Orphanage

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Orphanage

Post Jun 24th '14, 19:44

Can anyone tell me how I can access the orphanage FTP site, so that I can download maps from there? Also, does anyone know of any other sizeable archive of old maps where I might be able to find some stuff I made years ago, and which my kids now want to see as proof that their old dad used to play computer games? ;-)
cjones586

Post Jun 24th '14, 22:43

Is this what you're looking for:

http://marathon.bungie.org/Orphanage/

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jun 25th '14, 04:13

My searchable Fileball archive is probably the nicest way to browse everything posted to one of the biggest Marathon file-hosting sites back in the day. Fileball itself is long gone, but my site has the metadata and Rising Studios kindly hosts most of the files.

There's also The Archives, another classic hosting site inactive but still alive at bungie.org. There's a lot of overlap between Fileball and The Archives, so if a download link doesn't work at one, look for the file at the other.

Hopper

Post Jun 25th '14, 07:44

I'm looking for The "Ry'ada" scenario, which I've only found on the Orphanage. However, when I try to download it from the Orphanage, I get an FTP permissions error. I tried accessing the FTP directly using the usual guest or anonymous logins, but no luck. If anyone else has ever managed to download stuff from there, would they mind sharing how they managed it?
cjones586

Post Jun 25th '14, 07:47

Hopper wrote:My searchable Fileball archive is probably the nicest way to browse everything posted to one of the biggest Marathon file-hosting sites back in the day.

Thanks for that link - lots of great stuff on there!

Hopper wrote:There's also The Archives, another classic hosting site inactive but still alive at bungie.org. There's a lot of overlap between Fileball and The Archives, so if a download link doesn't work at one, look for the file at the other.

The Archives has been broken for a long time - someone clearly forgot to change the file perms on their CGI script!
cjones586

Post Jun 29th '14, 04:46

cjones586 wrote:The Archives has been broken for a long time - someone clearly forgot to change the file perms on their CGI script!

Oh, I hadn't realized; it's been a year or so since I checked. If it doesn't get fixed, I do have a listing squirreled away, which I hope to integrate into my Fileball site someday. The vast majority of files were also at Fileball, so you're not missing much.

Hopper

Post Jul 28th '14, 00:14

The ftp link ought to work fine. I'll take a look and see what the problem is.
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Nov 14th '14, 12:48

This is the same problem I am having; I don't have permission to get any of the files.
Mazaro

Post Jan 4th '15, 20:55

People have had more problems since I last commented. While I dealt with the immediate problem back in July what I find now is that the entire contents have been deleted from the server. I have copies of most of the material but not all due to a hard drive failure at this end some time back (slap wrist). Since I don't have the time to spare to recreate the site elsewhere (and you may have noticed I haven't joined any games in the last 2 years) I think it's time to call it a day and shut up shop. My intention is to transfer some of the material to Simplici7y, depending on what prior permission has been given by creators.

Some material could be regarded as obsolete. Do people want me to add material like 128x128 gif images?

Cathunter
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Jan 4th '15, 21:40

I suggest posting the contents as a tarball somewhere. Several Fileball clones appeared after a torrent of the contents became available.

I think Simplici7y will be even more inappropriate for orphanage-style content than it is for bad new content. Somehow.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Mapping