Marathon:Legend First Look

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 24th '11, 01:29

I was afraid someone would say that.
Unfortunately it seems like the only way for a scenario to have successful MP, considering no one can be bothered to switch apps for a few games.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jan 24th '11, 21:37

Well, that wasn't a pipebomb, it was actually the steering apparatus for the jetpack.

As far as MP goes, I may release a few select maps to M:I in altered format, but before i get too carried away, I would like to ask if anyone wants to help me script and map for this project.

Primarily because I don't think I have ever seen a one-man project for ANY scenario.
I have seen all sorts of small team scenarios but none as small as mine.

Mapping is really hard and strenuous, as well as scripting things that are essential.

I need a better guide to creating chapter screens and music scripting.

I KNOW someone here knows how to do such things.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 25th '11, 00:13

looks like you got all the shader scripting you need
bright = good
bullet clouds
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 25th '11, 01:46

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Primarily because I don't think I have ever seen a one-man project for ANY scenario.

lol!
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jan 25th '11, 03:44

I don't know if anyone's asked yet, but is there a story line? And if there is, what is it?
The guy who is alotted a lot, and I mean"alot,"of rockets to the face.

Furray
West Richland, WA

Post Jan 25th '11, 03:59

pictures' worth a thousand word's look at the origenal post
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 25th '11, 04:01

Wasn't Marathon: RED made by one dude? or at least 95% of it made by one dude.

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 25th '11, 04:48

shitty terminal textures
pointless polys
if i wanted to play devil in a blue dress, i would.

bloom, a tc does not make
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 26th '11, 01:11

Allow me to clarify.

There is a plot.
Also, the bloom is nonscripted, it's embedded into the color palletes, i set those colors that produce bloom as self luminescent.
These are extra bloom shapes made for my enjoyment and anyone else who likes it when things glow.

that is one of many terminal textures, the others will hopefully please you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Marathon Legend, you are aboard the Marathon at the time of (and before) the attack, of course, this is no remake, you are a different security guard who seems to always get crappy jobs around the Marathon.
while repairing a faulty airlock, the invasion force docks to the ship TO YOUR AIRLOCK.
You fix the door only to reveal a horde of Pfhor invaders, which leads you to fear for the safety of the rest of the crew.
You frantically hurry to a nearby terminal, where you see the prerecorded alert message Leela posted.
This is officially the worst work day of your life.
You return to the Sector A Courtyard (where you started off) finding to your horror, that the entire crew is being massacred or captured by the Pfhor.

After fighting your way to the command bridge, you find a leading crew member, Sheldon Blake (yeah, Robert Blake's father), whom informs you that the captain ran from his post to aid his fellow crewmen, and is likely dead.

Blake is assuming the role of surrogate captain until UESC Admiral Peter Grendel arrives from his flagship, "the Jackal".

After that, your mission is to repel as much of the invasion force as humanly possible.
Along the way, Admiral Grendel informs you that there is a very important experimental weapon which would be devastating if it were captured by the Pfhor.
The weapon is the highly experimental Wave Motion Cannon, which was being developed in the science sector. Unfortunately, the science sector was hit so hard that it literally detached from the rest of the ship.
Amongst the things lost in the explosion were Tycho's AI core, and the whole staff.

You are sent to investigate, using a makeshift jetpack constructed from spare flamethrower parts, but as you jettison from the marathon, you are captured by the Pfhor, and sentenced to death by "The Pit"

The Pit is a large elevator descending into a pit of Pfhor engine coolant (the goo).
Upon reaching the goo, you are flung through a high pressure pipe that launches you into an arena with a hellish beast named "the Armageddon Monster".
If you can kill it, you are pardoned and sent to a holding cell rather than be killed.

if you win, your escape is guaranteed. If you use a bit of obvious ingenuity, you can escape the cell, then, a team of three other guards will aid your progress to get to the Pfhor hangar.
Once there, you jet to the broken science sector, which is in view...

after that, the spoilers get way too heavy.... So I won't type it out unless you REEAAALLY want it.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 26th '11, 01:30

so its escape from marathon the game

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 26th '11, 01:46

irons wrote:so its escape from marathon the game

not exactly.

never read that before now.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 26th '11, 01:52

It's RTM chapter 2.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jan 27th '11, 02:36

Some non-screenshot stuffz...
All of it is W.I.P. and subject to change.

The Armageddon beast, being recreated from the whopping two pictures we have of it,pencil art of chapter 3's chapter screen, a canned chapter 4 chapter screen (not up to my standards), and an unfinished pic of the KKV-6 SMG in first person.

And yes, I know how anatomically impossible the main character's pointing arm and every limb on the other guy is.
Attachments
kkv6redesign1.jpg
kkv6redesign1.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 4873 times

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Escape.png
Escape.png (3.78 MiB) Viewed 4874 times
armageddon_beast_side.png
armageddon_beast_side.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
Last edited by zero on Jan 27th '11, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 27th '11, 05:35

Why is the marine firing up in the air?

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 28th '11, 02:42

Horkeldorf wrote:Why is the marine firing up in the air?

Why not?
Kurinn

Post Jan 28th '11, 03:14

Kurinn wrote:Why not?

Just seems kind of silly.

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 28th '11, 19:49

Horkeldorf wrote:Just seems kind of silly.

Your name is silly, but nobody has a problem with that.
Kurinn

Post Jan 28th '11, 21:00

It's all for dramatic effect.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 28th '11, 21:09

Kurinn wrote:Your name is silly, but nobody has a problem with that.

Speak for yourself.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 28th '11, 21:47

Kurinn wrote:Your name is silly, but nobody has a problem with that.

Touché

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 30th '11, 22:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sezrjmpFXTs&feature=feedu

Now you can see the demo.

Mind you I am not done with it.

Also, sorry about the lack of sound in the vid.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 30th '11, 23:27

Treellama wrote:What is this I don't even

I accidentally all of it?

what do you mean?
Is something wrong? Contructive criticism is appreciated.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 30th '11, 23:56

I would advise against giving the player every weapon within the first minute or two of playing the game. The fusion pistol also looks ridiculous, and I'm not really sure what the idea is behind the weapons you've chosen.

I also have no idea just be looking at the level what it's supposed to be. You have textures from the Marathon, the Jjaro ship and Lh'owon scattered about and puddles of water in a few places. I'll assume it's supposed to be a ship, but it doesn't look anything like a ship. There also isn't a single change in floor elevation as far as I can tell.

I would tell you to make a short Infinity scenario before continuing with this, but no one seems to listen to that sort of advice.

tl;dr something is very wrong.
Last edited by $lave on Jan 31st '11, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jan 31st '11, 00:43

Silence is OK; people can hear the crickets better.

HAHA just kidding but here we go.

I'll pick up on one of $lave's points. The weapons' power (mainly, as $lave said, what once was the fusion gun) and their potpourri distribution/style remind me of just about every new guy's modifications, including mine back in the day. $lave is also right about elevations. The mixture we're seeing in this video of textures and architecture mostly brings me back to the flattest and least exciting places in the original game, like that area early on in M1 where you have to toggle three switches or insert three cards or something all really close to each other. Pretty bland.

Mostly, though, I have to say that your bloom is insane and distracts me even more in motion than it did in screenshots. Why do you have it like that? It looks terrible. From what I've seen, good bloom (if there is such a thing) is subtle and hazy, not a glow that acts as the only - and overdone - accoutrement to an aesthetically displeasing environment.

The first terminal was put together better than I thought it would be, but there are still several trademark mistakes, like improper usage of "it's," that don't make me optimistic about the writing. The plot might be in medias res for all I know, but that first terminal seems pretty incoherent. Maybe that's what you're looking for. If it actually foreshadows a confrontation between the player and Admiral Grendel, I have to warn you that I think human characters are generally out-of-place in the engine as a whole, unless they are goofy like BoBs. Squadron is the most human-oriented scenario I've seen, and shongsong's efforts to make the characters move like people who don't want to die instantly only served to increase their choppiness and unrealism. The idea of fighting some human figure in the middle of Pfhor and so on is pretty silly. I don't know, maybe you weren't going to do that anyway.

Here are some highlights that I hope will help.
  • The Pfhor cyborg looks ridiculous because it doesn't have any animations.
  • Why so many 2x cans at the beginning? It's a bit cheesy.
  • Are those miniature Marathon 1 HUDs the player is picking up??
  • Your terminals also use lots of boldface.
  • Tycho's terminal looks like it has hard line breaks you inserted. So the paragraph is a bunch of jagged long + short alternating lines.
  • Do you actually think this looks good:
  • What's the deal with the rocket launcher? Stand-in for a rifle?
  • Why is there anything in the way at all after the player gets the fusion gun? For example, that MOAH at the end was useless. This leads me to believe we're playing Dragon Ball Z and not a decent, balanced game. oogaBooga already made a better Dragon Ball Z level, so you're out of luck.
  • Final terminal: come on, is proper (or even consistent) capitalization that hard?
So that's why I'm not too excited about this, as a whole.

On the other hand, at least you didn't make a retarded title screen yet. You might still do something worthwhile.
Last edited by irons on Jan 31st '11, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

irons
(.Y.)

PreviousNext

Return to Projects