Marathon: Sundancer

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 13th '10, 22:04

Here's a level I've been working on in my scenario I'd like to share for feedback on improvement. I used some of the flying code in Dropship.lua (I altered lots of it). You're supposed to play as the role of a UESC fighter pilot who's been assigned to assist UESC Marathon when it's under attack. In this level, you're repelling troopers from boarding the ship in a very small section of the side of the ship for 2 minutes. Press the mic button to take off from the dock (Make sure its CAPS LOCK), but from hyperspace on (you'll know when the game starts) you don't need the mic button for anything. Cycle weapon forward and backward adjust the speed (no reverse or stop unlike dropship). you switch weapons with the action key, but there is no second weapon yet (well there was, but it kinda sucked). I'm open for any feedback on how to improve the flying scripting.

http://www.4shared.com/file/BUiBeo_B/Marathon_Sundancer.html
Until next time...

RAITHE [Pfhor Military Base AI Ver. 4.2]

raithe

Post Aug 13th '10, 22:36

The one glaring flaw I noticed while playing this is that it's not titled Marathon: Starfox.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Aug 13th '10, 22:39

I'm sorry Dis, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 13th '10, 22:40

Dis wrote:What's the problem?

I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 13th '10, 22:40

Dis wrote:What are you talking about, RAITHE?

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 14th '10, 00:04

Its really fun so far. I noticed in order to jump into hyperspace the speed needed to be set to max, it wouldn't work with the other speeds. When I was on the bridge I seemed to get stuck and couldn't move sometimes, even when trying to look up to get higher. Also, would it be possible to add another slower speed, or would a slower speed than .3 be to slow? I don't know if players were supposed to pick up weapons, but I can pick up the fusion pistol from a bob after the mission is complete :). This is really cool, thank you!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Aug 14th '10, 02:19

brilliant wrote:Its really fun so far. I noticed in order to jump into hyperspace the speed needed to be set to max, it wouldn't work with the other speeds. When I was on the bridge I seemed to get stuck and couldn't move sometimes, even when trying to look up to get higher. Also, would it be possible to add another slower speed, or would a slower speed than .3 be to slow? I don't know if players were supposed to pick up weapons, but I can pick up the fusion pistol from a bob after the mission is complete :). This is really cool, thank you!

yeah I put a message at the start of the level that says it needs to be at MAX, but perhaps I need to be a bit clearer. I need to do something about that bridge, you just need to be a bit higher than it. I was gonna use a slower speed, but I thought it would ruin the starfighter experience. Maybe it would be better if I made less "drifting" when you turn. But then again the stereotypical "starfighter experience" in games isn't exactly the same as real life. There's much more drifting when piloting a spaceship in real life, since it's a vacuum. Its also increases the difficulty the up the speed range. I plan on spicing up that level in some other ways as well.
Last edited by raithe on Aug 14th '10, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 14th '10, 20:51

RAITHE wrote:yeah I put a message at the start of the level that says it needs to be at MAX, but perhaps I need to be a bit clearer.

When I start the game, it only says "Press action key to jump to hypers" and the rest is cut off. After playing it a bit more, the speeds are good, I just had to get used to it.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Return to Projects