Visual Mode.lua List of Controls?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Visual Mode.lua List of Controls?

Post Jun 25th '14, 21:40

It would be nice if there was a list of key controls for Visual Mode.lua; I know the readme included in the ZIP is pretty helpful in a fundamental sense, but it would be nice if there was a more in-depth user guide to Visual Mode.

Specifically I wonder how to move/drag/align a texture... I've searched on this (maybe not hard enough?) and I've read that textures can be moved, but for the life of me I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me out with that? Apologies in advance if this has already been answered, or is so obvious I shouldn't have to ask...
ElbowFromTheSky

Post Jun 25th '14, 22:31

Just hold the mouse button down and drag.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jun 26th '14, 00:28

nice, thanks. I had the mouse turned off, go figure.
ElbowFromTheSky

Post Jun 26th '14, 02:38

If you're not used to using the mouse, then more generally: aim the crosshairs at the surface you want to texture, and hold down primary fire while you change the direction you're facing. The texture will slide corresponding to your turning.

Crater Creator

Post Jun 28th '14, 16:22

Yeah, I've got the hang of it now. Like I said, it was probably obvious I just wasn't seeing it. Thanks!
ElbowFromTheSky

Post Aug 13th '14, 21:15

We'd still like a cheat sheet of controls, though, I'm sure.
Presently working on andnomoreshallwepart.sceA

macksting
Aboard the Manus Celer Dei

Post Aug 15th '14, 01:36

The cheat sheet is in the interface. The icons at the top of the screen are taken from Infinity's control-mapping graphics. Valid controls are:

Microphone (stand mic icon)
    Action (hand icon)
    Previous Weapon (left arrow icon over some green blocks)
    Next Weapon (right arrow ditto)
    Primary Trigger (handgun icon)
    Secondary Trigger (grenade icon)
    Overhead Map

Generally, trigger actions somehow affect what you're looking at. In Texture mode, clicking primary textures whatever you're looking at. Holding it aligns the texture. Secondary copies the texture (and/or light). In Move mode, they choose/teleport to the selected polygon.

Mic and overhead map keys change the mode, bringing different context to the other keys. Text next to icons will change accordingly. Action changes the primary mode.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 15th '14, 03:28

Jeez... So the keyboard does almost nothing. No wonder I was having trouble.
Presently working on andnomoreshallwepart.sceA

macksting
Aboard the Manus Celer Dei

Post Aug 15th '14, 12:48

To be fair, the only mouse controls I use are looking and primary/secondary trigger. It all depends on your configuration.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 17th '14, 22:51

Also, just found a tutorial video I made when VM.lua was first being developed. It's not 100% accurate but should give you some sense of how things work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9LvXiuvA4

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 4th '15, 18:03

A nice key for controls here. Thanks!

irons wrote:The cheat sheet is in the interface. The icons at the top of the screen are taken from Infinity's control-mapping graphics. Valid controls are:

Microphone (stand mic icon)
    Action (hand icon)
    Previous Weapon (left arrow icon over some green blocks)
    Next Weapon (right arrow ditto)
    Primary Trigger (handgun icon)
    Secondary Trigger (grenade icon)
    Overhead Map

Generally, trigger actions somehow affect what you're looking at. In Texture mode, clicking primary textures whatever you're looking at. Holding it aligns the texture. Secondary copies the texture (and/or light). In Move mode, they choose/teleport to the selected polygon.

Mic and overhead map keys change the mode, bringing different context to the other keys. Text next to icons will change accordingly. Action changes the primary mode.

dustu

Return to Mapping