Second Quest

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
irons
Vidmaster

I was only half-joking. It does feel more cramped and "busy." I was just pointing out that the original was a barren trash heap.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well yeah, but there is a basis for his claims.
irons
Vidmaster

I agree. I didn't really like how the new level felt. Done.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

are you suggesting It should be replaced?
irons
Vidmaster

No. It's actually kind of nice in its own way, but it's just not my kind of level. I never liked the original that much and I don't particularly like the remake.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The new level is satisfactory.

I have issues with screamingfool's architecture as a whole, but they're personal issues and not really objective, technical faults. King of Pain is a good map, and I like how it plays, but it feels a little more cluttered than before. I think it's a solid remake that doesn't need a second effort.
irons
Vidmaster

Exactly. Second Quest is beyond reproach. :D
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

i admit it, i've been infidelous but baby, hear me out. i never meant to hurt you

i've never been a fan of arenas because;
1) i suck playing them so i don't understand what the draw is and therefore cant do a straight up arena justice.
2) even when arenas are passable there is less emphasis on skilled playing

so while keeping a large central battle field i put as many ins and outs as possible as well as fighting room around the perimiter so encounters there don't simply fall to who is most armed or has their back turned momentarily. i also tried to make those areas distinct so a player can orient immediately from spawning or teleporting as well as to provide some substance for attack and evasion based on the surrounding architecture.

i know it kinda breaks the tradition of it being a simple arena but i deliberately made it simple enough to be played exactly the same if players want yet complex enough to offer a little more strategy for players who want that.

take me back wont you, you know i'll do it again but it'll be worth it. i promise
Last edited by screamingfool on Jun 6th '07, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Kinetic Turtle wrote:THIRD QUEST
LOCH
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

You know what I think would have made King of Pain better (the remake) would be if it were perportionaly larger. Take evrey thing and make it a little bigger, not by too much mind you, then it wouldnt feel as clutered. The origional was huge and you felt open and free where as the new one is a little clausterphobic. Mind you I am not nieve as to how much work that would actually mean. Infact It would mean redoing the whole stupid map. but thats my two cents
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Jun 9th '07, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

herecomethej2000 wrote:You know what I think would have made King of Pain better (the remake) would be if it were perportionaly larger.
Now THAT is some functionality that I want... I don't think JUICE can do this yet, but is it possible? To be specific: I'd like to have available a simple function like "map => map * (__1.0__)" that you could just type a decimal number in and have it scale completely, in all 3 dimensions.

Can it be done?
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
irons
Vidmaster

JUICE is not a geometry editor. Geometry is one of those things that is just annoying. For example, you have to know the area and origin of every polygon as part of its data in the map file. No thanks. If you want to scale a map, try the "Merge" effect for Chisel.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

so it can be done with chisel?
irons
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:so it can be done with chisel?
irons wrote:If you want to scale a map, try the "Merge" effect for Chisel.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

the arena of kop is exactly the same size as the original and the hallways are a good deal bigger, i think if it were any bigger getting around the map would get tedious
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

screamingfool wrote:the arena of kop is exactly the same size as the original and the hallways are a good deal bigger, i think if it were any bigger getting around the map would get tedious
I'm not saying a whole lot just 10% or less just to make a diffrence in the way it feels.