About those Keycards...

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

About those Keycards...

Post Aug 12th '13, 03:39

How do they work, exactly? I've seen them used in Marathon: Phoenix, and it seems that Tempus Irae uses them to serve as the 'keys' throughout. However, I have no idea how they work. If anybody could give me a quick tutorial on how to use them in a map, I would be quite grateful.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 13th '13, 04:22

just how grateful we talking here
patrick
末法

Post Aug 13th '13, 04:28

I'd be really grateful to know the answer to this as well. I was reading a very old post some time ago that implied they don't work at all and/or never did, but it wasn't very clear on that point.

And as for how grateful? Very, but sexual favors and monetary compensation are out of the question. Perhaps I can send you a christmas card or something.
Look out - he's nuts!

jonny

Post Aug 13th '13, 04:33

My own form of gratitude might include mention in the 'Special Thanks' section of Marathon: Grendel's credits, assuming I use keycards in some level (and I probably will, just for the sake of experimentation).

PerseusSpartacus

Post Aug 13th '13, 12:20

Keycards have always been limited in their functionality. I think they were only ever meant to be an item for the player to collect on retrieval type maps.

One trick you can do is to place the keycard on a light trigger which will get activated when the player comes along to pick up the keycard. Then have door switches that can only be activated when the light is active.

With the advent of lua scripting, it is now possible to only allow the player to open doors if the they have a key card in their inventory.

Chocolateer

Post Aug 13th '13, 12:36

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 13th '13, 15:22

Thanks for the help. I'll probably use the light-trigger technique, considering that it doesn't make much sense to have keycards disappear when you use them.

PerseusSpartacus

Return to Mapping