AlephOne iPad Port -- Looking for icons, artwork, etc...

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 19th '11, 03:53

Hi all,

I've been working on (and nearly completed) a port of AlephOne to the iPad. The current plan is to distribute the app and Bungie content for free, with "extras" in the form of in-app purchases to help fund the effort and this community.

I'm looking for ideas and contributions for the project. Some ideas are:
  • Icons -- looking for icons for M1, Durandal, and Infinity
  • Artwork -- could bundle 10 or so images to use as between level loading screen artwork
  • Textures -- high-res textures to be distributed as a purchase, or with the application
  • Mods -- anything you can think of

Please post, or drop me a pm.

Best,
-dan
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 04:20

I'm not spectacular with photoshop, but I'm willing to try making icons if you can't find anyone better. An icon I made awhile ago, for reference:

As far as mods go I'm not really sure what you want, but if you want some sort of single player survival maps or something of the sort I wouldn't mind trying to make one or two.

$lave

Post Jan 19th '11, 04:38

$lave wrote:I'm not spectacular with photoshop, but I'm willing to try making icons if you can't find anyone better. An icon I made awhile ago, for reference:

This looks great, however (as i forgot to mention), Bungie tradmarked the Marathon logo, so can't use the circle inside the broken circle icon without their express permission. So it wil have to be something else.

As far as mods go I'm not really sure what you want, but if you want some sort of single player survival maps or something of the sort I wouldn't mind trying to make one or two.

Open to anything. A survival map would be very cool.
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 04:42

I'm pretty fucking fantastic when it comes to making mararthon icons. Just take a look at Treellama's avatar. Let me know if you need anything more like that.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 19th '11, 10:07

I've been working on (and nearly completed) a port of AlephOne to the iPad. The current plan is to distribute the app and Bungie content for free, with "extras" in the form of in-app purchases to help fund the effort and this community.

I have some questions:

What do you expect your own costs to be?
How will this community be funded?
How about the efforts of those who create the extras...will they too be funded?

goran

Post Jan 19th '11, 15:10

iGuy wrote:This looks great, however (as i forgot to mention), Bungie tradmarked the Marathon logo, so can't use the circle inside the broken circle icon without their express permission.

We use it, and we don't have express permission. I think if you're making a free Marathon game, it's OK to use the Marathon icon.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 19th '11, 17:39

Treellama wrote:We use it, and we don't have express permission. I think if you're making a free Marathon game, it's OK to use the Marathon icon.

Bungie may not mind, but without permission, I doubt if Apple would go for it. Distributing Bungie's copyrighted content without an explicit license may also be an issue. I couldn't find any press release, or statement about the M1, M2 and Infinity content -anywhere-. It seemingly just showed up on trilogyrelease.bungie.org one day.
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 17:50

goran wrote:What do you expect your own costs to be?

Plenty of expensive Belgian ale... [MSmile]

I don't exactly know... I did hire a graphic artist for the menu screens, icons, etc, so I'd need to pay him. He's also going to do a nice web site, video, etc...

How will this community be funded?
From whatever revenue the project makes, I'd like to help pay for web servers, or however I can. This is the spirit of the Wesnoth project. Kyle Pool (the iPad/iPhone dev) makes some money, he puts the rest into the community to fund more art, levels, etc. I don't know how much they make on the whole project.

How about the efforts of those who create the extras...will they too be funded?

Sure. Open for ideas here. One possibility that Treellama mentioned was to distribute a low-res version of textures for free, with hi-res textures (like the TTEP, WEP, etc) as an in-app purchase. Typical rates are 50% to the developer, 50% to the content developer. Tim Vogel gave permission to include the TTEP and asked for a 50/50 split if it is sold (see below though).

Mod for the game, or scripts, or loading screen artwork are possibilities.

Some things are a bit harder: Bungie doesn't want you to charge for levels created with Forge. Some of the TTEP images are derived from Bungie copyrighted material and would need to be free.
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 18:01

iGuy wrote:Distributing Bungie's copyrighted content without an explicit license may also be an issue. I couldn't find any press release, or statement about the M1, M2 and Infinity content -anywhere-. It seemingly just showed up on trilogyrelease.bungie.org one day.

We are still waiting to hear back from Bungie's lawyers for a real license. This may never happen. If Apple balks, you could have your apps download them from trilogyrelease when they start up. You'll need to write lots of extra code, though.

Bear in mind M1A1 is not exactly the same thing as Marathon. It was ported by Raul Bonilla and I think there are specific rights he reserves in the readme. Some day maybe we'll get native Marathon file format support working, and we can have a more authentic Marathon experience in Aleph One.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 19th '11, 18:09

Is it maps made specifically with Forge that you would not be able to charge for? If so, would maps made with Weland avoid this issue?

$lave

Post Jan 19th '11, 18:11

Treellama wrote:Bear in mind M1A1 is not exactly the same thing as Marathon. It was ported by Raul Bonilla and I think there are specific rights he reserves in the readme. Some day maybe we'll get native Marathon file format support working, and we can have a more authentic Marathon experience in Aleph One.

This reminds me, don't forget to include Treellama's M1A1 bugfix patch.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 19th '11, 18:28

I've doing a bit of iOS dev recently and I was wondering if you did a port to Objective C. Also, does your port support LUA?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Jan 19th '11, 19:20

Megabyte wrote:I was wondering if you did a port to Objective C

What

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 19th '11, 19:24

Megabyte wrote:I've doing a bit of iOS dev recently and I was wondering if you did a port to Objective C. Also, does your port support LUA?

He ported it to ObjC a couple of years ago. The code is available via some labyrinthine google summer of code site. I wish I still had it bookmarked.

edit: found it, not where I expected. [link]
Last edited by irons on Jan 19th '11, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 19th '11, 19:56

Treellama wrote:We are still waiting to hear back from Bungie's lawyers for a real license. This may never happen. If Apple balks, you could have your apps download them from trilogyrelease when they start up. You'll need to write lots of extra code, though.

I already wrote that code, it's my original idea: charge for A1, but content was freely downloaded. I'll have to check into the M1A1 content, I didn't realize it had extra rights associated.
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 19:59

Megabyte wrote:I've doing a bit of iOS dev recently and I was wondering if you did a port to Objective C. Also, does your port support LUA?

No, A1 is compiled as is (C / C++), there is an ObjectiveC wrapper for startup and all of the UI. Lua is supported, but I had a hard time with many of the lua packages, especially the GUI related code. The only lua code is to start the game inside the Marathon, not the normal M1A1 startup location.
blezek

Post Jan 19th '11, 20:18

Treellama wrote:Some day maybe we'll get native Marathon file format support working, and we can have a more authentic Marathon experience in Aleph One.

[MUp]

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 20th '11, 07:36

iGuy wrote:Sure. Open for ideas here. One possibility that Treellama mentioned was to distribute a low-res version of textures for free, with hi-res textures (like the TTEP, WEP, etc) as an in-app purchase. Typical rates are 50% to the developer, 50% to the content developer. Tim Vogel gave permission to include the TTEP and asked for a 50/50 split if it is sold (see below though).

I like this idea. I don't have an iPad, but if I did, high-res art to replace the original content is something I would seriously consider paying for.

Crater Creator

Post Jan 26th '11, 08:54

I consider Max Rudberg's icons to be the most gorgeous, so.
Enzan

Post Jan 29th '11, 04:02

Enzan wrote:I consider Max Rudberg's icons to be the most gorgeous, so.

Seconded, they are awesome indeed. [MGrin]
The best way to predict the future is to prevent it.
Selbstmord

Post Jan 29th '11, 05:12

I could definitely throw some network or survival maps your way.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Feb 10th '11, 17:57

This should be here:

ukimalefu

Post Feb 10th '11, 18:17

iGuy wrote:This looks great, however (as i forgot to mention), Bungie tradmarked the Marathon logo, so can't use the circle inside the broken circle icon without their express permission. So it wil have to be something else.

ukimalefu wrote:This should be here:
[icon]

I know it's tough to pay attention when you're jacking off over this idea, but reading isn't that hard. I hope.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 10th '11, 23:46

We could always try to get their express permission. It might be plausible.

gmanyo

Post Feb 12th '11, 19:13

I'm not an expert on trademarks, but maybe something like this would fit the bill? It's reminiscent of the Marathon symbol, but it has Apple's favorite lowercase letter at the center:

[attachment=4619:iMarathon.jpg]

That could look slick if it were given the iOS treatment like ukimalefu's.
Attachments
iMarathon.jpg
iMarathon.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Next

Return to Projects