Hi-Res Weps, Items, and Effects Plugin

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 5th '10, 18:03

Inspired by Goran's chosen method of distribution for his texture project. I took the liberty of combining James Hastings's-Shots Fired, Visicom's Weapon Enhancement Package and Tim4i's M32redux all into a single, easy to install plugin. It seems to work perfectly. As a bonus, the plugin seems to also override the Transparent Sprites.mml issue with "Shots Fired" which also greatly simplifies things.

Does anyone object if I put this up?

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 18:15

It might be up to the admin to answer that question, but I don't mind! This sounds great!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Sep 5th '10, 18:22

I have JHT's and (IIRC) visciom's permission to create a combined high-res plugin, but I don't know if that extends to you. Better check with them, and tim4i, first.

Any reason you made this one plugin? One point of plugins was to make the individual pieces easier to install and turn on and off. If you combine them together, that sort of defeats the second part. It also makes it annoying to try to release an update for any piece: you might have to release a huge zip file just to fix a typo in one component.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 5th '10, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 5th '10, 19:01

Treellama wrote:I have JHT's and (IIRC) visciom's permission to create a combined high-res plugin, but I don't know if that extends to you. Better check with them, and tim4i, first.

Ill check on IRC and get permission then.

Any reason you made this one plugin? One point of plugins was to make the individual pieces easier to install and turn on and off. If you combine them together, that sort of defeats the second part. It also makes it annoying to try to release an update for any piece: you might have to release a huge zip file just to fix a typo in one component.

Well file size the whole thing is only 8.5mb. Beauty of having it compressed. [MSmile] I combined them because 1 file is always easier than 3 and also the three upgrades overlap in terms of intent. Visicoms upgrade delves in to the realm of what shot fired was suppose to singly upgrade, and Tim4i is meant to fill in the holes of where Visicom left off. So to me, it made sense to combine them into one. It doesn't make sense to have one without the other. It's not like I also stuck in TTEP, in which case I'd have to agree with you.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Sep 5th '10, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 19:07

herecomethej2000 wrote:It doesn't make sense to have one without the other.

I use shots fired and WEP, but not the m23 redux.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 5th '10, 19:27

Why might I ask? Its one thing to not bother, but you actively made the decision to forgo Tim4i's work. Of course, this is in your right as an end user. But it makes about as much sense as taking out the AR ammo texture from Visicom's upgrade and have that as a separate plugin. If someone objects to a single texture they can always take them out of the plugin. Its not like these are random container files, they are zip folders.

I should tell you I didn't take all texture files and stick them into a single folder. the m32redux textures are in their own folder within the plugin directory as with the other directories for the upgrades are the same within the plugin

Edit

Well tell you what, there is no reason there cant be both. A combined release and an itemized one. It works for the Freespace Upgrade Project.

Actually do you mind if I just give you the plugin Tree? Might save you a little bit of time with whatever you have in mind.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Sep 5th '10, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 19:55

herecomethej2000 wrote:Why might I ask? Its one thing to not bother, but you actively made the decision to forgo Tim4i's work. Of course, this is in your right as an end user. But it makes about as much sense as taking out the AR ammo texture from Visicom's upgrade and have that as a separate plugin.

The WEP is pretty consistent within itself, and chances are if you like some of WEP you will want to use all of it. While it looks odd to use parts of the WEP in combination with some of the original low-res weapons, there's no problem using WEP without shots fired. Bundling all the enhancements together forces someone who only wants to use WEP to also download M2/MI redux, but having them as separate downloads doesn't cause any sort of inconvenience.
Last edited by $lave on Sep 5th '10, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Sep 5th '10, 20:33

While you're at it, ask Visciom for the highres fist he created and make a plugin out of it.

goran

Post Sep 5th '10, 20:38

@slave
No I'm starting to agree, freedom has its merits. In which case I guess treellama already has something in mind.

I just cant help but ask why? I can see the diehards that like their marathon to look exactly how they remembered it back in 95. And I can see the people who want their game upgraded fully to the best their computer can handle. But this picking and choosing individual textures is just odd behavior to me. I should let the Freespace 2 Upgrade Project know that the upgraded Hercules II model sucks. I think they should make that as optional in the next mediavp release. Ah well, to each their own.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Sep 5th '10, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 20:51

I seldom know what you're talking about.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 5th '10, 20:56

Not all enhancements are created equal. I find the weapon enhancement pack deviates too far from the original sprites, so I don't use it even though I use enhanced textures. So in my case, I want the best possible graphics my computer can handle, but I don't want it to feel like a different game.

Crater Creator

Post Sep 5th '10, 21:11

Fine then, I'll just keep my wonderful little plugin all to myself.
"And this is why we can't have anything nice." [MTongue]

Who knows maybe your right, separate is better. Seeing as you already have the go ahead tree, I'll just keep out of it.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Sep 5th '10, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 22:03

You said that you had permission to release visicom's and JIT's work as a plugin. I assumed that you intended to do so. Its not like its a lot of work, took me 15 minutes to learn and put in the proper directories in the mml files. The whole point of this thread was simply to promote the idea of a single unified release which you all seem unifiedly opposed. So thats, that. If you think what I have already done, can save you a few minutes then by all means let me know.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Sep 5th '10, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Sep 5th '10, 22:44

I think we all learned a lot today.
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 5th '10, 22:52

herecomethej2000 wrote:....an itemized one. ...

Having each plugin contained in one download sounds reasonable to me assuming the description is clear about each plugin's individuality.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Sep 6th '10, 00:06

OK, whatever. It was years ago I asked permission, just so you know.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 3rd '10, 03:13

I am going to agree with Treellama on this one.
-I believe all the plugin's/MODs should be kept seperate. So that each artist/developer gets their own credit.

I can see your good intentions 'hercomethej2000' but not everybody wants the same thing.
-As I found out when I did my redux packs. Everybody has a different opinion of what is original and what should be upgraded.
By making one 'FULL' plugin you are forcing people to use the same plugins that 'YOU' have chosen to compile into said 'FULL' plugin.

I know plenty of people that like the TTEP...and nothing else. They want the original feel to Marathon.
Me personally, I wanted upgraded sprites to match the upgraded textures...thus I made the redux's to patch the holes that were significant to me.
I know lots of people don't like my redux's...but there was no plugin's out there, for what I wanted. So I made my own.

EXAMPLE:

For my m2/3 experience I use:
-High-res Landscapes by Tim Vogel
-Total Texture Enhancement Pack (TTEP) by Tim Vogel
-Weapon Enhancement Pack by Visciom
-Shots Fired by James Hastings
-m23redux by tim4i

For my m1a1 experience I use:
-HD Scenery by Visciom
-Total Texture Enhancement Pack (TTEP) by Tim Vogel
-m1redux by tim4i

Each persons gameplay is unique to them.

Leave the plugins/MODs seperate please...

If you would like make an information page with links to each plugin and and a short description of each. Go for it, as that would actually be a useful page. Possibly pictures before/after so people can see what each addin actually does. Wiki has some links but nothing fancy.

...My 2cents
"Beggars CAN be choosers, They just don't eat as often"

tim4i
Canberra, Australia

Post Nov 4th '10, 02:36

Ah forgot about this and my crazy rant,

True,

I still think it would be a good idea to re-release each update in a plugin format. It is a little easier to install, as well as the fact that plugin can be compressed in zip and still function.

(Nice idea there btw Tree)
Who knows, might be worth it.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 4th '10, 23:46

Plugins? Are they working properly now?

Well if thats the case I will read up and repack both the reduxes into plugins for easy use.
-I was going to put an update with the revised security card and alien convertor out anyway. But I will squash them all into one.
Been moving jobs etc etc so I'm abit behind in the dev dept. Our first baby is on the way also...so my office is now the baby room...and my computers have been ostracised.
Last edited by tim4i on Nov 4th '10, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

tim4i
Canberra, Australia

Post Nov 6th '10, 15:33

tim4i wrote:....
Our first baby is on the way also...so my office is now the baby room...and my computers have been ostracised.

Good times :D

Are you still using the TTEP? Check out Goran's Water, Lava, Sewage and Jjarro set on Simplici7y.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Nov 15th '10, 11:37

I have released my m1redux and m23redux as 'Plugin's for easy use with the new version of AlephOne.
Can be found on Simplici7y

http://www.simplici7y.com/

I have also repacked the other MODs as 'Plugin's by Tim Vogel, Visciom & Nardo.
I am emailing and awaiting Tim Vogel, Visciom, Nardo @ Bungie's permission regarding if they are re-releasing as Plugin's. OR if they mind if I release on Simplici7y on their behalf.

Until then...they are for my personal archives.

tim4i
Canberra, Australia

Post Nov 15th '10, 20:52

Thank-you for doing this tim! Excellent work! [MUp]

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 16th '10, 06:43

I have recieved permission from Tim Vogel to release his TTEP and High-res Landscapes.
-Will do a final pack and enclose the readme / credits he requested.
Should be out in the next week on Simplici7y (if I get time - work is crazy atm)

EDIT: I have just recieved permission from James Hastings-Trew to release shots fired aswell. Will pack that and release this weekend too.

Still waiting for a response from Visciom
Will keep you posted.

PS - Since this was the original thread. I will post all information relating to this matter here (saves me posting in 3 different threads each time).

cheers.
Last edited by tim4i on Nov 19th '10, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

tim4i
Canberra, Australia

Post Nov 19th '10, 13:02

The following MODs have been 'repackaged' into Plugin versions for the current version of AlephOne.

-High-res Landscapes v1.1 by Tim Vogel
-Shots Fired v1.1 by James Hastings-Trew (Nardo)

All availabel from http://www.simplici7y.com/

Both plugins have been released under permission from the original authors.
-Original Readme's are included in the .zip file along with the INSTRUCTIONS.

Enjoy.

tim4i
Canberra, Australia

Next

Return to Projects