All things being equal, what should one merge?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

All things being equal, what should one merge?

Post Aug 20th '14, 19:47

Though on the whole Marathon Infinity = Marathon Infinity, there are still times things go awry and games fall out of sync, or other circumstances cause the game to become less enjoyable. As one can merge physics, Lua, MML, shapes and such into a map, it seems like that would make it easy to send the stock assumptions and such with any maps one merges.
What's the minimum decent amount of merged stock Marathon Infinity material one should put out with a netmap pack? I assume shapes are best left to the individual player; they'd take a long time to send.

Bonus question: If one is feeling particularly daft, could one use appropriate merging to demonstrate a Marathon 1 map in a Marathon Infinity manner by merging the appropriate physics, shapes, MML, etc.? I wouldn't want to make much use of this knowledge, lest I be lynched, but it would be a good test of my knowledge down the line.
Presently working on andnomoreshallwepart.sceA

macksting
Aboard the Manus Celer Dei

Post Aug 20th '14, 20:52

Don't merge any of that crap into your netmaps. Maybe just the stock infinity Lua.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 20th '14, 21:27

Suits me. Less to bundle means less to send and less work.

macksting

Post Aug 21st '14, 03:55

Okay. I'll bite. Where is that Lua?

macksting

Post Aug 22nd '14, 18:49

W'rk is having a bit of fun with you -- Marathon Infinity predates Lua by several years. His point stands, though: don't merge stock behaviors into your maps. Many OOS problems can't be prevented no matter what you merge, and you'll annoy those who've installed mods that don't affect gameplay. Plus, as you point out it's less work.

On a related topic, If you do add custom physics or MML to create a non-stock experience, please make that very clear in your map's Read Me file.

macksting wrote:could one use appropriate merging to demonstrate a Marathon 1 map in a Marathon Infinity manner

This topic just came up at another forum. That sort of packaging is on our to-do list, but right now some Marathon 1 features and physics can't be applied to Marathon Infinity-format maps.

Hopper

Post Aug 22nd '14, 20:29

Yeah, I looked around quite a lot, saw nothing; even before I posted a reply, I thought,"Wr'k's messing with me, isn't he."
Live and learn.
I'm actually glad not to have to worry about throwing in Lua and physics. I do like the idea of being able to just export the occasional Marathon 1 map and features into a map file down the line, but it might've actually prevented me from simply converting a map up, which is a better test of my early skills.

I don't think I'm quite there yet anyway. There's a lot I need to read about.

Addendum: Oh, and yeah, a ReadMe is a great place to specify that. I was thinking I'd restrict such things to playtesting among friends, but if for some daft reason something catches on and I feel the need to host it, I'll make abundantly clear the Lua and/or physics differ.
Are people as particular about shapes and textures? I don't intend to get into that at all soon, but it can be good to know.

macksting

Post Aug 22nd '14, 21:01

macksting wrote:Are people as particular about shapes and textures? I don't intend to get into that at all soon, but it can be good to know.

Yeah, people complained about DOUCHEMAPS because their high res textures didn't work with it. Otherwise, I'm sure everyone would use it constantly.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 22nd '14, 23:47

Ah, yeees, that could be an issue. I suppose one could put explicit warnings, but it certainly means the HD/non-HD problem would make it useless as a netmap. Without HD, it'd look terrible to a great many players. With HD, it would crash my computer, and possibly that of others.
Mostly mine, but still, it means it's a known issue to which I, of all people, should be sensitive.

macksting

Return to Mapping