Eureka! helloworld.sceA saved and loaded

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Eureka! helloworld.sceA saved and loaded

Post Aug 13th '14, 05:21

There we have it! A 10' x 10' room with painted walls and a spawn point!
And when you walk into a wall, the game quits to desktop. But hey, one thing at a time.

Anyway, I'm setting up this little topic if nothing else just as a place to vent while I start learning all this from scratch.
Presently working on andnomoreshallwepart.sceA

macksting
Aboard the Manus Celer Dei

Post Aug 13th '14, 05:48

You can't just casually mention a level that awesome and not provide a download link.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 13th '14, 06:10

*snickers* Well said, good sir. Sorry, but it's not yet ready for primetime!

macksting

Post Aug 13th '14, 06:47

I'm guessing your room consists of only one polygon. That may be behind the crashing. Try splitting it into two.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 13th '14, 07:15

Presently looking at the Forge tutorials. Thanks for the tip. If that isn't adequately covered in the tutorial videos (which are not perfectly compatible with Weland so far...), I'll come back with specific questions.

macksting

Post Aug 13th '14, 17:57

I think you'll want three polygons if you want collision detection to work.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 13th '14, 18:04

I'm imagining a last-man-standing multiplayer mode where players spawn in this room and have to blast the other players into the walls to crash their game.

But otherwise, I would imagine as Irons said, the map requires more polygons.

Zott
Earth

Post Aug 13th '14, 18:40

Nevertheless, it seems like it would be a good test to drop some grenade launchers in there.

macksting

Post Aug 13th '14, 21:22

For some reason, I can't replicate the "thud-crash," so now the walls are merely "bouncy."
Anyway, I'm watching the Forge tutorials, and I can't seem to obtain one of the results. In Forge's visual mode, you can raise and lower floors by pressing Caps Lock and click-dragging. How does one do this in Aleph One Visual Mode, or at least in Weland?
Edit: I'm presently taking the Forge videos sequentially, naming my maps according to where I'm at in them.
Addendum: I couldn't find a meaningful "raise floor" result in the Content Creation forums, so I figured I'd ask here. My apologies if I'm duplicating a thread. How acceptable is that?

macksting

Post Aug 14th '14, 04:39

Visual Mode.lua cannot lower and raise polygons.

You'll need to resort to using Weland. There is an editor which shows relative elevations using color shades and numbers.

Access by using View-> Elevation-> Ceiling (or Floor) OR the corresponding pictograph button.

When the colored box interface appears, click the desired height/floor value then the respective polygon to apply the value. Double click on the empty box of the elevation interface to set a new elevation swatch.
Last edited by Zott on Aug 15th '14, 08:43, edited 2 times in total.

Zott
Earth

Post Aug 14th '14, 05:22

Noted. I'm afraid that's another failing of the Forge tutorials for my purposes, but I'm getting the hang of it.
Maybe when I'm actually decent at this I'll start my own tutorial.

macksting

Post Aug 14th '14, 20:19

For what it's worth, even when I was using Forge I never set heights in visual mode. I think it's for the best that you get an idea of the actual values of elevations using weland/"draw mode".

$lave

Post Aug 14th '14, 21:13

Yes, setting heights in visual mode was terrible.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 15th '14, 08:49

Good to know. Though I confess the option looked nice. I still prefer numbers over visuals, though, so I'm fine with what I get instead.

On a wholly other note, I decided to see what happens if you make two polygons share one wall, but they come at it from the same side. No blue line, but Aleph One gets very upset. Functions like a bee trap with a transparent wall permeable from only one side.
I mentioned it to somebody in the meta, and he said, "Load it up!"
I did tell him I suspected it was a very bad idea, but he seemed amused by the premise, so I gave it another spawn point and we went in to try it out.
He gets past the bee trap part, looks around. So I take aim and shoot.
CRASH! C++ library panic, Abort Retry Fail? Abort didn't help. I had to hard boot.

So! Don't do that.
I mean, I knew better, but it's fun to test boundaries.

Addendum: Pity, really. It would have uses. Jono and I seem fond of weird topology, and folding would be a great example. It's more his thing than mine by some margin, but it's obviously enough my thing that I built two levels testing the matter.

macksting

Post Aug 15th '14, 20:38

Once you've got the basics down, you can learn to build traps and wormholes with Lua. When you can control a player's position at every tick, all manner of possibilities open up.

Hopper

Post Aug 15th '14, 23:25

Like what, in Weland terms? Was my adventure here something which could be rehabilitated into a dubiously useful game mechanic (rather than a C++ error which crashes Windows?)

macksting

Post Aug 16th '14, 00:44

5D space is probably the most unusual topographic thing you can do in Weland*. Lua is something else: an embedded scripting language you can use to do things at runtime. For example, you could make a Lua script that detects when a player reaches polygon x, and instantly move him to polygon y with a new position and orientation. That's probably what Hopper means by a wormhole with lua.

*There's other tricks with this engine I'm sure you'll find interesting in due time, like split polygon voodoo documented by BattleCat for instance, but I recommend learning to walk before you run, so to speak.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 16th '14, 02:31

I'm sorta mixing that up. I'm at Forge Tutorial 3, and that got me thinking about an old plot of mine to make a recessed stripe around each teleporter denoting the color at both destinations; a blue stripe for a blue room (or blue striped room), etc.
Dracheseele tells me there's ways to make non-recessed stripes with a Battle Cat Split Poly, so I'm looking into that as well, but it's a different look.

Edit: Nevertheless, I'm walking more than a bit, even if I try to sprint a bit much here and there.

macksting

Post Aug 16th '14, 04:21

From the way you describe it, your recessed stripe idea sounds perfectly possible in Weland, with no wizardry required.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 16th '14, 06:09

Yeah, figured it out. Even overcomplicated it at first.
It looks pretty. Folks should use it more. It lacks the sheer finesse of varied shading, but a nice, lit colored stripe along the wall seems like just what some maps need.

macksting

Post Aug 16th '14, 10:09

I seem to have achieved a proper split polygon, so it seems I can now make pretty stripes which are not recessed into the wall.
The recessed light strip or stripe has its own uses, of course. However, both are welcome additions to my tool box.

macksting

Post Aug 17th '14, 08:11

So, uh... liquids are a type of light.
Forge was weird. Can somebody translate this into Weland for me? Is oscillation the same as strobe? Or is media from that dropdown the same as the media in Forge's "View" -> Lights menu?

macksting

Post Aug 17th '14, 18:24

I can't really tell what you're asking, but a liquid is different from a light. You set it up using the liquids menu. The light just optionally controls the tide of the liquid. Most people use a smooth light for liquid tides, otherwise it looks retarded.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 17th '14, 18:41

I'm watching the Forge tutorial, and its terminology is radically different in places. Where Forge has Media under its View menu, Weland uses the term in a dropdown under Light parameters when adding a new Light in a dropdown. This is below Strobe, which seems to be where Forge uses the term Oscillate.
The translation isn't very precise, and I've not found Weland-specific tutorials; the conventional wisdom seems to be to learn Weland by watching the Forge tutorials, and attempting anything specific to visual mode in either VML or Vasara. Am I missing something crucial?

Edit:
Nope. Strobe is Strobe, Oscillate is Media, which... Well, Forge was weird, looks like.
And no, Media in the Weland dropdown is not the same as Media in Forge's View menu.
And liquid "light" level in Forge does not mean you can't also make lights in the room, nor that an oscillating liquid tide corresponds to visible lighting, which would be ugly as fuck.

macksting

Post Aug 17th '14, 21:42

The source of confusion still isn't clear. I don't see the term Oscillate used in Weland (1.4.1) or in Forge (1.0.2).

The procedure for making a liquid is the same in both programs:
  • Enter liquid editing mode by going to View->Liquids.
  • Add a new liquid by clicking the "Add" button (Weland) or double-clicking the white square (Forge). Adjust settings as desired.
  • With the new liquid (represented by a red color and the number 0) selected, add it to one or more polygons by clicking on them.
  • If you don't need the liquid to change height, you're done. It stays at high tide by default. Otherwise...
  • Enter any of the light editing modes by going to View->Lights->Floor, Ceiling, or Liquids. This is perhaps the least intuitive part.
  • Make a new light by clicking the "Add" button (Weland) or double-clicking the white square (Forge). For convenience, you can select the preset "Media" (Weland) or "Liquid Tide" (Forge), which will set all the light's settings to be sort of appropriate for a liquid's tide. Otherwise, adjust the settings as desired - the program doesn't care what preset you have or haven't used.
  • Before closing the light parameters, make note of the light's number. If it's the first new light, it'll probably be 21.
  • Go back to liquid editing mode. Edit the liquid you're using. Change the Tide Parameter to 21 or whatever the light you just made is numbered.
  • Next time, you can make the light before the liquid to save steps, or reuse the first light if the tide is cosmetic.

Crater Creator

Next

Return to Mapping