AlephOne iPad Port -- Looking for icons, artwork, etc...

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 12th '11, 21:51

That's not a bad design. It reminds me a bit of what they did for Quake 2 and 3.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 19th '11, 21:26

something like this maybe?

[attachment=4624:alephone.png]
Attachments
alephone.png
alephone.png (99.72 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 19th '11, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 20th '11, 16:06

Oooh pretty!

ukimalefu

Post Feb 21st '11, 00:10

here are some more variants with standard Marathon logos:

The Marathon Trilogy and AlephOne is free software, and as long as you don't charge money for it I'm sure Bungie won't mind if you're using the classic logo for representation. It's not like you're stealing the Marathon logo for your own homemade game that you're selling at the AppStore.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 21st '11, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '11, 04:51

And here another variant with different gloss:

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '11, 12:15

Guys, iOS does the rounded corners and the gloss for you. Icons should be square and not glossy.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 21st '11, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 21st '11, 16:36

Haha what a bummer, I'm not an iPad/iOS user/dev so I wasn't aware of that.

But that would also limit you to the standard edge design which kinda sucks imo.

Well, I can make the icons square of course and if iGuy wants them I'll have another look - cheers.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 21st '11, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '11, 17:00

Well, you can choose whether to apply gloss or not on the device. But, in the interest of consistency, it's probably better to let it apply it for you. Icons on the device are automatically given rounded corners for you, but icons in iTunes are 512x512 and square, and not glossy, by convention.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 21st '11, 18:28

thedoctor45 wrote:And here another variant with different gloss:

Hi,

Here's the link to Bungie's trademark: Marathon icon trademark

Though they don't explicitly mention multiple lines, they are, after all, Bungie. I'd hate to torque them off. Our icon uses the 'aleph' symbol from the Hebrew language. It ends up looking fairly snazzy, but not as great as the Marathon symbol. Haven't been brave enough to ask Bungie for permission to use their trademark...
blezek

Post Feb 21st '11, 19:18

iGuy wrote:Hi,

Here's the link to Bungie's trademark: Marathon icon trademark

Though they don't explicitly mention multiple lines, they are, after all, Bungie. I'd hate to torque them off. Our icon uses the 'aleph' symbol from the Hebrew language. It ends up looking fairly snazzy, but not as great as the Marathon symbol. Haven't been brave enough to ask Bungie for permission to use their trademark...

The link you posted seems to have expired - so you're saying you already have an icon for the game? - or do you want me to remake the above icons with the hebrew Aleph symbol?

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '11, 19:52

iGuy wrote:Our icon uses the 'aleph' symbol from the Hebrew language. It ends up looking fairly snazzy, but not as great as the Marathon symbol.

Ugh, do you really need to remind people about the gimmicky name of the engine. Well, you can be the one to explain to all the iPad users what it means!

I'm not ready to substantiate it yet, but I think you could do a lot better than a math joke symbol.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 21st '11, 22:45

thedoctor45 wrote:The link you posted seems to have expired - so you're saying you already have an icon for the game? - or do you want me to remake the above icons with the hebrew Aleph symbol?

He said earlier in the thread that he had hired a graphic artist to make icons, a website etc. for this. I was wondering why people kept posting their icons, I guess you missed that.

$lave

Post Feb 21st '11, 23:20

iGuy wrote:I'm looking for ideas and contributions for the project. Some ideas are:[list]
[*]Icons -- looking for icons for M1, Durandal, and Infinity

$lave wrote:He said earlier in the thread that he had hired a graphic artist to make icons, a website etc. for this. I was wondering why people kept posting their icons, I guess you missed that.

In his first post he was asking for ideas, though, and I'm sure even though he has hired someone, our ideas may still be useful.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Feb 22nd '11, 04:09

brilliant wrote:In his first post he was asking for ideas, though, and I'm sure even though he has hired someone, our ideas may still be useful.

Aside from hopper's post no one really gave any ideas though, just the marathon logo made to look like a normal ipad app.

$lave

Post Feb 22nd '11, 06:12

$lave wrote:Aside from hopper's post no one really gave any ideas though, just the marathon logo made to look like a normal ipad app.

Isn't that a little harsh for a résumé? I mean even if the proposals we had were not really innovative you still have to account for people's willingness to assist the project.

Besides, even if it is of no use to the project itself, this artwork could still be used for future Marathon related content or personal customization.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 22nd '11, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 22nd '11, 07:29

To my eyes, the glow and the gloss don't go well together in the same image. I wouldn't use both at once.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 22nd '11, 14:58

hey guys when do you want my title screen
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 22nd '11, 21:39

irons wrote:hey guys when do you want my title screen

Oh god.

TectonInd

Post Feb 22nd '11, 21:56

thedoctor45 wrote:Isn't that a little harsh for a résumé? I mean even if the proposals we had were not really innovative you still have to account for people's willingness to assist the project.

Besides, even if it is of no use to the project itself, this artwork could still be used for future Marathon related content or personal customization.

I apologize if people took my comment the wrong way. I'm by no means trying to discourage people from posting their own ideas for icons, if iGuy wanted people to stop posting icons I'm sure he would say so. I was just pointing out that it seemed like he had the icon under control, and if anyone was actually expecting their icon to be used they would most likely be mistaken.

$lave

Post Feb 28th '11, 19:28

thedoctor45 wrote:The link you posted seems to have expired - so you're saying you already have an icon for the game? - or do you want me to remake the above icons with the hebrew Aleph symbol?

I'll dig up the icons tonight and post them here, so people can get an idea of what they look like. If people don't like them, I can always release an update with new art!

Here's the info from the US Patent and Trademark Office:

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Interactive game software. FIRST USE: 19950101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950101
Mark Drawing Code (2) DESIGN ONLY
Design Search Code 26.01.02 - Circles, plain single line; Plain single line circles
26.01.12 - Circles with bars, bands and lines
26.01.20 - Circles within a circle
26.01.21 - Circles that are totally or partially shaded.
Trademark Search Facility Classification Code SHAPES-CIRCLE Circle figures or designs including semi-circles and incomplete circles
SHAPES-MISC Miscellaneous shaped designs
Serial Number 77950856
Filing Date March 4, 2010
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition July 27, 2010
Registration Number 3860425
Registration Date October 12, 2010
Owner (REGISTRANT) Bungie, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 434 Kirkland Way Kirkland WASHINGTON 98033

(LAST LISTED OWNER) BUNGIE, INC. DBA BUNGIE CORPORATION DELAWARE 550 106TH AVENUE N.E. SUITE 207 BELLEVUE WASHINGTON 980045088
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Jim Charne
Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of a circle with a single vertical leg coming from its bottom set inside a larger circle.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
blezek

Post Feb 28th '11, 19:30

Treellama wrote:Ugh, do you really need to remind people about the gimmicky name of the engine. Well, you can be the one to explain to all the iPad users what it means!

I'm not ready to substantiate it yet, but I think you could do a lot better than a math joke symbol.

You are right, but the math side of it appeals to my inner geek! People already know that AlephOne is the port of Marathon, at least those that care. And yes, I'm sure there will be some confusion...

It's not too late to change the name of the app, etc. If anyone has suggestions.
blezek

Post Feb 28th '11, 19:51

Are the characters themselves trademarked? A M.A.D.D. or the image of the Marathon itself might make a nice Marathon icon. Have you sorted out the M1A1 permission issues?

For Marathon 2, maybe a defender, and Infinity, a vacbob? SMG? I don't know.

What are your plans for the app names? "Marathon" itself is also trademarked, but how can you release an app that doesn't have that in the name?

By the way, you may want a way, some day, to distinguish between M1A1 and true Marathon.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 28th '11, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 28th '11, 19:59

Treellama wrote:What are your plans for the app names? "Marathon" itself is also trademarked, but how can you release an app that doesn't have that in the name?

What about iDurandal, for Marathon 2? Maybe the infinity symbol itself for Marathon Infinity? :D
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Feb 28th '11, 20:06

iInfinity
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Feb 28th '11, 20:37

Treellama wrote:What are your plans for the app names? "Marathon" itself is also trademarked, but how can you release an app that doesn't have that in the name?

Imagine you would release a program called 'Aleph One'. Nobody would know it had something to do with marathon.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

PreviousNext

Return to Projects