Aleph One Map Limits

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
glue
Born on Board

In Weland, I have a one polygon square at 31 units height, length, and depth. That runs stable until it is increased to 33 units and then the walls flash with black or sheared infinite patterns. 32 looks like the limit. Has anyone gone over this amount?

The Weland space seems bigger than what Forge allowed. Are there any maps that push the space limits on Aleph One? I found one level in Eternal that seemed maxed.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just last year, we discovered that polygons can only be 32 WU tall, so the same limit on walls wouldn't surprise me. I believe your viewing distance can stretch across the entire map if you split the space into multiple polygons.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

glue wrote:In Weland, I have a one polygon square...
Pragmatically speaking, single unattached polygons will produce wonky results and should be avoided.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Hasn't the 32WU limit been known since the earliest map editors? And yes there's at least one level in Eternal (well, at least five nearly-identical levels) which presses that to the max.

Also, if polygons have a max height, wouldn't walls necessarily have at most that same max height? Since a wall is just an edge of a polygon...
glue
Born on Board

I will be dividing space into hundreds of polygons and the next question is answered: multiple polygons allow more viewing space. I remember Forge used to go crazy with shorter distances. I don't remember the direct 32 limit from the late 90s, but used to push distances and views until the walls flashed: then would block with architecture to allow greater distances.

The ceiling floor scale says -32 to 32 which ends up being 64 units; but this test level polygon freaked at 32. Wall acts the same as floor and ceiling. I will try with multiple polygons.

The Eternal maxed level is a good example.

One polygon stretched 32 units is something to see: there seems to be more latitude with Weland and I had read things had improved. Weland's point-line tool is direct. Thanks!
Chocolateer
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:Hasn't the 32WU limit been known since the earliest map editors? And yes there's at least one level in Eternal (well, at least five nearly-identical levels) which presses that to the max.
Forge only allowed -9 WU to +9 WU
glue wrote:The ceiling floor scale says -32 to 32 which ends up being 64 units; but this test level polygon freaked at 32. Wall acts the same as floor and ceiling. I will try with multiple polygons.
The 32 WU limit only applies to a single polygon. The entire map can span 64 WU vertically when spread across multiple polygons.
glue
Born on Board

64 WU: that changes the entire game.
Cathunter
Cyborg

I remember doing this to test Pfhorge.... A polygon would do 64U but the vertical texturing won't go beyond 32U; all looks fine while you're standing at 0 but step off the ledge and the wall texture smears. OK going up (zero G) but (if I remember rightly) reach the ceiling and you pass through it into the floor. You can build a map that looks across the full 64 units but use too many polygons doing it and projectiles (but not you) run into invisible walls. It's possible to extend the edges of polygons a little way beyond the edge of the map without the texture smearing. I don't recall trying a combination of heights, distance, polygons and beyond limits. Also noted that the fastest way to get across 64 units was a fast water slingshot.

Cathunter