Physics- why not?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Apr 19th '11, 17:56

AttilaGeek wrote:They detonate if you shoot it at a wall, but against a player they will only intermittently do damage. Do you want me to PM it to you to show you?

It would probably do more good to send them to somebody who's not going to be playing Portal 2 tonight.

I was just trying to rule out obvious stuff. If a physics expert can't help you, we can look in source code. But, I'll wait for one to answer you first.
Last edited by treellama on Apr 19th '11, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 19th '11, 18:06

Treellama wrote:It would probably do more good to send them to somebody who's not going to be playing Portal 2 tonight.

Okay. That makes sense.That game is awesome.
AttilaGeek

Post Apr 22nd '11, 06:58

What settings do you have on the fusion bolts? And what velocity settings?
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Apr 30th '11, 02:00

Grayswandir wrote:What settings do you have on the fusion bolts? And what velocity settings?

Note: this is all done in Forge 1.0.3.

The value before the slash is the regular bolt, and the number after is for the overload bolt. the problem applies to both, as far as I can tell.

Graphic collection: 16/4
Color table: 0/0
Sequence ID: 4/12

Damage type: compiler bolt/fusion bolt
Damage base: 30/90
damage random: 0/30
scale: 0/0

Flyby sound: fusion flyby/fusion flyby
rebound sound: none/none
Sound pitch: 1/1.125
Radius: 51
Area of Effect: 128
Speed: 512
Maximum Range: -1/-1

Detonation Effect: S'pht bolt impact/plasma overload impact
Media detonation effect: small splash/medium splash
Contrail effect: none/Plasma overload impact
ticks between contrails: 0/0
Maximum contrails: 0/2 (this makes an opaque, visible flash when it goes off)

(regular bolt) Flags: usually pass transparent side
(major bolt) Flags: Can toggle control panels

As far as I can tell, none of this is causing a big problem. Does anyone know what I should do?
AttilaGeek

Post Sep 28th '11, 03:20

I like to make Phy models to switch up the game play, i also have made a half-joke but actually awesome (needs some tweeks because my fully fixed version got deleted) phy where i replace the weapons with some weapons from other scenarios and some nerf and airsoft guns. and those tghat have tried all of my tweeks love them! but i get the one or two who won't even try them. I don't get it. seems very close-minded to me and makes me think less of the marathon community. [spnkr]
an intergalactic keger!
UseTheForkesLuke

Post Sep 28th '11, 15:28

UseTheForkesLuke wrote:but i get the one or two who won't even try them. I don't get it. seems very close-minded to me and makes me think less of the marathon community. [spnkr]

It's not closed minded at all. Some people play because they enjoy the competitive nature of Marathon. They invest a lot of time in learning to use the weapons that come with the game. So, it's natural that they don't want to waste time playing gimmick physics that you tested for maybe an hour (more likely just a game or two), that are (intentionally or unintentionally) designed to give players who haven't learned to play a chance of winning through dumb luck.

It sounds like you're right, though: you don't get it.

You'll just have to earn their respect the hard way: learn to play at their level.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 28th '11, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 29th '11, 17:13

Treellama wrote:It's not closed minded at all. Some people play because they enjoy the competitive nature of Marathon. They invest a lot of time in learning to use the weapons that come with the game. So, it's natural that they don't want to waste time playing gimmick physics that you tested for maybe an hour (more likely just a game or two), that are (intentionally or unintentionally) designed to give players who haven't learned to play a chance of winning through dumb luck.

It sounds like you're right, though: you don't get it.

You'll just have to earn their respect the hard way: learn to play at their level.

[MUp]

Ares Ex Machina

Post Sep 29th '11, 20:44

I like Physics Models, but prank/ LOLWUT physics are everywhere, they are good for spicing up a late night round of M-Thonning whith your friends, but that novely wears off (sometimes). I used to host matches using a custom "Ehh14.phyA" model of my own design. It was my 13th revision of a LOLWUT physics model, and everyone that didn't hate it as soon as they saw it really wanted me to keep playing it. But that was BEFORE physics jokes were so common, and now they are very old hat. On the other hand, a pack of Physics models with different more subtle fun alterations that includes a LOLWUT model is not such a bad idea. But that doesn't happen.

PS: Can "LOLWUT Physics" be a term in our lingo? I find it to sum up the weird and horrendous physics models very well.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Previous

Return to Projects