How to make one full scenario Including Physics?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Or 5, make the polygon a 'Major Damage Polygon' (doable in Weland). This makes it so the player will take damage if they are above/standing on that polygon, killing them in a short amount of time. This isn't the best method, though, and I'd recommend instead using RyokoTK's method:

Code: Select all

function Triggers.idle()
   for p in Players() do
      if p.z < -3.00 and not p.dead then
         p:damage(150,"suffocation")
      end
   end
end
Just replace "-3.00" with the appropriate height in WUs. Suffocation is the best kind of damage to use, as it doesn't cause a flash on the screen, and the sound it makes is kind of fun (though it is a little weird as well).
Is there a script to do that? or I must make it from scratch?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's a very easy Lua script. If you have Phoenix, unpack it with Atque and find a level that has it merged in (Stone Temple Pilates is one), and look at how it's written.

I was going to link to the Lua documentation here but it appears the page no longer exists.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:It's a very easy Lua script. If you have Phoenix, unpack it with Atque and find a level that has it merged in (Stone Temple Pilates is one), and look at how it's written.

I was going to link to the Lua documentation here but it appears the page no longer exists.
Yup, I have Phoenix. :)

Um, have u use a Minor Ouch or Major Ouch Polygon Effect? and What the effect will happen?
Zott
Vidmaster

Since I've just discovered the Major Ouch and Minor Ouch polygon types actually exist/work. You open Weland, draw out your map and fill the polyies and then click on 'Polygon Types' from the view menu. Click on Major Ouch or Minor Ouch on the right titles, then click on the polygons to paint them with that type.

Major Ouch gives a fader effect and damage similar if the player were standing in Goo, while Minor Ouch gives the effects of a player standing in lava.

You can use mml to hide the screen effects if desired.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

If I recall, the reason why you may not want to use Ouch polygons is because they deal damage regardless of your elevation. So if you want to have the player jump across a bottomless chasm, they'll still take damage while in midair. It's not a very practical solution when the Lua for polygon-based damage is really simple to write.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

One question is going through my head about the minor and the major ouch polygon types: why would you take damage midair? I never really understood why I took damage from the goo from M1 jumping over it when I wasn't touching it.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Convection.

Edit: the actual reason is that no polygon-based events check your height relative to the floor of the polygon. The game just checks to see if you're in the polygon at all. If you have a player-activated lift, you can activate it by jumping over it even if you never touch it.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Ok. I'm understand now.
There's one more thing that I dunno. The Glue, Super Glue and so on. What's the use ? (All of them)
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Overwatch_C-17 wrote:There's one more thing that I dunno. The Glue, Super Glue and so on. What's the use ? (All of them)
Outside of the actual original M1? None. M2 doesn't recognize them, and neither does Aleph One, I don't think. If you must know, I'd recommend raiding this Story Forum thread:

http://forums.bungie.org/story/?noframes;read=64399

I remember we talked a bit more about it, but maybe I'm remembering a different thread. I honestly don't know any more. Hope it helps, though.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I read something on what Glue and Super Glue do. They're not used anymore because we have something to replace them: monster triggers and zone borders (I'm sorry if I got the second one wrong. It's been months since I've used Weland).
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Thank u guys. All this info really help me ;)
Asylum
Cyborg

PerseusSpartacus wrote: *looks shiftily at RyokoTK* ;)
and so madness consumes yet another one

you cannot see ryoko. he is not there. i highly advise you use ryoko's method for this sort of thing and pretend there was never a guy called RyokoTK in the first place.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Hello, I'm back
I wanna ask something. Why the Latest version of AlephOne (not the Beta one), when Cyborg firing projectile from platform, Cyborg will fire the bouncing grenade rapidly when the platform move?
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

That's been around for awhile, I believe. Any monster on a platform rapidly moving up and down can do that. I'm not why it occurs, but I've seen it happen twice.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

That bug was in the original Marathon 2 engine. A monster on a moving platform is prevented from firing, but it still remembers that it wanted to attack. When the platform stops, it then does all the attacks it wanted to do earlier. The longer the platform, the more attacks would be stored up and then fired all at once.

In the beta, monsters are allowed to attack from a moving platform, so they just fire as the platform moves, instead of waiting until it stops.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Hopper wrote:That bug was in the original Marathon 2 engine. A monster on a moving platform is prevented from firing, but it still remembers that it wanted to attack. When the platform stops, it then does all the attacks it wanted to do earlier. The longer the platform, the more attacks would be stored up and then fired all at once.

In the beta, monsters are allowed to attack from a moving platform, so they just fire as the platform moves, instead of waiting until it stops.
Can it happen with Bullet Projectile monster? Like Bob, and Trooper? Cuz I always seen the Cyborg do that thing.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Bullets aren't substantially different from other projectile types on the engine side of things; all projectiles are likely affected the same. I suspect it's just easier to notice the cyborg grenades.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Oh, Alright, and Why I can't extract Original Marathon Music file with Atque?
treellama
Vidmaster

Atque only understands Marathon 2 files. It also only works with images and maps.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

Hello, I'm confused how to correct the position of released projectile from monster attack sprites? For example I have a new sprites for Alien Fighter.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The position is controlled in the physics model, Aliens -> (which monster) -> Combat Settings, fields Dx, Dy, Dz. Here's some documentation for those fields and the rest of the physics model.
jonny
Born on Board

I've never done any editing of physics files, but if I'm guessing right, I think what you want to do is adjust the origin of the projectile sprites. Just to clarify, you've replaced the fighter sprites, but not the projectile sprites, right?
Look out - he's nuts!
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

jonny wrote:I've never done any editing of physics files, but if I'm guessing right, I think what you want to do is adjust the origin of the projectile sprites. Just to clarify, you've replaced the fighter sprites, but not the projectile sprites, right?
Yup ^_^
dustu
Cyborg

Wow. The Phoenix map and scripts are amazing. I just checked out how the physics, etc. were merged and looked at some of the scripts. Really really cool. Great job.
RyokoTK wrote:It's a very easy Lua script. If you have Phoenix, unpack it with Atque and find a level that has it merged in (Stone Temple Pilates is one), and look at how it's written.

Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:I was going to link to the Lua documentation here but it appears the page no longer exists
I should get something more permanent set up, but here are working links: These links are also on the front page of the Aleph One wiki. And, all three documents are included with every download.