in order to find your way.

I'm not even saying that the fist cannot be improved. Nevertheless, please try harder. I'd like to see a new take on the plasma pistol, but the fist is kind of lame. Not even just your fist, but the fist in general. It's the most unappealing weapon within the scope of all of the manifold methods of pain delivery. Even something as ridiculous as MSPAINT knuckle dusters would be an improvement. Did you use MSPAINT? It sucks that much. Don't get discouraged by what I'm saying here, I wouldn't even presume that you would be; But, please reconsider what you are doing.
Kurinn

Post Jul 23rd '10, 07:00

MoppyPuppy wrote:With all seriousness, why not just use the original?

Moppy said something that makes sense. Holy shit...

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
Kurinn

Post Jul 23rd '10, 08:55

Kurinn wrote:"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

What did that quote have to do with anything?
Is copying and pasting well known quotes supposed to make you look smart and sophisticated or something? Cut the crap.

Listen, the fist doesn't need to be improved, or even simply re-done. It needs to be CUT.
Give the player a machete or something, in Phoenix, your given the katar, so what are fists for?
Removal of the fist opens the door for another dual wield-able weapon.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 23rd '10, 10:52

A poking device!
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Jul 23rd '10, 16:25

giggity giggity

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 23rd '10, 18:15

[So as not to feed the troll]
Last edited by Kurinn on Jul 23rd '10, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn

Post Jul 24th '10, 01:17

I kept the fists because no matter how much i detest their concept, I wanted to maintain the original concept, and create an enhanced sprite...

Fists have never been remade or enhanced before.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 24th '10, 05:14

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Fists have never been remade or enhanced before.

Yes they have. They were in the WEP originally, but people preferred the original fists to the replacements and they were eventually removed.

$lave

Post Jul 24th '10, 06:18

$lave wrote:Yes they have. They were in the WEP originally, but people preferred the original fists to the replacements and they were eventually removed.

That's probably because they weren't enhanced.
They were plastic.

I'll take this opportunity to point out that a lot of things in Marathon were not 3-D modeled, and they look better because of that.
If your going to enhance the fist, I'd seriously recommend using Photoshop.
To think that plastic looking 3-D models enhances anything is like thinking that any object covered in chrome looks more futuristic.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 24th '10, 17:56

$lave wrote:Yes they have. They were in the WEP originally, but people preferred the original fists to the replacements and they were eventually removed.

May I see them?

and I agree with Moppy, 3d is a pain to do and it usually looks like plastic.
I hated every weapon in WEP except the alien weapon (it was already plastic), the SPNKr, and the SMG.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 24th '10, 19:42

DADDY Z3RO wrote:May I see them?

I don't have any of the WEP or images of them, you'll have to try to find them yourself.
Last edited by $lave on Jul 24th '10, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jul 25th '10, 18:48

How about "just stop for now?" You should really start with netmaps or Project X or something.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jan 22nd '11, 23:23

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!

NEW SCREENSHOTS FROM THE DEMO.

Mind you there are still many thing to be altered still, but i think it is moving along nicely.
In a few days, I'll have it ready for testing

--------------------ALSO---------------------

Multiplayer colors will be different in Legend. Most notably, "Slate" is now a medium gray color, and "Yellow" is a pale tan shade.

I need a lil' assistance in how to make the player color menu display these colors.
Attachments
GrendelLives_0012.png
GrendelLives_0012.png (482.35 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
GrendelLives_0007.png
GrendelLives_0007.png (305.95 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Lockdown_0003.png
Lockdown_0003.png (410.77 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
GrendelLives_0001.png
GrendelLives_0001.png (405.53 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
GrendelLives_0020.png
GrendelLives_0020.png (486.31 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Lockdown_0000.png
Lockdown_0000.png (426.64 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
GrendelLives_0014.png
GrendelLives_0014.png (494.33 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
GrendelLives_0010.png
GrendelLives_0010.png (459.52 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
GrendelLives_0006.png
GrendelLives_0006.png (490.36 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
GrendelLives_0005.png
GrendelLives_0005.png (603.98 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
GrendelLives_0002.png
GrendelLives_0002.png (407.35 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
GrendelLives_0008.png
GrendelLives_0008.png (422.99 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
Last edited by zero on Jan 22nd '11, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 23rd '11, 15:14

Nice shots, I'm itching to play it myself so keep it up.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

VirtualX1
no

Post Jan 23rd '11, 23:14

I like the alterations you've made to the pistol, keeps the original concept but makes it look a lot less ugly. As for the pipebomb(?) I'd recommend taking a look at Marathon: Hoth for the best implementation of grenade like explosives I've seen in Marathon.
Also, for multiplayer, I'd recommend patching your shapes file and merging it and the physics into your netmaps so they can be played with a regular Infinity set-up.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jan 24th '11, 01:22

Dat wrote:for multiplayer, I'd recommend patching your shapes file and merging it and the physics into your netmaps so they can be played with a regular Infinity set-up.

There are limits to how big a shapes patch can be for this purpose. We're talking about a couple of textures.

goran

PreviousNext

Return to Projects