Marathon: Aeon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Aug 23rd '10, 18:42

Unfortunately, earlier this season I was inspired by the release of Phoenix and was compelled, per-say, to make my own scenario. Since I'm only doing the levels, shapes and physics, there is only a very flimsy plot, since I haven't put the terminals in yet. I've made an introductory level, an intermediate level, and a full solo level so far. I've only made one new enemy, after a lot of physics toying. I don't intend to make this scenario particularly difficult or- perhaps more by lack of ability than design- fun.

The new shapes file is pretty big and bordering on superfluous. It contains: all the Infinity shapes, some shapes from the Orphanage (Evil, Rubicon, Killing Time), many M2 shapes, some from the long-defunct scenario Arx Immanis, one from X-mas Icecave that I don't think I've used yet (it's that Jjaro control panel thing), a fleeting few from Red, one from Blood of Bin Laden that I plan to use soon (but since it doesn't tile, I doubt I will), and one from Fishman92. Among new color tables.

Please note that this is just an advertisement of the scenario- I'm not asking for help. Yet. :)

00. Our Lives A Mimicry

The introductory level. After you were cut off by a Pfhor advance battalion, you are trapped in a semi-demolished human base. There are enemies here, but they shouldn't be too much of a problem. You can explore (there's plenty to find), but you can just leave at the first terminal (when I put it in :)).

@$lave: I swear I'll do the re-texture soon. :)

Note the Agent Orange sky. Since I've been having problems with Shapefusion and Landscapes, solid color pieces seemed fine enough for me :]

01. Apoptosis

The intermediate level, where the marine is thrust back behind friendly lines. But you're still being followed by the advance battalion. Just run inside and teleport out. Note that the Trooper in red is actually a new enemy, called the Heavy Trooper. He's basically a normal Trooper, except he can interchange between bullets (more accurate now) and grenades (the type the marine fires) at any distance, and he fires more viciously, and has a little more health.

02. Founder Effect

The first full solo level, where the player storms a Pfhor command base. He has to kill everything, open the hangar doors and relieve a commando squadron trapped inside the complex.

This is the room where you relive the commando group.

This is the start of the level.

There's a second full solo level on the way.
If you have comments or critique, please do not hesitate to post. And if you want to alpha-test, all the better. [MLaugh]
Last edited by Dugit on Aug 14th '12, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 23rd '10, 20:06

Awesome Screenshots

I would totally play it when it comes out

(because i have nothing else to do)
Last edited by TBCR on Aug 23rd '10, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:57 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - WR
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 15:42 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB

TBCR
Raleigh,NC

Post Aug 23rd '10, 22:40

Cool.

How many levels do you intend to do?

goran

Post Aug 23rd '10, 23:57

Dugit wrote:a Pfhor advance troupe

[attachment=4149:troupe.jpg]
Attachments
troupe.jpg
troupe.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 24th '10, 00:03

Intimidating, certainly.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Aug 24th '10, 07:48

G.S.10 wrote:How many levels do you intend to do?

I haven't adhered to a specific number yet, but I'm aiming for around 10 in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 24th '10, 07:49

irons wrote:Pfhor advance troupe

Bloops. Fixed. [MWuh]

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 24th '10, 08:18

irons wrote:
Dugit wrote:a Pfhor advance troupe

F'n LOL

Ares Ex Machina

Post Sep 6th '10, 12:46

OK, I've been having some problems with my second solo level.

1- This problem is denoted by the blue circle. For some reason, when moving west, It's impossible to move through the circled line (I've checked- it's not the platform that causes the problem, it remains when the platform is removed). The problem doesn't appear moving east.

2- This problem is denoted by the green circle, and it's the same thing as 1, except it doesn't let me through going east, but it does going west (again I've checked, it's not the platform). For some reason, the glitch only appears when both of the texture faces (denoted by the green arrows) are textured. When left untextured, the glitch doesn't appear.

3- When strafe-running into either of these places, I suddenly appear outside the ledge. The floor of the 1/4WU x 3WU ledge is set at 1/4WU up from the floor and the ceiling is set at 1/4WU down from the ceiling. Both sides of the ledge are solid/transparent.

Please help- these are some weird and harrowing glitches. :(

Should I upload the map?

The map has 1128 polygons, 21 lights (the original 21) and only one object- the player.
Attachments
Picture_3.png
Picture_3.png (80.67 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
Last edited by Dugit on Sep 6th '10, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 6th '10, 14:50

Try this, and if it doesn't work, upload the map.
Attachments
post_21293_1283776600_thumb.png
post_21293_1283776600_thumb.png (319.7 KiB) Viewed 7793 times

goran

Post Sep 6th '10, 15:29

Thanks. It works perfectly now. I promise to get some more screenshots up by wednesday... if anyone cares... :)

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 6th '10, 15:48

Dugit wrote:Thanks. It works perfectly now. I promise to get some more screenshots up by wednesday... if anyone cares... :)

I'm looking forward to it.

goran

Post Sep 6th '10, 16:35

So was the issue that the lines were too squared?
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Sep 6th '10, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 6th '10, 18:39

Okay that's what I thought. It's what I meant by too squared. Thank ye.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 6th '10, 20:28

03 Eternal Lucid Dream

This level is based at the mountain-top Pfhor garrison command of the planet Aestia (that's what I've called the planet for the game).

As you can see, I'm still in texturing mode, by quite some margin. Note the sheer drop to the left, and the second use of block color :)

I've tried my very best to make sure it's impossible to get out of the complex, but there's bound to be some way of getting out- that's why this level needs alphatesting.

This is the grand promenade. As you can see, I'm trying to break away from the mish-mash contrast in color of Founder Effect and am trying to move to blander, more pleasant surroundings to match the landscape.

EDIT:
Dugit wrote:I've tried my very best to make sure it's impossible to get out of the complex [...]

Note that there is a semi-secret area in which photo 1 is taken. I made a little more level just for a screenshot. :)
Last edited by Dugit on Sep 6th '10, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 6th '10, 20:43

Is it me, or does that texturing look really garish?
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 6th '10, 21:38

This looks to be an interesting level. Is it your first attempt at serious solo mapmaking?

goran

Post Sep 6th '10, 21:40

WastdJamacan wrote:Is it me, or does that texturing look really garish?

The rock textures do bother me a lot. There's just too many of them.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 7th '10, 08:34

G.S.10 wrote:This looks to be an interesting level. Is it your first attempt at serious solo mapmaking?

Yes. Well, I did make an awful solo map a year ago using Pfhorge- trust me, it's not worth playing.

RyokoTK wrote:The rock textures do bother me a lot. There's just too many of them.

There have been at least four complaints about this. I will certainly be retexturing all of the levels (especially Our Lives and this one) to make them less... painful.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 7th '10, 09:52

Dugit wrote:There have been at least four complaints about this. I will certainly be retexturing all of the levels (especially Our Lives and this one) to make them less... painful.

Actually, I think they're kind of cool. The rocks might be a bit much, but that hallway was interesting, not necessarily because it's great, but because it seems a bit more original than much of the texturing considered good out there..
Last edited by gmanyo on Sep 7th '10, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Sep 23rd '10, 19:00

Eternal Lucid Dream is now 'finished', bar alpha-testing. If anybody wants to alpha-test, please PM me or just post below.

The monsters on Eternal Lucid Dream (only) now have different color tables- now orientated around gray, to fit the landscape, instead of the old blue/turquoise. There is a 'boss' on this level, the local Pfhor Lieu-Admiral Pfhan Pfhar Pa'shek.

Screenshots coming soon.

gmanyo wrote:Actually, I think they're kind of cool. The rocks might be a bit much, but that hallway was interesting, not necessarily because it's great, but because it seems a bit more original than much of the texturing considered good out there..

Hey, thanks :). The differing rocks on this level are actually part of the plot (since the Pfhor here are looking for the now scare mineral Pitchblende for their uranium, and are willing to pulp any rocks they come into contact with. As the mine grew into the mountain, a base grew behind it. This is it.), but I will definitely be retexturing Our Lives and Founder Effect.

Edit: Sorry (to all those who care) about the lack of updates; I will definitely try to get at least one more full solo level done before Christmas. I'm calling the next level 'Pfherrous Oxide' :).
Last edited by Dugit on Sep 23rd '10, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 23rd '10, 20:39

If you're not full already, I'd be happy to beta test this level for you.

goran

Post Sep 24th '10, 06:11

Thanks! I'll be sending it to you later today. [MUp]

I need as much help as possible getting the boss to work. I haven't tested it on TC, so please tell me if he needs to be toned down/up. And anything else, really.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 24th '10, 07:30

You have my gun.

Ares Ex Machina

Next

Return to Projects