can I merge external resources into a map?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Aug 14th '11, 09:23

I know I can merge in physics/mml/lua, but what about replacement textures and sounds and stuff? is there a way to put that all in one package these days or do I have to go the map+plugin route?

(and yes, I'm asking here because I'm far too lazy to download several dozen maps in the hopes that one of them does this)

quartz

Post Aug 14th '11, 09:44

quartz wrote:I know I can merge in physics/mml/lua, but what about replacement textures and sounds and stuff? is there a way to put that all in one package these days or do I have to go the map+plugin route?

(and yes, I'm asking here because I'm far too lazy to download several dozen maps in the hopes that one of them does this)

You can merge shapes patches (for 'replacement textures'), but not sounds. Have a look at the Atque Manual.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 14th '11, 10:04

Dugit wrote:You can merge shapes patches (for 'replacement textures'), but not sounds. Have a look at the Atque Manual.

I have looked at that, but I've largely stopped expecting aleph documentation to be comprehensive or up to date (see my previous threads re: "why doesn't this feature work like it says it's supposed to?")

the manual doesn't really say either way if mml-referenced resources can be included or not. it mentions an anvil shape patch, but that's far too limited to really be useful for anything past shell sequence/frame information. there's also the "snd resource" which may or may not have been expanded upon.
Last edited by quartz on Aug 14th '11, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 14th '11, 10:34

quartz wrote:the manual doesn't really say either way if mml-referenced resources can be included or not.

The manual doesn't state mml-referenced resources since Atque isn't needed for their inclusion. Just have a look at the Eternal X 'Scripts' and 'Eternal_Data' folder.

quartz wrote:it mentions an anvil shape patch, but that's far too limited to really be useful for anything past shell sequence/frame information. there's also the "snd resource" which may or may not have been expanded upon.

The 'SND' resource is the sound played when a chapter screen/final screen appears.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 14th '11, 11:48

quartz wrote:I know I can merge in physics/mml/lua, but what about replacement textures and sounds and stuff?

Hi-res replacement textures are generally too large to transmit in a net game. I suppose they could be included the way terminal PICTs are, so they're not transmitted, but the last thing I want to do is further confuse the current crop of net map authors. Sounds patches would be an interesting addition, but haven't been implemented yet.

quartz wrote:I have looked at that, but I've largely stopped expecting aleph documentation to be comprehensive or up to date

The Atque documentation is comprehensive and up to date as far as I'm aware. The same is true of the Lua API and MML documentation, with minor exceptions. Basically, anything that wasn't stored on the old wiki that got hackederased.

There are only a handful of community members who can write C++ code, but several dozen who can write passable English, so I still think it makes sense to prioritize coding and bug fixes, and rely on their help for documentation.

it mentions an anvil shape patch, but that's far too limited to really be useful for anything past shell sequence/frame information.

I'm pretty happy with how useful embedded shapes patches have turned out. You can embed about half a set worth of replacement textures, or snow, plants, etc. http://www.simplici7y.com/items/cesspi7

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 14th '11, 15:09

Treellama wrote:Hi-res replacement textures are generally too large to transmit in a net game.

::slaps forehead::
right... right.... brain fart. I'm thinking from the point of view of solo play, I totally forgot for some reason about net maps. nevermind.

Treellama wrote:MML documentation, with minor exceptions.

:)

Treellama wrote:so I still think it makes sense to prioritize coding and bug fixes

oh for sure. all I meant was that I'm now more likely to just ask here first and look at the docs later.

Treellama wrote:I'm pretty happy with how useful embedded shapes patches have turned out. You can embed about half a set worth of replacement textures, or snow, plants, etc.

wait, what? a couple of sprites sure, but "half a set"? in less than 400k?
Last edited by quartz on Aug 14th '11, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 14th '11, 15:21

quartz wrote:wait, what? a couple of sprites sure, but "half a set"? in less than 400k?

Each wall texture is 128x128, that's 16k. So, you can have 24 of them in Atque's 384k limit.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 14th '11, 15:29

Treellama wrote:Each wall texture is 128x128, that's 16k. So, you can have 24 of them in Atque's 384k limit.

::thinks::
yeah ok you're right. I guess I'm so used to dealing with modern stuff that I just automatically think of a "small" image as being at least like 50k and didn't actually do the math.

either way though it's kind of a moot point for me, I'm not going to bother with custom textures at 128x128. it's not a big deal, I can include plugins with my projects. it's mildly inconvenient, not a show stopper.
Last edited by quartz on Aug 14th '11, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 14th '11, 15:32

Dugit wrote:The 'SND' resource is the sound played when a chapter screen/final screen appears.

yeah I know, but it wasn't clear if that had been expanded in recent releases into a "sound patch". but tree already gave me the answer to that one.

quartz

Return to Mapping