can you put a shapes patch in a plugin?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Aug 27th '11, 22:50

..or does it only work when merged into a map?

and I mean an actual shapes patch here, with sequences and keyframe sounds and stuff, not just an opengl bitmap substitution.

quartz

Post Aug 27th '11, 23:09

Treellama wrote:No

ok, I was actually expecting the answer to this to be 'yes'....
why can you do it for maps but not plugins? what's the technical limitation?

also: I totally posted this in the wrong forum, sorry.

quartz

Post Aug 27th '11, 23:46

quartz wrote:why can you do it for maps but not plugins? what's the technical limitation?

Because you can't? There isn't one.

Do we have to do this every couple days when you have a new idea?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 28th '11, 00:02

Treellama wrote:Do we have to do this every couple days when you have a new idea?

I guess I have trouble understanding the "state of the industry" as it were. there's a lot you can do, but there's also a lot of totally arbitrary restrictions, and I'm not seeing a rhyme or reason to it. I feel like I have to maintain a giant spreadsheet I have to cross reference every time I want to do something.... I'd like to understand the underlying reasons why things are the way they are so I can make reasonable guesses.

quartz

Post Aug 28th '11, 00:10

quartz wrote:why

'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 28th '11, 02:03

As I told you before, asking a raft of technical questions to satisfy your own curiosity is selfish. STOP IT.

Features in Aleph One come about in one of 2 ways:
  1. Somebody contributes a patch to do something cool. Usually it only handles a few specific cases the original coder had in mind, generally for a scenario in development. The active developers (currently, Treellama and myself) clean it up as best we can, but if we only let things in once they're "perfect," nothing would ever get released.
  2. Somebody shows off a map/Lua/whatever and says "I'm trying to do x. Here's what I've got so far, it's kinda fun but if the engine could do y then it could really rock." If y is cool enough to attract the interest of a coder and be worth the effort, it gets done so that everyone gets to play a working version of x.

Treellama and Irons added a bunch of Lua features so that Visual Mode.lua could be built. TychoVII and I built FloatingX as the test case for the Lua HUD API, and most of its features were added when I discovered something we needed for FloatingX. Our 3D model support would be much worse off if it weren't for Kurinn's demo projects and Glen Ditchfield's coding help.

The lesson? The engine is built to enable cool things. People who make and release cool things drive the features. If you don't like the features that are there, show us that we'll get more cool things that are worth the effort to remove the limitations. Otherwise shut the fuck up.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Aug 28th '11, 03:43

Hopper wrote:to satisfy your own curiosity is selfish. STOP IT.

ok look, maybe this isn't obvious to you, but I *do* in fact attempt to do stuff and release it. the problem is that basically every idea I've had in like the last month has been cockblocked by some stupid trivial snag. I do a lot of stuff that I don't release sure, and once in a while something goes wrong in a way I don't understand and I ask a question about it, but I'm not just asking random questions for shits and giggles. if I can get something to actually work in a way that's at all practical I'll put it out (and have done so), I just haven't had a lot of success lately.

Hopper wrote:[*] Somebody shows off a map/Lua/whatever and says "I'm trying to do x. Here's what I've got so far, it's kinda fun but if the engine could do y then it could really rock."

that is in fact EXACTLY WHAT I'VE DONE like half a dozen times now. most recently with the scuba sounds thing that would work a lot better if people had access to the breath rate variable. if you don't think it's cool/important enough to make changes to accommodate it then I'd appreciate it if you and tree would just fucking say it rather than dancing around half my questions and whining about how I ask too many. I'm a big boy, I can take it, trust me.

I am trying to help the community here. I'm trying to do interesting stuff that gets people interested. I'm trying to start the sub-forum so people can discuss what they find confusing about the documentation so we can fix it. if that's not good enough than I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of ideas.

if you want to run me out then fine, I can find other things to spend my time on. just remember later when you whine about how the community's fading and no one posts anymore.

quartz

Post Aug 28th '11, 12:27

To be clear, I don't mind answering questions like the original, where, with the demise of the plugins guide I wrote, there isn't any way to know without asking. Search the Pfhorums first, of course.

It's the further arguing about why some common-sense-to-quartz feature doesn't exist that gets tedious. For general guidance: not every feature that seems like it should be implemented actually is, even if there's no technical limitation preventing it from being implemented. I can't believe I have to say this.

Flamewars like this thread really only appeal to a subset of this community that I could live without if I had to. So please don't try to frame posts begging the question like #3 as trying to get the community involved.

Conflating complaining about this specific behavior with trying to run you out of the whole Pfhorums is not helpful either. Take a break and try to start thinking clearly.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 28th '11, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Mapping