Drone.lua beta

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 19th '10, 05:11

This is a script, physics model, and shapes file that, when all are loaded, simulates being a drone (Make sure the map you are using doesn\'t have a physics model merged). Use the mic key (spacebar is good) to move and look up or down to change altitude. when the mic key is off, you are stationary and cannot move. Use the cycle weapons forward and backward to dodge right and left (dodging is pretty buggy at the moment, working on a solution). The more repair chips you have (uplink chips), the faster you will regenerate health. The drone bolts you fire have a homing system that homes towards the last enemy you aimed at (to turn this off, open the script and set "enabled" to "false"). I\'m working on making this multiplayer, but for now that is totally a NO.
KNOWN BUGS: when you land on the floor, you usually are stuck there and cannot go up again, but you can still move around on the level you are at (if you go off a ledge or go up a level (floor-wise) you'll be able to take off again).

Once I'll be satisfied with how this one turns out, I'll move on to a juggernaut one.
HERE IT IS:
[center][attachment=4207:Drone_1.01.zip]

[attachment=4128:Delusion...eur_0001.png]
[attachment=4129:Delusion...eur_0004.png]
[attachment=4130:Delusion...eur_0005.png]
[/center]
Attachments
Drone_1.01.zip
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Drone.zip
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
DelusionsofGrandeur_0005.png
DelusionsofGrandeur_0005.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 4696 times
DelusionsofGrandeur_0004.png
DelusionsofGrandeur_0004.png (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4691 times
DelusionsofGrandeur_0001.png
DelusionsofGrandeur_0001.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 4690 times
Last edited by raithe on Aug 29th '10, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...

RAITHE [Pfhor Military Base AI Ver. 4.2]

raithe

Post Aug 19th '10, 07:02

Kind of fun, a little bit challenging to control at times, and slow on some levels that are more, complex, shall we say?

Still, I like the hell out of this. Keep it up!
Kurinn

Post Aug 19th '10, 13:13

Those overlay strings look WAY too long to fit on a smaller screen. You get maybe 10 characters at 640x480, and don't forget they aren't necessarily in the same place, so don't try to be cute and combine two overlays like that. Use icons, that's what they're for.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '10, 14:16

Treellama wrote:and don't forget they aren't necessarily in the same place,

How do you mean this? Are they sometimes displayed in a different order?
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Aug 19th '10, 14:30

Drictelt wrote:How do you mean this? Are they sometimes displayed in a different order?

I think we will try to keep them in the same order, but in a future release they may be displayed vertically, in a grid, etc. The only guarantee is you will get as many characters as now fit at 640x480, and the icon and text will be kept together.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '10, 14:52

Maybe if there were a some new empty slots added in the Controls Prefs. As in, you can assign a key to them, but they don't do anything. Not until the script uses them, anyway.

Sorry it's a bit off topic, and this has probably been suggested before.
Attachments
Open_Keys.png
Open_Keys.png (57.63 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
Last edited by President People on Aug 19th '10, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Aug 19th '10, 15:24

Heck, it was suggested this week. [MTongue] I suggested it shortly after lua was added to the game.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 19th '10, 15:26

Must have missed that part. [MErr]
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Aug 19th '10, 16:33

... and don't forget they aren't necessarily in the same place, so don't try to be cute and combine two overlays like that.

I can see what you mean by them not being in the same place. The overlay health meter sometimes goes way out in the decimal places, over(or under)lapping the overlay next to it. I'll do something about that.

I just realized the HUD showed up on those screenshots, and on some levels the hud isn't even there, and that's why I put the health overlay up:
[attachment=4134:Citadel_0000.png]

I figured out what made it so slow. It's the auto-acquire feature. In a "complex" map (Confound Delivery), I noticed it only slowed down significantly when I fired a projectile. I made an option to disable it, although it doesn't speed things up very much in that version I posted. I'll have to post the new one. I guess I need to find a way to simplify the feature. I don't think the "target life readings" overlay is necessary, so I can boot that out to speed things up.

I took all those things out and I tested it on a complex map like "confound delivery", but it still seems slow.
Attachments
Citadel_0000.png
Citadel_0000.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4691 times
Last edited by raithe on Aug 19th '10, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 19th '10, 16:51

Well, that isn't what I meant about them not being in the same place. At some point in the future, overlay 1 could be in the lower left corner of the screen, and overlay 2 could be in the lower right corner, for instance.

Fixing the health % decimals is easy, just use string.format. You better test your script at 640x480 though, there's no way all those letters are going to fit.

Edit: Citadel is a pathological map, it's going to be slow even without Lua
Last edited by treellama on Aug 19th '10, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '10, 17:17

I tested the speed on Confound Delivery. I used Citadel to demonstrate a map where the HUD wouldn't show.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 21st '10, 13:54

There's no map setting to disable the HUD. My guess is Citadel ate up all your memory and the HUD graphics can't load.

The script didn't work for me (tested on Confound Delivery and Citadel); I never turned into a drone, even with your physics and shapes files selected. I could move around normally most of the time; only occasionally was I locked into using the mic-button thruster. I did get overlay text, which didn't all fit on my screen, and got a frame rate of about .3 fps whenever a monster fired at me.

Your nested loops are making the script unnecessarily slow. Right off the bat, you're calculating the distance between players p and l, without even checking if p and l are the same, or that l is dead (the only time you care). You do something similar with projectiles and monsters -- you do the math for every combination, even when you don't care about the projectile and have no need to loop at all. You even loop over Monsters() a second time, but the n monster is completely meaningless.

The attached version cleans up these loop problems, and runs without slowdown for me. I still don't get to be a drone, but I don't lock up for 3 seconds whenever a hunter or Flickta fires.

[attachment=4140:Drone_Hopper.lua.txt]
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Aug 22nd '10, 23:55

Hopper wrote:I still don't get to be a drone, but I don't lock up for 3 seconds whenever a hunter or Flickta fires.

Sounds like your version ruins all the fun. :(
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 24th '10, 01:50

irons wrote:Sounds like your version ruins all the fun. :(

Great, now you or wrk (and does it really matter who???) will post a scenario where Yetis hurl cans of JUICE, and the player will lock up in awestruck wonderment until each projectile explodes and turns him into a garish smear on the wall. Color me unimpressed.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Aug 24th '10, 02:08

Hopper wrote:Great, now you or wrk (and does it really matter who???) will post a scenario where Yetis hurl cans of JUICE, and the player will lock up in awestruck wonderment until each projectile explodes and turns him into a garish smear on the wall. Color me unimpressed.

You know, I was just about done with this too, but if you're going to be a huge douche about it, I'm not going to release it.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 24th '10, 02:12

W wrote:You know, I was just about done with this too, but if you're going to be a huge douche about it, I'm not going to release it.

Oh please release it! What ever it is.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Aug 29th '10, 22:02

[attachment=4206:Drone_1.01.zip]

Fixed it up, got rid the useless revival script, since it's not even netgame compatible yet. Also made the homing system simpler. Since the possessed drone projectile is already guided (as defined in the physics model), I just made it pick the projectile's target by the last monster you aimed at, no direction, pitch, and proximity calculations necessary. Speeds things up alot more. I tested it on an unmerged Confound Delivery. If there's already a physics model merged, it will override the one you selected in "Environment" (a big hint that there is a merged physics model is when you can move around normally with out the microphone thruster). I can fly just fine with the right physics model and script, but, come to think of it, it doesn't matter if you assign the mic button to capslock. In fact, I prefer not using capslock now.
Attachments
Drone_1.01.zip
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by raithe on Aug 29th '10, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...

raithe

Post Aug 31st '10, 03:21

I feel like I've accomplished something when everyone uses my map as a durability test.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Return to Projects