What the hell is this?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Nov 18th '11, 22:24

I have a problem with my map, just watch the vid and you will se what it is. [MErr]
The video link

Mavrik
Sweden

Post Nov 19th '11, 08:55

How was this map made? Can you post it? If not, may we see a map view?

Crater Creator

Post Nov 19th '11, 13:44

Crater Creator wrote:How was this map made? Can you post it? If not, may we see a map view?

Here you go:
Video of the map in weland

Mavrik
Sweden

Post Nov 19th '11, 17:05

Crater Creator wrote:How was this map made? Can you post it? If not, may we see a map view?

you could tell from the original youtube that it was a big room assembled from a large number of axis-aligned, non-staggered rectangles. the trouble comes from having too many invisible collinear lines.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Nov 20th '11, 03:19

It looks like you're breaking your geometry up into more lines and polygons than is necessary. If you want a height change, a texture or lighting change, or a shape that doesn't fit Marathon's definition of a polygon (convex with 3-8 vertices), then you need to break it up. Other times, it can be better as one. For an example, from looking at your map it looks like the space around the player might be intended to look like four couch-shaped objects arranged in a circle. Here's an alternate way of breaking that down:
[attachment=5282:Screen_S...04.45_PM.png]
Your map uses 53 vertices, 84 lines, and 33 polygons in this area, whereas the attached image uses 36 vertices, 60 lines, and 27 polygons for what is likely the same visible results. Also, if any part of your map is to be an interior wall that's filled in solid from top to bottom, you don't need a polygon there - delete it to create negative space. You could try setting the floor and ceiling heights, and then see if it's easier to identify what lines are necessary and which aren't.
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2011_11_19_at_9.04.45_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2011_11_19_at_9.04.45_PM.png (12.09 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Last edited by Crater Creator on Nov 20th '11, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Creator

Post Nov 21st '11, 01:21

It doesn't appear that your geometry is too complex. AO can handle many more polygons than that. The problem is weland; sometimes it screws up the boundary between walls. Deleting and re-drawing the affected polygons usually fixes it.

ktaur

Post Nov 21st '11, 01:47

K wrote:The problem is weland; sometimes it screws up the boundary between walls. Deleting and re-drawing the affected polygons usually fixes it.

The problem is you're drawing zero length lines, which Weland allows despite my best efforts. Fortunately it also includes a menu item to find them--just delete those, no need to redraw geometry.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 21st '11, 21:33

Treellama wrote:The problem is you're drawing zero length lines, which Weland allows despite my best efforts. Fortunately it also includes a menu item to find them--just delete those, no need to redraw geometry.

This as addressed in an earlier conversation...thought it might be useful:

http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?showtopi...7&hl=weland

Sometimes it's zero-length lines, sometimes it's not. i frequently have issues where, despite paving a map in weland, and running 'find zero-length lines' (finding none), certain walls remain untextured, and the only remedy is to re-draw them.

ktaur

Return to Mapping