Rooftops (fixed DL)

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
irons
Vidmaster

I think that is what he means. However, maps made for new shapes, such as Rooftops, would either look like random crap, contain smearing, or cause OOS. Which is why most people don't want to mess with such things.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Except for textures smearing and games going OOS? Don't try to argue this with the AlephOne dev.

I don't see any smearing and I don't know what the hell OOS is.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

1. You're playing single player so OOS doesn't matter.

2. Now try using a map that uses more textures than the original Infinity set, and then loading the map using Infinity textures. Bam, smearing.
StoneClench
Cyborg

Im sure that there isn't more textures in that then there is in inf, I still think that he means viewing maps with those shapes, not making maps for those shapes.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Tommy, maaaaaybe this will help you understand;

Theoretically, multiple players can play Aleph One together with different shapes files without trouble as long as they all have a shape in every place that the map calls for one; in short, if every shapes file has the SAME NUMBER of shapes (or at least as many or more shapes than the map calls for), then you'll get along fine. This is why the M2 and MInf shapes files are interchangeable, except for the vacbobs, SMG and Jjarro texture set). If you were to replace all the textures randomly but keep the number the same, it would work, but it would look like crap because the textures would be placed based on the appearance of the OLD textures.

However, what we're talking about here is maps designed with texture sets that have more textures than those being used by other players; Aleph One will try to reference textures that don't exist and should be beyond the list of existing textures, causing problems.

Ironically, if you were to gather a game using such a custom shapes file and a map that referred to those shapes beyond the standard list, you as the gatherer would not notice a problem until players started going out of sync (OOS), which causes them to do things like shoot at walls, not reincarnate, think they're winning when they're losing, etc. They might also start complaining about the smearing first.

Because of this, it's generally accepted that we must maintain a standardized shapes file (the Infinity one). In order to keep us all sane.
Macsforever

lololololololol.
I didnt add shapes to the file. I just repleaced the originals with new ones.
There is the same number of shapes as in the ORIGINAL shapes file. I thought you laready knew that. Seeing how added shapes dont work in forge.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:2. Now try using a map that uses more textures than the original Infinity set, and then loading the map using Infinity textures. Bam, smearing.
What about extending the infinity set and standardizing that one?
Macsforever wrote:Seeing how added shapes dont work in forge.
You got to give them a sequence.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
irons
Vidmaster

Guys, we already talked about this texture shit in another thread, and it got locked. Stop.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Ok, why exactly did it get locked? Thought it was because it was about two different subjects

Oh, also, a little question, dont mean anything with it. Well actually i do. Are scenario dependant netmaps ever played? If so, you may have noticed their altered shapes.
Last edited by Drictelt on May 12th '07, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
irons
Vidmaster

In metaserver, people play almost exclusively using Infinity. Those who host other scenarios without telling us almost always have failed games because of the above issues. Once the hosts are aware that almost no one plays other scenarios, they either ask if anyone wants to play, say, M1A1, or they hold private games with their friends.