Marathon: The Gray Incident

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Oct 1st '06, 06:34

I personally didn't like the feel of the game, I know that it should have gone perfect with me, but It just lacked a certain quility (I can't explain it, it just seems to apear in good TCs) that is essential to my enjoyment of a TC. I will Say you did a good job with the the weapons and flow.
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Oct 2nd '06, 19:49

From the amount of it that I've played (around 4 levels) it is a very nice scenario. It is pretty difficult, which is nice. It isn't a huge mass of mazes where if you miss one hidden switch, you're lost for hours. It is rather nice looking, the architecture is amazing. I was personally slightly dissapointed with some of the graphics. Very minor issue. TGI is quite enjoyable to play. It isn't so hard that it's impossible, but yet it can be difficult. There are also quite a bit of save points, which, in my opinion, is a must. There is almost nothing more annoying than going through most of the level, never finding a save point, and then dying on some stupid random projectile, and having to start over. That hasn't happened for me yet. I rate it a 9/10.
Mordekai

Post Oct 3rd '06, 02:22

total carnage in tgi is sick! [MGrin]

8/10
LOL

oteito
somewhere in the heavens

Post Oct 6th '06, 16:15

Damn it, why am i always the last one to notice good stuff like this.
Very nicley done, as far as i have gotten in to it, its all good.
Yowza
witty response

Post Oct 7th '06, 02:16

My Computer is getting awfully full.

So...

Before I download this scenario, this isn't like Portal of Sigma where ALL the enemies teleport in front of you just for you to murder them all in a single sustained burst is it?

I mean, Portal of Sigma was pretty but it was by very definition MINDLESS. Fun, but MINDLESS.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 7th '06, 04:34

My Computer is getting awfully full.

So...

Before I download this scenario, this isn't like Portal of Sigma where ALL the enemies teleport in front of you just for you to murder them all in a single sustained burst is it?

I mean, Portal of Sigma was pretty but it was by very definition MINDLESS. Fun, but MINDLESS.

Maybe right, maybe wrong.

Holy shit Ryoko, you made TGI GREAT!

I swear I'm shocked at some point of the game...shocked by your creation...

/me is on level 15, "Sonic Firestorm"

assassingao

Post Oct 7th '06, 17:42

With that said I'll have it downloaded by tonight.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 8th '06, 02:49

I finished TGI, let's say I'm satisfied with it...

I had a good time...

assassingao

Post Oct 8th '06, 03:20

I've started it, its great and all.

But I've got to address a problem I have encountered in almost EVERY 3rd party scenario.
The "Teleports in" checkbox is used in some places that dont make any sense.

I dont know anything for fact but I'm pretty sure the Pfhor have they're forces STATIONED in critical areas.
Like a bridge, or control center, it doesn't make any god darn sense that the crew members TELEPORT into they're stations just so they can get slaughtered.

I mean, its like Marathon 2. The teleporting doesn't make any sense. The enemy isn't there until you enter a room, if you weren't there it'd just be an empty building.

Sometimes its just not errr.... "realistic?" to have most of the enemies teleport in.

GARRISONS are supposed to have enemies stationed in defensive positions. Not ALL defenders, if any, should teleport in. Otherwise the base would be just an empty building until the enemy shows up.

Gameplay is still fun but its kind of stupid for all the enemies and freindlies to teleport in all at the same time just so they can murder each other then teleport away.

If I'm wrong then interstellar warfare has got to be the stupidest style of fighting ever.
Commanders teleport they're invading force in.
Defenders ALSO teleport in the SAME EXACT place.
Then the two forces MURDER each other, then whoever is left simply teleports away?

Its stupid.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 8th '06, 03:29

Well, interstellar combat means that everybody can relaxes until somebody needs assistance, they can teleport to that position.

When they're done, they teleports away. It's not like you want to be stuck on a ship/planet for the rest of your life.

assassingao

Post Oct 8th '06, 04:34

MoppyPuppy wrote:I've started it, its great and all.

But I've got to address a problem I have encountered in almost EVERY 3rd party scenario.
The "Teleports in" checkbox is used in some places that dont make any sense.

I dont know anything for fact but I'm pretty sure the Pfhor have they're forces STATIONED in critical areas.
Like a bridge, or control center, it doesn't make any god darn sense that the crew members TELEPORT into they're stations just so they can get slaughtered.

I mean, its like Marathon 2. The teleporting doesn't make any sense. The enemy isn't there until you enter a room, if you weren't there it'd just be an empty building.

Sometimes its just not errr.... "realistic?" to have most of the enemies teleport in.

GARRISONS are supposed to have enemies stationed in defensive positions. Not ALL defenders, if any, should teleport in. Otherwise the base would be just an empty building until the enemy shows up.

Gameplay is still fun but its kind of stupid for all the enemies and freindlies to teleport in all at the same time just so they can murder each other then teleport away.

If I'm wrong then interstellar warfare has got to be the stupidest style of fighting ever.
Commanders teleport they're invading force in.
Defenders ALSO teleport in the SAME EXACT place.
Then the two forces MURDER each other, then whoever is left simply teleports away?

Its stupid.

Real life is just like that, but instead of teleporting, they just leave. Plus, it's so much faster to teleport forces where you want them to go, rather than having them walk or run to the trouble area. You got this technology, so why not use it as much as possible?
Godot

Post Oct 8th '06, 05:51

Your not listening to me.

Assasinago speaks of troops needing assistance, but in all these situations they're are no troops in the field needing assistance.

Nobody is actually IN a garrison, there all somewhere else waiting until someone comes to murder them.

If theres a super huge computer core that needs running, APPARENTLY, no one actually runs it. There are no Pfhor in Pfhor ships, they just teleport inside it when needed from pfhor prime or so.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 8th '06, 07:13

Maybe they're busy elsewhere during the attack. Who knows. What I do know is that this is a game. Who gives a damn? Hey, you could make your own game... oh wait, you failed at that. Hey, you could send a plot to a game company... oh, again, failure. While we're at it, let's complain about how Mario jumps unrealistically high.

Please, shut up.
Last edited by Godot on Oct 8th '06, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Godot

Post Oct 8th '06, 07:28

Godot wrote:While we're at it, let's complain about how Mario jumps unrealistically high.

hey, that dude ate mushrooms..

btw, I'd beam in timer based explosives or ABC weaponry, but there seems to be a general agreement in every scifi universe not to do this. Pherhaps a moral thing..
or hey, when the enemy teleports the troops in, you beam 'em out again...see ya starside
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Oct 8th '06, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Oct 8th '06, 08:05

Assasinago speaks of troops needing assistance, but in all these situations they're are no troops in the field needing assistance.

Need assistance as in; need help.

Maybe they're busy elsewhere during the attack. Who knows. What I do know is that this is a game. Who gives a damn? Hey, you could make your own game... oh wait, you failed at that. Hey, you could send a plot to a game company... oh, again, failure.

Touché.

Anyway, it's just a game, just a TC, not some kind of "Alien attack-simulator".
Nothing need to be realistic and it's still fun.

"Stick with reality"(as somebody else said)...uh...TGI isn't some kind of Galaxy War IV, ya know? No need to get in details.
Last edited by assassingao on Oct 8th '06, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

assassingao

Post Oct 8th '06, 13:29

Well EXCUSE me.

It just bothers me that Pfhor installations are seemingly empty until you get inside them.

The only scenario I can recall at this moment that actually got the concept of "some of the enemies were here before you showed up." is Marathon RED.
Last edited by MoppyPuppy on Oct 8th '06, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 8th '06, 16:48

Moppy, don't act like you knew everything, because you certainly don't.

Hell, maybe pfhor installation is controlled by computer or some kind of A.I.

And plus, teleportation is a nice way to surprise someone.

assassingao

Post Oct 8th '06, 18:53

You know what?

Nevermind... god this place is thick.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Oct 9th '06, 00:53

I don't think you understand the point. In an era when troops can instantly be summoned from one place to another, why would you make them stand at full attention all day? Certainly automation has reached an extremely advanced point some 800+ years in the future; it would be perfectly plausible for scanning systems to alert squadrons of units from a central structure to be deployed.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 9th '06, 02:02

I'd still stand at attention. Better than having my molecules scattered half way across the Universe.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 9th '06, 05:11

Uhh...you knew what it felt like to be transported?

Maybe the same feeling that s'pht got hit or when you got an invincibility chip?

assassingao

Post Oct 9th '06, 20:44

The TGI page is updated; now it has a walkthrough, complete with a bestiary, weapon listing, and map images, as well as detailed instructions for completing the levels.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 17th '06, 22:00

Absolutely amazing scenario. Hard as hell in some spots...some of the jumps do require lots of thinking...and you WILL get your a$$ handed to you (level 17, for example).The new pf'hor remind me of a nest of ground wasps (the black ones) I encountered. Didn't know what to make of 'em until I got stung twice-new weapons are good, but those new Hunters are very hard to beat ( I won't tell you where you find them)
I give it a B+
If you like pain, you'll like this one

Coffee
john_brine

Post Nov 17th '06, 22:07

I think this is an excellent combination of speed, balance, a good story and plenty of new stuff (weapons/monsters). I give it: 9/10.

Lugas

Post Nov 17th '06, 22:43

I give it a B+

What makes it not an A?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Projects