Mass 3D Model Clipping

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Nov 23rd '07, 04:01

Wasn't that the original problem? Lacking points?
*zing*

kineticturtle

Post Nov 23rd '07, 04:20

Tim Vogel wrote:I've always liked Marathon for everything on a map actually being there, always. Nothing is more annoying in a game then running into an object only to notice it is being rendered to late..

Overall I'm surprised how well AO handles 3d though.

Yeah, I remember early polygon-era racing games. They sometimes rendered the track so slow it was impossible not to hit something. This was true for PC/Playstation/Saturn/Arcade.
Volcanon

Post Nov 23rd '07, 16:15

Treellama wrote:This thread is now pointless.

Why was the initial problem resolved? Somehow I missed it and Am continuing to miss it as I look trough the other page.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 24th '07, 06:58

Not quite sure either. Did you fix the problem through Aleph One Treellama?.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Nov 26th '07, 18:02

The issue has been solved, next AO build will fix this. Thanks for the support all.
Missedisland

Post Nov 26th '07, 19:23

oh neat, so maybe the new a1 will fix my minor problem as well.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 26th '07, 19:38

It won't, unless you're using 3D models, which you're not.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 26th '07, 21:12

It won't, unless you're using 3D models, which you're not.

Your blunt remarks make me laugh treellama.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -

Longinus
Ellicott City, MD

Post Nov 26th '07, 23:10

Well all I can say is dang.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Feb 11th '15, 09:52

Missedisland wrote:The issue has been solved, next AO build will fix this. Thanks for the support all.

In working on Halathon, we're still encountering what appears to be the same behavior: large-scale 3D models disappear from view from some angles, namely if their origin points (the coordinates where the object is placed in the map) are off-screen. I've read the MML documentation and tried a lot of different settings, but I can't seem to affect the result. thedoctor45 suggested I ask about this specifically, so: what is the latest on this? Are there MML parameters or other settings that make a 3D model draw more consistently without disappearing, and if so, what are they?

Crater Creator

Post Feb 11th '15, 13:40

Make sure the 3D model fits entirely within the polygon it's placed in. That should ensure it's always visible.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 13th '15, 05:28

thanks for the tip - unfortunately this is easier said than done since all our maps use a pretty complex level geometry in general.

I tried it with a rather large model just now but I don't see much improvement over how it rendered before being placed into a single polygon. it still vanishes sometimes at certain angles while leaving the players fov.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 13th '15, 13:28

Hmm, I thought we had fixed it to display models as long as the polygon was visible. But there could still be bugs.

Is this with classic or shader? Does the other renderer behave the same way?

If the polygon the model is in is *not* visible then you don't have much hope of it being displayed--the engine has no way of knowing to render it. That's why you need to make sure models fit within the polygons they're placed in.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 13th '15, 17:29

I can't make out any difference between the OpenGL Classic and Shader renderer tbh. The effect worsens the closer you get to the model.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 13th '15, 18:43

:(

I guess file a bug. It would really help if you could accompany it with a simple test map.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 19th '15, 09:14

Here is a simple test map.
3DGeoVisibilityTest.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

Download & unzip. Put the folder in your Aleph One directory. Put the .mml file in Scripts. Launch the map. Notice that if the player stands at the edge of the model, looking out, the model disappears.

The dark patch on the floor is a single polygon. I tried scaling down the model to be sure it was contained within one polygon, with the same result. It disappears in both Shader and Classic renderers.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 20th '15, 02:15

Ah, so it disappears when the center is behind the player. With flat sprites, you'd never see them then, so the engine has various optimizations to strip them out. The 3D model code tries to account for that case, but doesn't prevent all the optimizations from kicking in. Hopefully treellama and I can sort it out without breaking other stuff.

Hopper

Post Feb 20th '15, 13:52

Thanks for making this package!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 21st '15, 03:40

No problem - thanks for investigating this guys. Would you still like a bug filed on SF?

Crater Creator

Previous

Return to Mapping