Looking for feedback

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Looking for feedback

Post Sep 14th '17, 00:28

I'm making a total conversion of Marathon. I've never mapped anything but I love to draw so I assume it will be easy. I'm looking to try and make it over the course of a month or so, which should be no problem because I already have all the chapter screens!

lol just kidding. can you even imagine?

But now that I have your attention, I'm just fiddling with a little level in my spare time and I'm looking for feedback. It's not really part of any project, but I'm kind of approaching it as if it was an atmospheric/expository introduction to a mini-scenario or something. Mostly it's just an excuse to kill time and de-rust my mapmaking abilities, as I haven't made a map in probably 8 or 9 years or so. I have no explicit goal of making a scenario, but I might make more maps in the series if I feel inspired.

What I do have:

About 2/3 of a map.

Drafts of terminal texts (merged for your convenience).

A probably unhealthy obsession with Ne Cede Malis and Acme Station, and a desire to elaborate on Jjaro architecture (seriously, some spaces in here blur the lines between homage and copying).

What I don't have:

Terminal images (mostly).

A gameplay-focused perspective (I'm one of those dinks who's more into the atmosphere and exploration than the gunplay).

Any polish for the most part. Some textures may be missing/misaligned, and there's probably a decent amount of glitches.

Basically, I'm looking for feedback on the architecture, atmosphere, and feel of the level, as well as any map and aesthetic design tips y'all have for me. If you want to critique the writing that's cool too, although be warned there isn't much to speak of. Hope you enjoy! Screenshots below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 7.22.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 7.22.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 7.21.47 PM.png

Red Jumpsuit.sceA.zip
(197.59 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
baudrillardboy

Post Sep 14th '17, 00:53

baudrillardboy wrote:I'm making a total conversion of Marathon. I've never mapped anything but I love to draw so I assume it will be easy. I'm looking to try and make it over the course of a month or so, which should be no problem because I already have all the chapter screens!

Yeah, it really is that easy. I can provide you with a couple hundred maps if you...

baudrillardboy wrote:lol just kidding.

Oh.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 14th '17, 01:13

Wrkncacnter wrote:Yeah, it really is that easy. I can provide you with a couple hundred maps if you...

;)
baudrillardboy

Return to Mapping