hopper says I need to post this

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
quartz
Cyborg

thermoplyae wrote:it'd fit easily enough into a netmap, but you'd be sacrificing half of a solo map to do it.
errr... you mean the opposite, right? or else I'm even more confused.

also, the cage thing itself is only using 20-something of those polys, the rest is for all the area around it, which you'd need anyway. I know the aleph community makes a point to be forgiving to older hardware, but even bungie's maps were in the mid hundreds.
goran
Vidmaster

quartz wrote:not sure what you mean here. there's nothing preventing this from being a net map. the only issue is classic vs shader but that applies either way.
My interest lies predominantly in solo mapping. I never meant to imply that it couldn't be used in net maps.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

quartz wrote:errr... you mean the opposite, right? or else I'm even more confused.

also, the cage thing itself is only using 20-something of those polys, the rest is for all the area around it, which you'd need anyway. I know the aleph community makes a point to be forgiving to older hardware, but even bungie's maps were in the mid hundreds.
But what he was trying to say (in support of goran's earlier post) is that it's viable because it's only 20-something polygons instead of 500.

In other words, you could have it be a normal part of the level as opposed to an instance where it's obviously a gimmick that the entire level is designed around like that one guy's Lua elevator.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

quartz wrote:errr... you mean the opposite, right? or else I'm even more confused.

To explain more simply, you might run out of polygons in a normal level. You wouldn't have much of a level past that one trick if it were 500 polygons, especially if you did something like that twice, because you wouldn't have enough polys left for a decently sized single player level.

EDIT
At least, I think that's what he was getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Last edited by gmanyo on Aug 19th '11, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Chocolateer
Born on Board

goran wrote:Outside a spacestation.
quartz wrote:that was my original vision, but I ended up going with the daytime landscape only because it's really hard to see untextured void parts against a predominantly black image. texturing was so painful I didn't want to go back and change it afterwards. in hindsight I could've used mml to swap out the landscape during construction.
If you had paved the level first then it wouldn't have been an issue. You still can write a lua script that iterates through all sides and poly floors/ceilings to change all instances of the daytime landscape to the space one, and then save the map.
Except the inevitable
quartz
Cyborg

Chocolateer wrote:If you had paved the level first then it wouldn't have been an issue.
fair is fair, and since I never bothered to look at your luavator I don't expect you to look at my cage thing. the map relies heavily on untextured walls for the trick to work. paving first and removing textures afterwards would've been way more effort.
Last edited by quartz on Aug 20th '11, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

In Forge, you could simply go to the level parameters and change Lh'owon daytime to Space, and it would change every surface that was assigned the landscape texture. The same technique didn't work in Weland when I tried it though, so I guess your options are to use Forge or lua.
quartz
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:I missed that somehow. Why can't you use the metaserver?
also, there's that whole ring/star thing going on with all our machines.
treellama
Vidmaster

quartz wrote:also, there's that whole ring/star thing going on with all our machines.
What ring/star thing?
quartz
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:What ring/star thing?
the "star networking protocol doesn't work on any of the six machines and we have to use ring if we want a game that doesn't lurch or die in 10 minutes" thing.
Last edited by quartz on Aug 26th '11, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

quartz wrote:the "star networking protocol doesn't work on any of the six machines and we have to use ring if we want a game that doesn't lurch or die in 10 minutes" thing.
Thought that was fixed?
quartz
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Thought that was fixed?
we never came up with anything conclusive. you were running out of ideas and your last suggestion was to edit my prefs and disable the bandwidth reduction feature. I don't think I got around to testing that, it was right around the time my friend and I finished m2 and he hasn't wanted to play since.
treellama
Vidmaster

I found causes for both the momentary pause and the co-op freeze after level change/resume from save problems, and fixed them in 0.23.3 and 1.0 beta 4.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 27th '11, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
quartz
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:I found causes for both the momentary pause and the co-op freeze after level change/resume from save problems, and fixed them in 0.23.3 and 1.0 beta 4.
did you finally find it? I remember you found the lag/jitter bug, but that didn't solve all of it on our end. I can't remember if we we're still playing m2 when b4 came out, I don't think so.