Confusion with Switches, chip inserts, lights, tags, etc.

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Confusion with Switches, chip inserts, lights, tags, etc.

Post Mar 8th '14, 02:25

Hi all!

I'm making progress. Only a few week ago, I didn't even know how to texture or use weland. Now I have a 3-level textured map with terminals (#finished and #unfinished branching), pattern buffers, auto exit, and interlevel teleport from a terminal. Not too shabby considering I'm not a programmer type at all. :-) But I DO love gaming.

So, my current problem is deciphering switches, tags, and chip inserts. I continue to struggle my way through Visual Mode since it not entirely intuitive for a newb like me :-).

But even understanding now how to apply different things to a terminal using the action key (i.e., applying a terminal or pattern buffer), I am finding the simple operation of creating a switch where I can perform a chip insert to open a door with an associated 'tag' really confusing.

No matter what I do, I can't get it to work and I've scoured the forum and bungie bbs.

Here's what I've attempted (actually I've done it several different ways and this is the latest way :-) ):

In Visual mode, I created a switch and selected Chip with Tag 1. I then went into Weland and tagged the door as Tag 1 and set the level parameters to 'repair' as well as 'retrieval'. So, I do see a 'chip' that I can pick up while playing, but when I approach a switch, it does nothing when I hit the 'action' key.

I'm really not sure what I"m doing wrong here.

Can anyone provide some insight?

By the way, I plan to (a) put all I've learned on youtube and then (b) write it up for other newbs. :-) That's why I'm trying to figure all this out - just from a basic level. Not advanced stuff like stairs etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best,
P

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 06:04

I have tested this on my end with no problem using both Visual Mode.lua as well as good old fashion Forge+Visual Mode.
My guess would be the color scheme of Visual Mode.lua with the red and white text may be throwing you off.

Here's how I did it.
1. Set platform or door so that 'Active' is unselected and set the Tag to 1: This way I can activate it with the Chip and see the results.

2. Start map with visual Mode.lua. Choose any wall, and use one of the wire/chip texture sets. Place it with left click.

3. Press Tab until the leftmost text says 'Chip', and the second to the rightmost text says 'Tag #'. If you want a different tag, the tilde (~) key can be held, then the left and right mouse buttons can be pressed accordingly to change the tag. [If you want the panel to just be a switch, 'Tag' on the leftmost text would be what you would want to use.]

4. Make sure the 'Light Dependent' and 'Weapon Only' text are Red. Red means they are NOT active. Use the scroll wheel to change if they are white. You don't want your chip panel to be weapons only...then it wouldn't be possible to activate it with a chip. (Unless the game checks for that, but I don't believe it does.)

5. Hold down Tilde (~) and make sure 'status' is also Red. If it is white, change it similar to Step 4.

6. Without holding Tilde (~), press the left click button to SAVE all the changes. Now play the map Visual Lua to test.
Attachments
SwitchTest copy.zip
Open the door with the Chip.
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 8th '14, 12:50

Wow Zott. This is great! Thanks!!! The colors are definitely adding to my confusion. Thanks for this! I will test it and report back here. I'll also download the sample. One quick additional question: how do you check the setup of an existing switch in a map (like your sample)? Seems like you can only see switch settings when you are placing a switch not looking at someone else's switch. Is that true or am I missing something?
Best,
Paul

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 16:28

Hi,
I am happy to report back that I did finally get it to work thanks to Zott! Uploading the test level was awesome. It turns out that I had several settings on level parameters incorrect too that we didn't discuss in this post so it was GREAT that you included that level Zott! :-) Much appreciated. Now I will try to see if I can get lights working. ;-)
-p

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 16:32

One additional question about your level that I can't figure out Zott. In your test level, how did you create the small polygon attached to the larger area where you put the switch? I can't create a polygon unless it starts out connecting to the 2 edges of another polygon! How'd you do that? :-)

Again, thanks for your help with the switches. Much appreciated!!

-p

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 18:15

Actually, I figured it out Zott. :-) Transparent lines. :-)

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 19:42

Hi Zott,

Here's an update to your test level. I think I've covered every switch type I could and got them all to work!! Thankxs in part to your awesome help. I open 2 secret doors, I turn on lights that flicker on from 0 to 100%, I allow players to use a 3x charge up station, and I figured out more about polygons based on your sample! :-)
Thanks man!
-p
Attachments
Switch Test.sceA.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 20:14

how did you create the small polygon attached to the larger area where you put the switch? I can't create a polygon unless it starts out connecting to the 2 edges of another polygon!

Assuming I am understanding this correctly: In Forge, you are not allowed to 'attach' a polygon, that is, split a line of a filled polygon. It was possible to draw a new polygon using a filled polygon's existing points as the base however. Weland, I believe, can split lines of filled polygons, which may lead to situations where the boundary line between the old and new polygon is marked as solid. I would say it is good practice to draft out the entire level before filling the polygons so they are marked as un-solid automatically upon first fill.

Glad I could help. Also, you don't need to sign all your posts. I can see your username. :rolleyes:
~Zott

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 8th '14, 23:20

Ok. Thanks Zott! Appreciate all the help from you and other wonderful folks like Dan on here. :-)

dustu

Post Apr 19th '14, 09:30

dustu I'm very happy to hear you plan on making a tutorial of sorts. I've always failed to understand how terminals work. I'll be looking forward to it!

EDIT: I subscribed to your Youtube channel.
Johnman

Return to Mapping