Dairy Dojo

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

[attachment=611:Dairy_Dojo.zip] I made a new map, its named after my other name Dairy King. ENJOY YOUR SELF IN MY DAIRY DOJO...
Attachments
Dairy_Dojo.zip
(11.09 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by Darkwrath on May 13th '07, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
megabyte
Vidmaster

hey are you related to dairy son, queen, and wallaby?
i saw them on a few days ago
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

Megabyte wrote:hey are you related to dairy son, queen, and wallaby?
i saw them on a few days ago
Those are basicly jsut a bunch of losers trying to copy me. THE DAIRY KING IS IN NO WAY RELATED TO THEM.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This map... really isn't that bad. It's got a lot of basic novice mistakes, but overall it's a decent, if plain, map. Some issues:
- The line on the right side of polygon 22 is impassable. I think this has to do with the pillar on the north side of the same poly; either that or the weird angle of the stairs on the south side. Try redrawing this southern ledge in a different way.
- The central arena needs some sort of lighting. Everything looks flat and boring. Look up differential shading.
- If you're going to put SPNKRs on this map, you need to have more than one, and they need to be scattered around the map. At this point, almost all of the missiles are in one place, which is really bad.
- That little "bonus room" with the TOZT is unnecessary. In fact, the TOZT is probably unnecessary.
- Whenever you have two adjacent polygons, if one is open to the sky and the other has a roof, the one with the roof should have a lower ceiling height than the one open to the sky. It looks really funky the way you have it set up now.

I'm interested to see how you develop in the future, this isn't a bad start at all.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 15th '07, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

You missed some others. The elevator under the window area goes too high, and one teleporter on the high ledge area doesn't work.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

pretty impressive first map, props for using textures and sounds in a mostly tasteful way. Tho... umm, i guess i'll say it, protip; when you make poly bound sounds transition and one or both of the sounds involved are fairly loud (above 30) make a sound object to feather the affected area. This is assuming you don't need to do it all over your map (cause a lot of sound objects can cause problems). Otherwise make the poly sounds gave a bit of a gradient and fade them out as you leave the effected area.

Other than the stuff TK pointed out the "stairs" in the north-west corner of the map should be made into real stairs. Having them look climbable and not be is a real flow killer and even though there a plat nearby, it's more out of the way completely missable, and well, there's no reason for those stairs not to work.

-the sniper window on the north wall should come down about .2 wu (top and bottom edges of the window) otherwise it's kinda useless - the player has a really restricted view of the main floor and will likely detonate a rocket or grenade in their face trying to hit someone below.

-i'd speed up the plats by 1 wu

-try to give the player enough room when jumping off higher elevations that they won't faceplant the edge of a ceiling poly, commonly referred to as headbanger drops.

- try and utilize all the spaces you create flow wise, for example a plat where poly 43 and 67 meet would allow more action to happen in that area.

Other than that, just play a lot, look at the maps you like in forge and develop your aesthetic sense.
Last edited by screamingfool on May 15th '07, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

It's only constructive if he follows the suggestion.

I agree with TK and SF on all points. Great start, JC. You've caught on very quickly to some aesthetic points that many people take a very long time to figure out.
Lugas
Vidmaster

I didn't think it was bad for a beginner, but the fact that there was too much ammo knocked its balance for me.
I liked the texturing, and you pulled through despite the Water set's ugly textures. The shape and flow were good as well, except one of the lifts couldn't be accessed from the bottom of the map.

6/10
davidwood15
Cyborg

Calm the beans lads....

I'll be able to give this a proper go in a few days. Last exam on Thursday ^>^
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Sn!per-David wrote:Calm the beans lads....

I'll be able to give this a proper go in a few days. Last exam on Thursday ^>^
Bastard. I have another two.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Warnings have been issued. Don't start fights in this topic any more.